Roland Fantom X7 output level

Johnny B

I have a Roland Fantom X7. I think the output level is unusually low. The other day I had that and an Alesis QS6.1 plugged into the same mixer, and the Alesis -- not exactly known for having a hot output -- was much louder. Everyone raves about the Fantom line, and a friend of mine says his is very loud. I must be doing something stupid, but I've checked everything I'm aware of. Anybody else have a similar problem?

check to see if you've maybe got a pad engaged on that channel... swap it to the channel the alesis is on to try it out.... some older rolands had a switch on the back for different levels check that too...

I have an X6. One thing to note is that the Fantoms have 1/4" balanced outs-- so make sure you don't have a funky cable issue. Either 2-conductor patch cords or 3-conductor should work if they're straight through.

There's also a master level control in the system settings page. Should be able to get there with the menu key (don't have mine in front of me right now). It should default to full on, but if you've edited and saved your system settings to internal memory you may have overwritten it.

You can also pull down a pdf copy of the manual from Roland's web site, if you don't have one handy. Might show something else that you/we are overlooking.

Good luck!

My synths all have radically different output levels. By far, my Roland JV1010 has the lowest, its ridiculously low. My Yamaha is medium, my Korg superloud.

I was right -

I was right - I had done something stupid. By the way, thanks for the input, particularly the cable thing. TRS cables make a big difference. But I had already checked that, as well as the level control. So I got to thinking, and I remembered that when I programmed splits and layers, anything that bypassed the effects section was considerably louder. So I reasoned it must have something to do with that. I started poking around and found the "Effects SW" page, and there you press buttons to activate and deactivate modules, of which one is "Master" - that was blanked out. I pressed the corresponding button and .. BINGO.

I was right - I had done something stupid. By the way, thanks for the input, particularly the cable thing. TRS cables make a big difference. But I had already checked that, as well as the level control. So I got to thinking, and I remembered that when I programmed splits and layers, anything that bypassed the effects section was considerably louder. So I reasoned it must have something to do with that. I started poking around and found the "Effects SW" page, and there you press buttons to activate and deactivate modules, of which one is "Master" - that was blanked out. I pressed the corresponding button and .. BINGO.

Something still doesn't seem right about that. That switch only turns on/off the master output's multi-band compression. If you turned it "on" (make the button red) and got a louder signal then there's a good chance some compression is going on, which you may not want.

Back