Roland E-09 ; repair, sell or make do?

foxwaves

Hello Friends,

I took a gamble and bought an as-is Roland E-09 from an auction site, and including s/h I have about $225 in it. Probably too much already! It came without a power cord, but I connected a 9v multi-adaptor to it and..nothing happened. So, I took it to my shop (I'm a carpenter who tinkers with gadgets too), opened it up and cleaned out a lot of pet hair, lint and so on and looked for some obvious problem but saw none; obvious to me excludes testing the pcb because I'd be clueless there. But, when hooked the keyboard back up, it powered on, but about 36 of the 61 keys don't work, or do only with very firm pressure. Even worse, it tends to make a static sound and suddenly reverts to the power-up screen while it's being played.

I really liked a lot of the voices, especially the sax ones. And it has some nice percussion, too. I've since found I can get a factory refurbished E-09 for $429 with full factory warranty plus an extra year. Knowing it would probably cost more than $200 to have mine repaired...I'm thinking I should either try to sell it on ebay for a few bucks as a "fixer" and consider my loss stupid tax, or maybe keep it as a somewhat erratic drum machine.

What would you do? Thanks for your advice.

Does the 9v adaptor have enough current to run it properly? Is it a D.C. input or an A.C. one? Worth checking if you haven't already done so.
Just looking on google and it seems you need 2 amps at 9V to run this device. It's highly unlikely that your multi-adaptor supplies that sort of current. I'd say that's where your problem lies.

Back