Rode NT2000 - one of a kind

Hey folks;

I heard about the forthcoming product from Rode, which isn't even on their site yet. A google search comes up only with sites in German. Apparently it is the NT1000 or the NTK mic with a series of pots that adjust a variety of completely variable settings, including bass rolloff and even polar pattern. Yes... polar pattern. It can, apparently, go from very cardioid to very omni, and figure 8 - all in one capsule. Holy crap!

Does anyone know more about this mic that they can share?

Chris

Yes, that now you can buy it in Sweden. But it's still not on Rodes website, and I foresee great complexity and/or neglectance in the datasheet when it comes to the polar plots.

With those dials, definitely doesn't win style points. But definitely near the top of my need to listen to mics list...

DJL said:
Wow, cool mic... I wonder what it sounds like.

(Bear with me everyone whilst I start the rumourmill)

OK, This is one great mic that has very cool features not available ANYWHERE on ANY MIC. This mic is outstanding on everything and in infinitely adjustable to any source. Based on looks alone, I highly recommend this mic for "do-it-all" and "do-it-perfectly" recording situations. My jaw is still dropping and will drop infinitely. When the thing is available, I will be in heaven and will sell all of my junk mics.

Nyuck Nyuck LOL verry funny.
What's up with those dial thingys.... That'll be the first , you'll have to sit /stand there and thumb twist it? weirdo

chessrock said:
Best goddamn mic I've never heard.

I think it would have been great if the dials were on the back of the mic. Provide a cleaner look to the singer or other sound source and the engineer wouldn't have to be on the singer's side of the mic while making adjustments.

Folks, don't make snide remarks before you've seen and heard it. I got one for review and it looks very impressive. Very big, very heavy, and the build quality is top notch. The capsule is unusual too. Sorry, I can't disclose too much info here, right now. It wouldn't be fair toward the magazine that pays me.

Can't be. The NTK has a single diaphragm capsule, the NT 2000 has a dual diaphragm capsule. The NT 2000's is edge determined by the way (i.e. no screw in the middle). I don't know about the NTK's.

If I remember correctly the phrasing in the manual was: "All new Australian conceived and manufactured edge determined capsule". Anyway, the workmanship was outstanding. If you like the sound it's a great mic at a very reasonable price.
The NTK2 looks like a tube version of the NT 2000.

Oh great!.. More techy knobs and dials to turn! What ever happened to tossing a mic on a stand, plugging it in and recording some MUSIC!!!!:mad::eek:

VOXVENDOR said:
Oh great!.. More techy knobs and dials to turn! What ever happened to tossing a mic on a stand, plugging it in and recording some MUSIC!!!!:mad::eek:
I'm guessing you don't use multi pattern mics or fiddle with EQ? :) Personally, I can see myself using a lot of the variable roll-off...very welcome feature. I'm pretty interested in this mic...

Conceived and manufactured in Australia, eh? Looks like Rode is holding true to its word, that it will eventually handle all the stages of mic making at home.

Still think the mic would be a lot better with the dials on the opposite side, facing away from the source.

Back