registering a name?

Are you talking about registering a domain name for the internet, or trademarking your band name? Or something else? What is it you're trying to do?

I like to register a name,I've already got a website that uses the name,but I'd like to "own" the name because I feel it's a very catchy name. Would my city courthouse be the place to go. Maybe it's called a copyright instead of registering,i'm really lost when it comes to this stuff.

billyshuler said:
I like to register a name,I've already got a website that uses the name,but I'd like to "own" the name because I feel it's a very catchy name. Would my city courthouse be the place to go. Maybe it's called a copyright instead of registering,i'm really lost when it comes to this stuff.

From www.copyright.gov:

Can I copyright my domain name?
Copyright law does not protect domain names. The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), a nonprofit organization that has assumed the responsibility for domain name system management, administers the assignation of domain names through accredited registers.

Can I copyright the name of my band?
No. Names are not protected by copyright law. Some names may be protected under trademark law. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for further information.

How do I copyright a name, title, slogan or logo?
Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for further information. However, copyright protection may be available for logo artwork that contains sufficient authorship. In some circumstances, an artistic logo may also be protected as a trademark.

Call a trademark attorney. It's not cheap (probably around $12-1500), but if you have a lot invested into something, it's cheaper than having someone else do it first and leave you changing everything.

Been there, done that, paid off in a big way.

Back