Reflections

Other than a smidge of sibilance it sounds great! Love the differences between verses and choruses. Cool ending - sounds like the mic goes right into the speaker. Are you doing some kind of reversing thing in there ? Sweet guitars in there , vocals are powerhouse as always!

Very cool mix of genres - I think they really augment each other - every time it switches from metal to wood, or wood to metal, it sounds great. The vocals pump. I don't hear anything wrong with the mix. Even the non-verbed guitar thwang at the end. Really, really nice.

Other than a smidge of sibilance it sounds great! Love the differences between verses and choruses. Cool ending - sounds like the mic goes right into the speaker. Are you doing some kind of reversing thing in there ? Sweet guitars in there , vocals are powerhouse as always!

Thanx Gerry!:)
I think the sibilance is more towards the end in the adlibs, I'll fix that. If you mean the very ending, there's no effect there, it's just that I programmed the delay on the lead guitars to cut off right at the very last note. That really sounds like the mic goes into the speakers, but it wasn't intentional. I just didn't want a reverb tail at the end.

Very cool mix of genres - I think they really augment each other - every time it switches from metal to wood, or wood to metal, it sounds great. The vocals pump. I don't hear anything wrong with the mix. Even the non-verbed guitar thwang at the end. Really, really nice.

Thanx Dobro!
I do like to experiment with different genres, I find it gives songs a certain dynamic.

Damn Joey, this is very modern sounding. Not that your other stuff sounds too dated, but this sounds very "right now". I like the reverse vocal swells. I use those occasionally myself.

I really only have two nits, and they're strictly just personal preference.
1) The intro is too long
2) I'm not crazy about the bass tone. It's a little too mellow for me. I'd like to hear a dirtier, more aggressive tone with some bite in the midrange. I wanna hear some pick attack or finger slap in the bass. What you have works, but you know, I just hear it in my head different.

The vocals are stellar, as always. Guitars sound great and just right for the song. What I like best though, is the drums. You didn't go super busy on this song, and I think it really rocks along and flows better than your usual offerings. Well done. :)

Damn Joey, this is very modern sounding. Not that your other stuff sounds too dated, but this sounds very "right now". I like the reverse vocal swells. I use those occasionally myself.

I really only have two nits, and they're strictly just personal preference.
1) The intro is too long
2) I'm not crazy about the bass tone. It's a little too mellow for me. I'd like to hear a dirtier, more aggressive tone with some bite in the midrange. I wanna hear some pick attack or finger slap in the bass. What you have works, but you know, I just hear it in my head different.

The vocals are stellar, as always. Guitars sound great and just right for the song. What I like best though, is the drums. You didn't go super busy on this song, and I think it really rocks along and flows better than your usual offerings. Well done. :)

Phew... (wipes forehead....), I was in anticipation of your comments on the drums. Yep, I'm learning that less is more.
The intro might be a little too long, but I had a video scene in my mind which would fit it perfectly....now all I need is a million dollahs and a producah to make a vid-ee-oh...:D
I'm also not completely happy about the bass tone, I just have to have it growl more.
Yeah the style is a lot more modern on this one and I'll probably be having more of this kind on the next CD. Funnily though, I just can't pin myself to one particular style, which can be good but can also be bad, I don't know. I just do whatever comes in my head without thinking whether it's modern or old.
Thanx for the great comments, Greg, totally appreciate it!:)

Yep, 1 minute for the vocal is too long. Vocal good, it reminded me of the Small Faces Tin soldier.

"A dirtier, more aggressive tone with some bite in the midrange" for the bass. That's right. How do you do that? Does it have to be pick or finger slap? Can you get it with parallel compression or distortion or something? I'm asking because it's something I want to learn for my own bass sound.

I listened twice. Dude... Your vocals are so tight. I love the growl / scream vocals, too. It just fits. Great job on the drums, too. Nicely played. My only nit is that I think the drums are a touch too low in the mix. I loved the intro, guitars, and everything. Right on, Joey. Keep the inspiration flowin'!

"A dirtier, more aggressive tone with some bite in the midrange" for the bass. That's right. How do you do that? Does it have to be pick or finger slap? Can you get it with parallel compression or distortion or something? I'm asking because it's something I want to learn for my own bass sound.

hmmm...paralell compression, that's worth a try. I've added some distortion and it already sounds better. Definitely pick for me 'cos I play bass with a pick...not really a bass player you see...

I listened twice. Dude... Your vocals are so tight. I love the growl / scream vocals, too. It just fits. Great job on the drums, too. Nicely played. My only nit is that I think the drums are a touch too low in the mix. I loved the intro, guitars, and everything. Right on, Joey. Keep the inspiration flowin'!

Hehe...I would love an excuse to make the drums louder, Jason.;)
OK...I'll nudge them up a bit. I'm still getting used to recording those growl vocals, I use an SM 58 for them. Thanx for the comments!:)

:D Whoa! Symphonic comes to mind and you didn't even use anything but guitars from what I can tell, except the intro. I like the intro - I got a total vision of a show opener or first cut/title track of the album. Please don't change it. Well you can always have a radio edit version. :cool: You know how I like to read along while I listen Joey... what gives? Lyrics please. ;) I gotta agree about the bass - needs a tad more oomph, but without that overtone you're getting on that higher note during the verse, right after each vocal passage.
This is a great tune Joe - I love it. :D:D:cool:

I do it by using a pick, playing near the bridge, and dialing in the tone I want from the amp.

If you're recording DI and just leaving it that way, it probably aint gonna happen.

hmmm...paralell compression, that's worth a try. I've added some distortion and it already sounds better. Definitely pick for me 'cos I play bass with a pick...not really a bass player you see...

No, but it's fun playing bass. Never tried a pick. Thanks, you.

I do it by using a pick, playing near the bridge, and dialing in the tone I want from the amp.

If you're recording DI and just leaving it that way, it probably aint gonna happen.

Recently just through the amp, but before that, amp and DI both. Next time I do it both those ways, I'm gonna throw the mic further out from the amp. Thanks, you too.

:D Whoa! Symphonic comes to mind and you didn't even use anything but guitars from what I can tell, except the intro. I like the intro - I got a total vision of a show opener or first cut/title track of the album. Please don't change it. Well you can always have a radio edit version. :cool: You know how I like to read along while I listen Joey... what gives? Lyrics please. ;) I gotta agree about the bass - needs a tad more oomph, but without that overtone you're getting on that higher note during the verse, right after each vocal passage.
This is a great tune Joe - I love it. :D:D:cool:

Thanx Brad!:)
Here you go:

Reflections

I see reflections all around
But I’m asking myself now
Do I know the one I see there

Drowned when I row the other way
Rise to fight another day
Reaffirm my stand in nowhere land

Watcha see now
Watcha think now
How d’you feel now

I’m the loser
I’m the traitor
I’m a failure
You put it into my head
I’m the tailor
Instigator
Kill the hater
You put it into my head
Into my head

I see it fall like breaking glass
I just feel I wanna pass
I’m just tired of communicating

I can see now
I can think now
I can feel now

I’m the loser……

Why do I have to die
Do I want to lie
Do I need to
I won’t even try

I see reflections all around
But I’m asking myself now
Do I know the one I see there

I’m the loser……

Oh, never take this down
Into my head
Oh, never take this down

Sounds like a really strong mix to me joey. I wouldn't shorten the length of the intro either - for me, the melody is just one part of the song and I don't see that it needs to be a race to get the vocals started. Plenty of cool, unexpected changes throughout, like when the acoustic first comes in. Nice.

Sounds like a really strong mix to me joey. I wouldn't shorten the length of the intro either - for me, the melody is just one part of the song and I don't see that it needs to be a race to get the vocals started. Plenty of cool, unexpected changes throughout, like when the acoustic first comes in. Nice.

Thanx Rob, glad you like it!:)
I kind of like the intro as it is too, I'ts a good build-up to the rest of the song.

Back