Recording vocals seperately?

BALKI

I just don't get it. I am able to record just fine in Audition , but only stereo. In the past with my onbaord card I could record my vocals seperatley in Audition while still being able to hear the beat while doing it . With this mixer & card I can't seem to do that. The mixer I have is the Yamaha MG 10/2. It doesn't have subgroup outs or buss. I don't know if that might be the issue to this. Is there a mixer out there that can mute the music so it won't read in audition, but i will still be able to hear it through my mixer so i can record just my vocals to the beat? I've tried everything you could imagine with tinkering the settings in audition & mycard settings plus re-routing this mixer. No solution if anyone can help it will be much apprecited thnx.

The gear I'm using
Audio interfaces: M-audio Quattro
EMU 0404
Mixer: Yamaha MG 10/2
When i record in adobe audition the beat gets recorded with the vocals. In multitrack one track is usually the beat and the others are the vocals but when i listen to the vocal part alone it still has the beat and I record with headpones in my mixer.

I have an M-audio Quattro Audio Interface & using a Yamaha MG10/2 Mixer.
Theres only a playback option in the control panel in quattro, but no recording.

BALKI said:
I just don't get it. I am able to record just fine in Audition , but only stereo.

Sounds like a setting. Have you tried selecting record left channel only? Check the CEP board I think there is a sticky on tracks being bleeding onto another track, unless it's headphone bleed. Hope this helps some.

BALKI said:
I just don't get it. I am able to record just fine in Audition , but only stereo. In the past with my onbaord card I could record my vocals seperatley in Audition while still being able to hear the beat while doing it . With this mixer & card I can't seem to do that. The mixer I have is the Yamaha MG 10/2. It doesn't have subgroup outs or buss. I don't know if that might be the issue to this. Is there a mixer out there that can mute the music so it won't read in audition, but i will still be able to hear it through my mixer so i can record just my vocals to the beat? I've tried everything you could imagine with tinkering the settings in audition & mycard settings plus re-routing this mixer. No solution if anyone can help it will be much apprecited thnx.

The gear I'm using
Audio interfaces: M-audio Quattro
EMU 0404
Mixer: Yamaha MG 10/2
When i record in adobe audition the beat gets recorded with the vocals. In multitrack one track is usually the beat and the others are the vocals but when i listen to the vocal part alone it still has the beat and I record with headpones in my mixer.

I have an M-audio Quattro Audio Interface & using a Yamaha MG10/2 Mixer.
Theres only a playback option in the control panel in quattro, but no recording.

Hey Again!!!

Still not working Eh?

I still think you need a board that has direct outs for each channel. You have a stereo mixer. The drum tracks on Audition are beeing fed to the board and you are recording vox thru 1 channel and the signal cominig out is a mix of the drum tracks and vox. That is because you have no direct out for the vox channel( it's a stereo MIX ). Are you routing the output L&R from your computer into the channel inputs (maybe channel 1&2) and recording vox on channel 3? If that is the case there should be some kind of control room input or stereo input next to the stereo outputs. Plug the outputs there. If that is not the case the you need a new board. One that is made for recording. Hope this works. Describe you signal routing so I know what is going on. I am on a mission now to get your system running. I am suspecting now Signal Routing. I am almost sure it is somthing easy since we went thru all the hard stuff.

Ok so what your saying is soundcard outs>>> channel 1 &2 of mixer
soundcard ins>>>> 2TR in

Is that how i should route it?

BALKI said:
Ok so what your saying is soundcard outs>>> channel 1 &2 of mixer
soundcard ins>>>> 2TR in

Is that how i should route it?

NO!!!

Describe your signal route in detail please.

Ok heres what i did soundcard outs>>>>>>>>> stuck them half way in channel 1 & 2 on my mixer and panned channel 1 hard left & channel 2 hard right on my mixer is this what i do?

Wheres do my ins go?

Thnx for any help man.

Do you need a picture of my mixer? I took everything out everything completely.

Right now I have my soundcard outs L & R>>>>>>>> Channel 1 & 2 on my mixer

Soundcard ins>>>>> Haven't hooked em in anything yet. Waiting on your suggestion

I would connect the output of the soundcard to the line inputs of channel 9/10.

Connect your mic to the mic input of channel 1.

plug the input of the soundcard half-way into the insert jack of channel one

OR

plug the input of the soundcard into the aux send. Then turn up the aux knob on channel 1 to get your level to the computer.

If you use the insert, the EQ won't get recorded, if you use the aux, the EQ will get recorded.

Thnx man that works where i get to hear the beat & just record my vocals. Now if i want to record the music & the beat would i have to switch it to something different?

So when i do this it seems it's only recording out the right channel so in adobe audition do i switch it to mono & select the right channel? Becuase when i chose stereo it was only recording out the right, but when i chose right channel it was recording all the mic signal. I basically have one plug connected in half way in channel one & the other is just out hanging is this right?

Last edited:
I'm seeming to get good stereo recording with it hooked up like this?

Soundcard Ins>>>>> ST Outs
Soundcard Outs>>>> Ch.1 half way in the insert, Ch.2 half way in the insert

The recordings seems alot better when i record stereo is this a good option?

Your vocals ar in mono. One mic, one voice= mono

The soundcard outputs should be plugged into a line input. The insert is for tapping off of the channel.

So this would be better

Soundcard Outs>>>>>>>> Ch.1 line Input & Ch.2 Line input
Soundcard Ins>>>>>>> St. Outs

BALKI said:
So this would be better

Soundcard Outs>>>>>>>> Ch.1 line Input & Ch.2 Line input
Soundcard Ins>>>>>>> St. Outs
If you hook the stereo outs to the soundcard, you will record the beats with the vocal again. This is where you started.

The reason I would pick channel 9/10 for the soundcard outs is because that channel doesn't have mic preamps. IF you put it there, it is out of the way if, at some time in the future, you need to hook up more than one mic at a time. Channel 9/10 is a stereo channel, so it has one volume control controling the volume instead of two. Personally, I would use the aux for recording so that I could insert a compressor using the inserts.

So can you show me how you would personally hook it up by writing it like this

Soundcard outs>>>>>>>> ?
Soundcard ins>>>>>>>>> ?

On the Aux inserts on my mixer I'm not sure if their outputs? It says Aux send. This is what it says by em.

Aux1(pre)
Aux2

Send means output. As in, you are sending something from the board to the...

An insert is something completely different. That might be part of the confusion.

The mixer has three types of connections:
1. Input (mic, line input, etc...)
2. Output (sends, outputs, etc...)
3. Insert (this is a special jack that is both input and output)

Thx for your kind help Fairview it's really appreciated. Lets say after I'm done recording my vocals seperatley without the beat & wanted to mix it down with the beat how would you do it

Soundcard outs>>>>>>>>>>
Soundcard ins>>>>>>>>>>>

Thnx man if you can tell me your answer to my last question.

Back