Recording vocals / reducing background noise

noiseordinance

Hi there. So this may be a question with no solution so long as I'm recording in my bedroom. I'm recording vocals and pick up a decent amount of background noise (surprise surprise). My computer is in the same room, and I imagine the fans are a decent portion of the noise. When I delete the light hiss between vocal parts, it becomes fairly audible when the silence ends and there is an abrupt hiss of background noise right before the next vocal part. I have attempted to capture a noise reduction profile and run the noise reduction on my vocal samples but that sounds like crap.

Obviously, the answer would be to isolate vocal recording as much as possible, but in an apartment, there's only so much you can do. Just curious if there's any tricks that people use to minimize hiss between vocal parts without making it obvious. I'm thinking for now, the best I can do is run vocals through compression > parametric EQ (something to rid the high-highs and low-lows) > delay and between vocal parts, phase in and out of volume levels so that it's not as apparent?

There are a couple of different tricks you can try.

The first two have to do with eliminating the hiss.

First, try "baffling" the mic. In other words, put something between the microphone and the source of the hiss. Maybe some boxes, maybe some blankets, anythign you can get your hands on. That will help eliminate it. You can also try to make sure the pickup pattern on the mic you're using is not aimed at the source of this hiss. Another option would be to record in a less reflective place - for instance a closet filled with clothes.

Second, make sure you're getting good signal to noise ratios. You can do this by making sure you're right up on the microphone when you record the vocals. You can also do this by making sure there aren't adapters on the cables (if possible - sometimes you have to use them, but bad adapters frequently cause hiss problems)

Third, if neither of the other two options help out you can apply an expander to the track. What it will do is allow everything above the threshold to pass through unaffected, but everything below will fall off more quickly. You can set the ratio for how quickly it will fall off. Just play with the threshold and ratio settings until the vocal itself is unaffected but as soon as it stops the processor begins to cut the sound level.

Hope that helps!

If at all possible, Consider turning your bedroom closed (if capeable to) into a vocal, put some acoustic treatment in it and try to sound proof it as much as possible. As for the fans, I would amaign you would turn them off during vocal recordings as you ARE using a mic :p. If a small vocal booth is not able, try shutting of all electronics that you can (aside from your computer of course), and move your mic to the other side of the room. Acoustic treatment is a must if you want quality recordings... So I've been told...

You could also try what I do and forego a condensor mic and use a super or hypercardiod dynamic mic. No room problems ever unless the furnace or ac blower kicks on. It's on the other side of the room wall so it's easy for even those type mics to pick up.

Also, if you are tracking your vocal with compression, be aware that compression ( if used heavily) will bring the hiss ( background noise) up even louder... If possible, try recording vocals without compression and compress if needed in the mix..Good luck

Ok first question that pops into my mind is what kind of mic are you using? Second is what is your signal chain look like?

Without knowing these things it leads me to 2 conclusions, 1)your mic is not very good or/and 2) your using a line in on your computer.

We need more info to be able to help you. Best thing I can tell is to NOT try and cover up the problem. Just because you sweep it under the rug does not mean its not there. Obviously if your recording hiss, nothing you do is going to cover it up without seriously killing your vocals. My suggestion, is do what M1 said above and buy yourself a dynamic. Sm57's are great all around mics and work well in untreated rooms. They are not very costly either.

Give us some more info and im sure you will get a lot more help.

Ok, well I had a Shure 58 which of course is only decent for live audio. I have recorded vocals with it before, albeit sorta poopy sounding. The guitar center guys stopped me from buying an M-Audio Nova condenser mic and suggested that the Sterling Audio ST51 was much better bang for the buck, so I bought it instead. The ST51 is shock-mounted and connected to my PreSonus TubePre via balanced cable. It runs out via unbalanced 1/4" to 1/4" input on my computer PCI interface (which lacks balanced in). I realize this is a crappy setup and I'm a super broke college student so major upgrades aren't in my foreseeable future. I just figured I'd make the best with what I've got. The suggestion earlier about turning off my computer fans is kinda difficult without overheating my computer. :) I did, however, place some clothing between the computer and the mic which seems to have helped a lot. I kinda like the suggestion about putting the mic in my closet with clothing, and I might have to try that. I just wasn't sure it there's any post-recording tricks that people do to smoothly remove background noise. I know that you can't polish a turd (too much anyways; in the recording world, there are ways to slightly shine turds... see "autotune"). Anyways, thank you guys for all the suggestions. Very helpful... this forum is great. :)

I kinda like the suggestion about putting the mic in my closet with clothing, and I might have to try that.
Also consier te opposite; stick the computer in the closet. One is not necessarily better than the otherl if the closet gets too warm, that may not be the best place for the computer. OTOH, if the acoustics of your bedroom are actually better sounding (the closet will likely be dead as a doornail, which isn't always necessarily the best thing, then leaving the mic in teh room and the PC in the closet - or even out in the hall - might not be a bad option.
I just wasn't sure it there's any post-recording tricks that people do to smoothly remove background noise.
There are what are called "noiseprint"-style noise reducers (Waves and Sony have some decent ones, for example) which can work pretty well - sometimes. What they do is sample a noiseprint of just the noise during the quiet part of the recording and then use that as the "fingerprint: to remove from the whole recording. Often times they work well, but sometimes even those will leave some unwanted artifacting in the remaining signal. There's no way of knowing for sure unless/until you try them as to how well they will work in any given situation. But they are worth a try if you have one. You don't mention which DAW software you use, but it may even come with one.

G.

I use Adobe Audition 3.0 which does have a noise profile / reduction deal that I might have to play with. I know that you select a "quiet" part of the track and then with that sound print, it reduces similar sounds throughout the waveform, but it created some weird noises for sure. Robot sounding noises. :) Might have to move the computer!

I use Adobe Audition 3.0 which does have a noise profile / reduction deal that I might have to play with. I know that you select a "quiet" part of the track and then with that sound print, it reduces similar sounds throughout the waveform, but it created some weird noises for sure. Robot sounding noises. :)
Yeah, that can indeed happen. Or as I like to think it sometimes sounds like a whale in heat :D.

G.

???
Don't know where you got that. Nothing wrong with it.

It wouldn't be my first choice for many singers, but you can make it work.
And it has no problem with electric guitars and drums.

I always thought SM57 was a better down-and-dirty mic for drum and guitar. I mean, I've recorded vocals with a 58, but I'm far more thrilled with the sound of the condenser. It picks up a lot more vocal nuances I believe.... though that's also it's curse, it picks up everything from the neighbors having sex to a mouse fart two apartments down...

Can you post a clip? Are you sure that the noise you are hearing is from the room and not the electronics? I put very little thought into reducing room noise. My computer fan is somewhat loud, and my kids are usually playing in the room, my fridge turns on and off, and the day I stopped caring about room noise is the day my life got easier. I am more limited in how far away the mic can be from the source, but even in a very light mix, the noise is never audible.

If you are hearing the fan, then move the microhone away from the computer and move closer to the microphone, also, as mentioned, point the microphone away from the noise.

Is your computer the only source of noise?? What else could be generating noise?? You can build an iso box for your computer, just be sure to have it ventilated. I'm thinking of doing the same for mine, but it's not too bad and you can't hear the fans whine when I mix vox in with the rest of the tracks.

I just started using a 58 recently and like what I'm getting. I was using an MXL condensor before.

You're right about the sensitivity of condensers. They'll pick up trains, aeroplanes, kids screaming down the road.....I'm still waiting for that random rainy day when whoever is playing drums and I have just finished that cracking take and the mic picks up a serious burst of loud, long thunder !
As for the 58, yeah, they are industry standard and they're used live in churches, clubs and schools all over. But I've used them for recording vocals and they're fine. Chili and Chibi are right here. Drums and guitars too. Bass even. I guess trying out different tools for unexpected applications is an interesting voyage of discovery.

???
Don't know where you got that. Nothing wrong with it.

It wouldn't be my first choice for many singers, but you can make it work.
And it has no problem with electric guitars and drums.

+2 on this.. I recorded a friend with a SM-58 and several people from Label wortheness..:D..thought it was done with a much more expensive mic..!.

.... I'm far more thrilled with the sound of the condenser. It picks up a lot more vocal nuances I believe.... though that's also it's curse, it picks up everything from the neighbors having sex to a mouse fart two apartments down...

Yeah exactly, and apparently pc fans too! :D You'd have an easier time not picking up noise with a 58 than some super sensitive condenser.

Back