recording out of sync

sandwiches

hi, firstly i use Audition 1 to record.

ive been recording some vocals and noticed that it sounded a little different to the way i wanted it to sound. at first, i thought i was just singing out of time, and it was just sorta me "improvising" and naturally changing the song the more i play it.

however, i recorded myself just taping to the beat of the drums, and I noticed something strange. even though when i recorded it, it was perfectly in sync, when i play it back, it slowly phases out of sync.

it is just totally bizarre that this can occur and i was wondering if anyone had a similar problem. the only explanation i can have is that maybe the computer or the program has a different sample rate to the sound card, but u'd think they would all be pretty coordinated.

spdif slip?

Yes. I'm having the same sort of problem. Tracks recorded with my M-Audio 2496's analog input don't sync with tracks recorded with the SPDIF input even though they are recorded at the same time.

The M-Audio control panel is set to sync to external SPDIF and the sample rates match (Vegas, 2496, and SPDIF input are all set at 44.1). I've watched the control panel during takes and the "Locked" indicator never changes. I am using proper 75-ohm coax cable (Monster) for the SPDIF hook-up.

M-Audio tech support copped out and said to upgrade to Window 2000 Service Pack 4 and the latest M-Audio drivers. In my other thread ( https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114897 ), someone suggested that maybe the M-audio panel Driver mode sin't set to "Single and in sync." I haven't had a chance to check this yet, but it sounds like it COULD be the problem.

hi

i never figured out what was actually wrong, but i've figured a way around it.

in Audition, in Options - Settings - Multitrack, put a tick next to "Correct for Drift in Recordings" and after each recording, it'll try to fix it.

I would still like to know what causes it though, as this solution would just estimate the drifting.

Same problem, different solution

I spent six hours yesterday trying to resolve my sync problem. I installed Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 and the latest Delta drivers. This made absolutely no difference. I was able to determine that it was the digital signal that was slipping. The analog were fine. I tried every option or preference setting in the M-Audio Control Panel and Vegas that I could think of. Finally, just as I was about to give up, I turned off the Vegas option to show waveforms while recording. This fixed the problem! It seemed to good to be true. I went back and forth three or four times to replicate and verify. I'm not sure why this would solve the issue though. Maybe there's something about video resources or something. In any event, I think we've got it licked. Forward...

Back