Recording a song - at home....

airyellis

Hi,

So I have a little set up in my home. My goal is to be able to use my computer to record a song using a karaoke track. I've been trying to find an answer all over and can't seem to find what I'm missing. (I'm pretty new with all of this)

To give you an idea of what I'm working with;

My "set - up"
561793_10151145302106985_2027654804_n.jpg

My mixer is;
68859_l.jpg

Very basic, mixer and mics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What you need is an audio interface that will convert the analog audio signal to digital so you can then send it (via USB is typical way) to the computer and the software you are using. I suggest you read the computer recording sticky thread at the top of this forum.

Is there a way to connect the mixer to my computer? ( I prefer not using a USB mic )

You can keep your current mics, and use an audio interface like the others have mentioned. I've used a Tascam US-122L in the past (the updated version of that one is called the US-144), and I would recommend something like that. I found mine cheap on eBay for around $40-50 bucks.
The Lexicon that arcaxis mentioned also does the same things as the US-122L.

All you then need to do is simply install the driver from the manufacturers website (or from the disk that usually comes with the un-used ones), plug in the USB cord from the interface into to you computer, connect your mics via the XLR inputs on the interface, and your ready to rock.

But you may also need a software program like Audacity for example (which is free, basic, and easy to use), to record your audio into.
And from the program, you can then export an audio file of the track(s) you just recorded.

The mixer you have is analog, so you won't be able much in terms of recording to a computer. And the actual audio interface connects via USB, not the mics.
So no USB mic comes into play in this situation.

Hope this helps ya out, let us know if you have any more questions! :)
-DR

Thanks so much for all the reply's.

Sorry for these questions that may sound really dumb. I'm very interested in learning sound boards and what not. I work at a karaoke bar with a professional mixer that I'm really trying to learn.

I've just been looking at YouTube videos for the past few hours. And come to realize that the mixer I have doesn't have any effects. So the only way I could really change the sound would be from a software program, is that correct?

With the high, med, and low dials, I think I have it figured out, but still very confusing. I'm trying to get the best quality for singing.
this is how I've been using it....
8129544566_e4a4869296_b.jpg

// I have connected the mic from to the mixer to the computer and seems to work in Audacity! :D

Last edited:
Sorry guys for all the annoying questions, but now I seem to be really stuck.

I've connected the mic to Rec Out on the mixer and connected it to the laptop, but doesn't seem to be picking it up on the laptop. - sound is coming out of the speakers-

Any ideas???

Your mic needs to be connected to one of the two mic inputs at the top left of the mixer. From the mixer REC OUT to the Line IN on your laptop (or MIC IN, if you don't have Line In), then in whatever recording software you are using, you will probably need to select the Line IN as the input device.

This is how it's all set up... I only hear it coming out of the speakers.

REC OUT:
8132742718_47d5653fd1_b.jpg

Mic is plugged in, and on:
8132743024_8c67ab9aeb_b.jpg

Connected to the computer:
8132743230_848f138ce9_b.jpg

Have any idea what the hell I'm doing wrong? Oh and I'm using Audacity to record.

Thanks for replying!

Guy's I'm so sorry for all these dumbass questions. I hooked up headphone to the computer and tried recording with the sound coming out of the speaker.... it seemed to work, but sounded like poo poo...

8132817887_db1734cda5_b.jpg

Yeah, I've tried messing around with the input and output. Output is perfect (sound coming only from the head phones)

I've tried all the options for the mic, and sound comes out of the speakers, but in Audacity, on the microphone (monitor) nothing seems to be picking up.

8132970916_d0a9120f9e_b.jpg

Your microphone is plugged into the MIC input on your computer? Check your Wndows settings to make sure this isn't muted (that's the typucal default).

Just to clarify what you have setup.... you make reference to a laptop and a computer. Is the laptop separate from the computer? Is the laptop is playing the Karaoke and computer with Audacity is for recording?

The mic is plugged into Input 1. You have other cords connected to inputs and outputs of the mixer. Can you identify where the other cords go?

Fill in the blanks....

Input 9-10 - _______

Rec Out L/R - ________

Mix Out L/R - _________

Just one laptop in this whole thing. (Win 7) --- And mic is not muted. checked the settings bunch of times.

inputs 9-10 are connected to the TV
the ones to far right is the cable im using to hook up the mic to the laptop.

and the two in the back are connected to the moinitors.... here are 2 more pics, to get a better idea of whats going on.

and thank you SO much for all your help!!!!

8135507432_1eb57411a9_b.jpg

excuse the mess lol....

8135499121_b3d5a90efe_b.jpg

Hi, thanks again for all your replys! I'm learning so much! Love it!

When I tried recording in Audacity I turned off the HDMI and plugged in headphones. (I would try and plug headphones into the mixer, but of course I can't find the adapter piece.)

Also when recording, I just use an instrumental MP3 version of the song and have the lyrics in Word or something. I use the 2 mics and TV when I play around and sing karaoke with friends. - This is my first time ever recording myself not on a phone or something :P

Maybe if I try it again and turn off the monitors, it will be different... (going to try that now!)

And most of those buttons on the mixer.... no idea what they mean! I didn't know that was for phantom power... it's now off. I'm using a regular dynamic mic now and don't plan on getting a condenser mic anytime soon... (too much $)

Do you know what the little buttons on the right side do? the 2T RTN and AUX... I've tried getting some effects or something from the all the AUX buttons, but nothing changes, or that I can hear.

and again thank you!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

turned off the monitors... and it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night I ordered the M Audio Fast Track Recording Interface because I was getting pissed off.... dammit....

Not helpful at all, but your dog looks like it's hiding until you get this fixed.

It just has this "how would I know?" look about it.

def will post something once my cold goes away :)

and my dog is my manager/vocial coach lol

THANK YOU SO MUCH ONCE AGAIN!!!!

Back