Recorderman OH

aaronmcoleman

The truth is out there!
Ok, I"m messing around with Recorderman OH. I've usually used the Johns method, but I want to try something different.

I have one directly above the snare about two stick lengths. I got a piece of string so attached to the kick beater and measured to the 1st OH mic, that way I can make sure the second mic is equal distance from the snare and kick.

Now, my question is, the 2nd mic (the one kinda behind the drummer's right shoulder)...how far should it be from the 1st mic? I have the string so I can get the distances from the snare and kick, but about how far should it be from the other OH mic?

I'm just looking for a starting point, I'll move things around based on how it sounds.

Thanks!

I don't think there's a specific spot for that second mic. The general consensus is "over the drummers shoulder", but that's a little vague. When I used recorderman, I kept that second mic around my ear.

i thought the rule of thumb was the first mic is two stick lengths from the centre of the snare, and the second mic is also two stick lengths from the centre of the snare just over the drummers shoulder, and the string measurement means the two mics are an exact distance apart

like this;

Cool, thanks guys. Thanks for the video.

I know once you get them the same distance from the kick and snare, there are a lot of places it can go and still be on the right line. I'm just going to start like Greg said around the drummer's ear and work from there.

Thanks! I'll post some clips once I've got them tracked and you all can tear them apart and help me get better!

I got rid of the first mic and just use the over the shoulder one. Take 2 drum sticks and place them end to end and point it directly at the capsule of the microphone, I will post some sounds later it gives a really good balanced sound

Back