ok, i need help picking a drum kit! same song, two kits..

GONZO-X

im' trying to decide which drum kit between two i've built, work best for this song.
i posted the 1st version of the song already, but now i want to try at least one different kit that i've been working on. a more rock sounding kit.

both are from the toontracks superior drummer 'rooms of hansa' expansion kit.

here's the song:

and here's the kit used:

gonzo-hansa-live-kit.png

1st version of this song, uses this kit,
this kit is a bit unique compared to the usual kit i use:
the basis of the kit is a CAMCO set. it's a vintage set.

i like it for a dry almost 70's kind of kick and impact.
this kit is setup in the "Live" room.

ok,
here's the 2nd song version:

2nd version, with new kit:

hansa-masshoff-marble-room.png

this kit is built around a Masshoff kit:
"This is a very special kit, custom-built by Berlin-based boutique drum manufacturer Udo Masshoff. The stand-out feature in these drums is the the so-called “twin shells.” These shells make use of both steel and maple, resulting in drums that produce very warm, powerful and unique tones with an amazing frequency range."

this kit is setup in the "Marble" room.
room mics used to great affect.

ok.... about a dozen other folk have responded as well, other web pages, PM's, most seem to like the V2 over the V1, but no one else has said anything about spitting or blankets. interesting.

Dig the tune more every time I hear it! I prefer a lot of the first mix, though I like where it is headed! I think this is a hard genre to capture well without tape; in my experience, the drums are more effective in translating/transmitting when super dry for this style, but that's just me and the albums I love of the era (For me, I hear 1975-1985) The SD kits are odd sometimes, but I have found great success with The 'Southern Soul 70's kit Dampened (room mics off) and or the Vintage Rock 1978 kit with all room mics/ambience off for that era. But, of course, you may have a completely different vision! I am looking at drums in regard to the instrumentation and vibe.

Spitting on the cymbals' is a good analogy for the first set. Kit sounds good, though buried on my system, but the cymbals sound thin and hissish/harsh. Although you are not asking for production input so forgive, you may consider doubling that cymbal midi hit with a ride cymbal or heavier, darker crash and blending them for fullness. It works for me with drums! This tune has so much great movement and energy on its own; the drums don't need to be noticed, but they are in 'kit 2'.

Night Ranger Midnight Madness album is a great example of a drummer you don't notice or Loverboy working for the weekend.

This Iron Maiden tune has a killer drum presence while being dry. Thanks for sharing man!

I prefer 2, as it sound more like an old recording of drums vs todays modern kits. Version 2 is definitely "rounder" sounding, not nearly as snappy as the first version. I think it fills in the sound better. Cymbals could maybe be a slight bit louder.

ok.... about a dozen other folk have responded as well, other web pages, PM's, most seem to like the V2 over the V1, but no one else has said anything about spitting or blankets. interesting.
Well I get what he meant, and agree with him. Are you sure these are the 2 best-suited kits for the song?

Dig the tune more every time I hear it! I prefer a lot of the first mix, though I like where it is headed!
thanks 58

The SD kits are odd sometimes, but I have found great success with The 'Southern Soul 70's kit Dampened (room mics off) and or the Vintage Rock 1978 kit with all room mics/ambience off for that era.
you know, i've always been curious about that kit.
maybe a future purchase...?
Spitting on the cymbals' is a good analogy for the first set. Kit sounds good, though buried on my system, but the cymbals sound thin and hissish/harsh.
i can experiment quite a bit with the cymbals, maybe change a few out.
kit on my system is loud and up front.
appreciate the suggestions!

I prefer 2, as it sound more like an old recording of drums vs todays modern kits. Version 2 is definitely "rounder" sounding, not nearly as snappy as the first version. I think it fills in the sound better. Cymbals could maybe be a slight bit louder.
yea, i like #2.
had to do #1 to get to #2.
LOL, that sounds phucked up.

the snappy i can probably bring more of that out with some envelope controls and eq. maybe a transient plug.
THE small tweaks in the kit mix will come once i commit to a single kit...
but yea, i like #2 as well.

thanks 58

you know, i've always been curious about that kit.
maybe a future purchase...?

i can experiment quite a bit with the cymbals, maybe change a few out.
kit on my system is loud and up front.
appreciate the suggestions!
Yeah, man, that’s cool. That’s how it goes: asking the world to listen to stuff in their own spaces and give feedback! Useful but limited! A lot of what you have going on is working well, so carry on!

I have really enjoyed the Southern Soul 70’s Set. More so than the ’70s Rock Camco/Arnold kit or Vintage Kits. I have a few tunes with it, but none with this many overdriven guitars. However, I did recreate the Rockford Files theme a couple of years back with it. It has no Vox, but it does have a lot of good energy, melody lines, and clean guitar stacking.

Last edited:
ok, just published a new version of this with a revamped drum kit, using a lot of suggestions from listeners

Dig it, Robert. Best sounding drum mix (in the mix) and cymbals for sure; I can hear/feel the cymbal hit at 00:18 at the start of the verses now. The cymbals sound good throughout, you addressed the splat nicely. Version one drum tones and vocal mix are still my preference. But I hear the tune with a 70s vibe and that's just me~ V1 may be a bit thinner or flatter, but it has more overall clarity. The vocals are closer, and I like that. That said, if I weren't purposefully listening, I'd just say, 'Sounds great, man!'. Look forward to your final version (if this isn't it) 8-)

Second kit. The first one's snare sounds sharper and to me is harsh. Probably why some think the second sounds like there's a blanket. Cymbals in both sound a bit thin but IMO cymbals are difficult to sound good. I always have cymbals on there own track and add EQ. I actually dislike the hihat sound. Very weak and thin to me. I'm being nit-picky though because overall you did a great job. Next time I log into BC I will hit the follow button.

Second kit. The first one's snare sounds sharper and to me is harsh. Probably why some think the second sounds like there's a blanket. Cymbals in both sound a bit thin but IMO cymbals are difficult to sound good. I always have cymbals on there own track and add EQ. I actually dislike the hihat sound. Very weak and thin to me. I'm being nit-picky though because overall you did a great job. Next time I log into BC I will hit the follow button.
thanks markmann!
yea, i addressed all those issues on the 3rd version, i think #3 is very close now!
appreciate the feedback

Back