Recommend me good software for mastering from tape to PC.

BluesPower

I need software for mastering stuff from an analog mixer to computer.

I don't need any fancy effects, multitracking capabilities or anything (though compression would be nice). The most important for me is how easy it is to set the levels evenly, maybe have the program do this automatically, if possible.

Currently, I'm using something I found on the net called "Polderbit Sound Recorder." I don't know how good it is compared to other software, if there is something better, I want to get that.

I'll appreciate any recommendations.

Cakewalk Pyro 2004 is designed to allow people to record their old LP's and tapes into their computer and then turn them into CD's and MP3's...I have used it to put my own mixes (from a conventional cassette player or a 4-track cassette recorder) into the computer...it has something that is called a "loudness maximizer" which you can apply to your recorded file which works sort of like a compresser. For more info: http://cakewalk.com/Products/Pyro/default.asp

I have Sound Forge 6.0 and I think it's really good. If you're going from tape to digital and find you are hearing some hiss, noise, or other sounds common with older analog formats, i'd also recommend getting the Waves Restoration plugins. They work really well for me. However, they are about $800 which can hurt your budget Hope this helps.

See if you can dig up a copy of WaveLab Essentials (I'm pretty sure that's the name - If not, it's something similar). It's a "lite" copy of WaveLab, and if I rememeber correctly, it's only around $90.

There's a basic editor that comes bundled with Nero 6. Does the job well, including cutting it up into the bits that are the actual song, from the monster recording.

Back