rechargeable 9v (for effects)

I generally use rechargeables and have been for a long time now. Since the introduction of NiMH batteries, we've seen the mA-Hr ratings go up from 800 to 2500 for most AAA-D cells (good alkalines generally have a nominal 2400 mA-Hr rating), but the "square" 9V cells have stayed at 150 mA-Hr, just like their NiCd predecessors. The 9V NiMH batteries charge better but there are some things to consider:

(1) They lose charge in storage. Some say that you should figure 1% per day. My experience is that the 9V batteries lose charge in storage at a faster rate.

(2) If your alkaline battery gets you through three gigs without replacing, then you'll be able to get through a gig on a 9V NiMH. My experience is that they drain over twice as fast as an Alkaline for most pedals, wireless transmitter, tuners, etc.

(3) You should always charge a spare for each applied battery. Sometimes you get a false charging. Sometimes you get an inexplicable drain.

(4) Always have spare alkalines. Sometimes you don't remember to get the charging process organized in time.

Paj
8^)

(1) They lose charge in storage. Some say that you should figure 1% per day. My experience is that the 9V batteries lose charge in storage at a faster rate.
Old thread, but anyway:

Makes sense, since a 9V battery is a stack of 6 1.5V cells; if each loses 1% per day, the battery would lose 6% per day.

I can't imagine that if you A/B'ed the difference between a chain of pedals with batteries and then the same chain with an AC adapter that the AC adapter wouldn't be noisier.

I've had 3 different AC adapters, and all of them were noisier than using batteries.

Old thread, but anyway:

Makes sense, since a 9V battery is a stack of 6 1.5V cells; if each loses 1% per day, the battery would lose 6% per day.

Um, no. Six times 1% of 1.5 is still only 1% of 9. I have no clue about rechargeable battery life or losses, but your math is not correct.

I can't imagine that if you A/B'ed the difference between a chain of pedals with batteries and then the same chain with an AC adapter that the AC adapter wouldn't be noisier.

I've had 3 different AC adapters, and all of them were noisier than using batteries.
Maybe for recording where every tiny bit of noise is objectionable ...... but the difference between the two noise-wise is pretty small. The only time I can really hear it is if the club is perfectly quiet which is rarely the case.
A good power supply certainly won't create enough noise to be a problem for live use.

Um, no. Six times 1% of 1.5 is still only 1% of 9. I have no clue about rechargeable battery life or losses, but your math is not correct.
You're right. :)

I was figuring since each cell loses 1% of its charge per day, and there are 6 cells, the battery loses 6% of its charge per day, forgetting to total the charges.

Depends on how good the power regulator in your power supply is. I'm making my own power supply, and I'm using a hugely over sized heat sink, and a better than needed regulator, which should get things right where they need to be. I MAY even end up using two regulators (one 12 volt, which feeds the 9 volt), thus getting my power much cleaner than you would typically see. You could even run through two bridge rectifiers, though I don't really see the point (other than that a bridge rectifier is nothing more than 4 three cent diodes). Hell, if your uncomfortable working with 120v AC, you can even use a wall wart to get your power, and just run it's (rather dirty) DC into the bridge rectifier, and on through the rest of the circuit. There's a couple of schematics out there that even allow you to "sag" the power to your effects (which some people say makes some analog effects sound better).

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

digital effects pedals rapidly drain batteries. while I could use ac adaptors they tend to use up 2-3 outlet spaces. I've seen many AA NiMH rechargeables but thusfar few for 9V. Do they exist? What mAh rating is required for use with guitar effect (like with Digitech MultiChorus XMC)?

thanks
sathyan

go to a dollar store and get a 3 way plug that has one plug on the top end.
Then, you can have some adapters plugged in normal, and some higher with the cheap plug. This works for me.

Back