Reaper....all other multi-track software is a rip!

I tried this out today just to see how it would hang with my uad card.
Have to say, I'm impressed. Compared to my Cakewalk GT3 and its shitty vst wrapper, this is miles better. I can now run the Precision EQ, Limiter and multiband all together if I want - unprecented.

There doesn't seem to be any automatic plugin delay compensation, but it's not a biggie I can just use the DC plug to do it.

I like how it makes all the Cakewalk plugs available too.

Just one question - is there a Bounce function? Say I just want to create a stereo submix of the drums on a new track.... I can see a Render, a Save to disk and an Export. I'm not sure what the differences are..

Bulls Hit said:
There doesn't seem to be any automatic plugin delay compensation, but it's not a biggie I can just use the DC plug to do it.

That is not true at all! If you are having a problem with plugin delay compensation, you should let Justin know all the particulars. The first version, as far as I know, how plugin latency compensation.

rendering.jpg

Make sure "Auto Adjust For Recording Latency" is selected.

And for UAD-1 users, make sure the "Block size to use when rendering" Is the same size of your ASIO drivers sample size.

See photo.

Never had to do any bouncing myself but I guess this is how you would do it.....I think.

Wait hold the presses, do you have 1.28 yet? There is a consolidate/export tracks, is that what you need? Things keep on getting added and I don't even know whats been added sometimes....

consolidate doesnt apply the FX, its for exporting all your edits as one wave file per track to use in <lesser> apps, or for me, as a glue tool to remove edits, or most importantly for me, to remove the "edit limit" that can occur when you got too many splits and fades going on.

Anyhow for live bouncing, remember reaper allows you to record not only the INput of a track but the OUTput as well.

Under file menu, or CTRL-Alt-B is "save live output to disk"

Do you suppose the Reaper developer could / would implement something like MediaBay by Steinberg into this software..

Because VST's are becoming so much an important tool in recording things like Kore, Receptor and Mediabay all bring some nice controls to the VST party..

What do you guys use to get the most out of your VST world?

pipelineaudio said:
what does mediabay do?
Hey Aaron I haven't yet started to even use Reaper but I am very excited about diving in as soon as I get my DAW PC back up and running..next couple of weeks..

Here's a cut and paste from Steinberg to explain what Mediabay and it's periphials do. Mainly helps you manage Vst's http://www.steinberg.net/1024+M52087573ab0.html#

Media Management
SoundFrame - Universal Sound Manager

SoundFrame™ is the collective name for a number of new features that form a breathtakingly powerful new system that manages all your sounds, presets and loops in one centralized database. Thanks to the excellent integration within the creative composition and production processes, SoundFrame™ has the power to revolutionize your workflow. The heart of SoundFrame™ is MediaBay, a high-performance media database with outstanding search and categorization features. If you’re looking, say, for a piano sound suitable for jazz with warm characteristics, just set these filters in the MediaBay and the right sounds will be shown there, regardless of which instruments provide them. MediaBay also allows previewing of loops in the song context including the tempo. Track Presets can also save huge amounts of time – importing, say, a vocal track loads EQ and your favorite compressor with all settings. And these are just several of the ways that SoundFrame™ can radically speed up your workflow: once it’s a part of your production process, you’ll wonder how you managed without…

MediaBay is the central Media Management system introduced with Cubase 4, and sets new standards in convenient, easy handling of instrument and plug-in presets, audio loops and clips, MIDI files, Track Presets, videos and even entire Cubase project files. MediaBay is so much more than traditional file browsers because it binds all media resources on your system directly into your creative composition and production processes.

MediaBay searches your hard drives automatically for media files and gives direct access through a clearly laid out file browser. User-definable search locations and a powerful filter section and category search functions make finding exactly the right sound easier than ever before, regardless of where the sound is located. The search results can be sorted by category, file type or any user-defined attribute. The desired sound is then simply pulled into the project using drag & drop. MediaBay even offers file organization capabilities such as cut, copy, paste, delete and rename, allowing you to manage and organize your media files directly within Cubase.

cea1e2edcf.jpg

The Scope section shows a preview of the selected file; MediaBay then allows you to instantly preview audio and MIDI files as well as Instrument presets – even in the context of the project if desired. With the Tag Editor you can give any media file either your own attributes or use the range of predefined labels. These form the basis for the powerful category search and filter functionality that quickly becomes indispensable.

Cubase 4 also offers countless predefined Track Presets and categorized Instrument Presets – stored ‘patches’ containing all track or instrument information – that reveal the depth of the MediaBay concept. As well as the main window view, adapted MediaBay views can be called up in different areas of Cubase. The Loop Browser offers one-click access to your loop library and features previewing in the song tempo, while the SoundFrame™ Browser provides direct access to presets for any VST instruments, effect plug-ins and external hardware. When creating a new Instrument Track, for example, the SoundFrame™ Browser already provides exactly the right sound when loading the instrument. VSTi's and available external MIDI instruments can even be previewed directly in the SoundFrame™ Browser without you even having to load the required instrument in the VST Rack.

be22ff3454.jpg

The Pool serves not only as a list of all audio and video clips used by a project, but also offers many processing tools for audio files shown there, including file format conversion and effect rendering. The entire Pool can also be archived and imported to another project – a boon for tzransferring projects to another Mac or PC.

16c7cd300a.jpg

anonymous dickweed said:
(see attached jpeg)
I plan to, assmunch, I've just been busy with other stuff thank you very much. I DO want to check out what this prog is capable of, you crank yanker.

Attachments

• reapercomment.JPG
    reapercomment.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 169
after reading this thread, i really want to try Reaper now!

i got my start in home recording on Acid Pro 2 and 3, and i really liked the drag-and-drop stuff, and i found the whole program very easy to learn and use. and i used good ol' Cool Edit 2000 for wave editing. i have since moved on to Cubase (LE, with my firepod) and then samplitude SE. but Reaper is next on my list for sure. i was going to eventually upgrade to Samplitude Pro, but it looks like Reaper has all the features that i really need, for the cost of what i paid for SE.

would it be worth it to just get Samplitude Master and use that for mastering/making CDs? not that i'm a mastering engineer or anything, but just for making my own stuff i'd rather do it myself just for the fun of it.....

I know it's kind of a dumb question, but would mixing in Reaper, and then 'mastering' in Samplitude make any kind of difference? it doesn't really look like Reaper has any kind of CD burning fuctionality. plus i've heard from people that samplitude just 'sounds' better than a lot of programs, although i'm not sure how.

anyway it's not that i'm afraid to spend money on a big fancy program if it's good enough, but why bother when Reaper seems to have all the big fancy program features for a whole lot less? i probably seem like a cheap ass for running the crap versions of Cubase/Samplitude, but honestly i'm not gonna drop $1000 on a program until i'm really sure that i like the way it works...i'd rather spend a couple hundred dollars and try out 3 or 4 crap versions and find one that i like than to spend $900 on one program and hate it later.

zed32 said:
after reading this thread, i really want to try Reaper now!

i got my start in home recording on Acid Pro 2 and 3, and i really liked the drag-and-drop stuff, and i found the whole program very easy to learn and use. and i used good ol' Cool Edit 2000 for wave editing. i have since moved on to Cubase (LE, with my firepod) and then samplitude SE. but Reaper is next on my list for sure. i was going to eventually upgrade to Samplitude Pro, but it looks like Reaper has all the features that i really need, for the cost of what i paid for SE.

would it be worth it to just get Samplitude Master and use that for mastering/making CDs? not that i'm a mastering engineer or anything, but just for making my own stuff i'd rather do it myself just for the fun of it.....

I know it's kind of a dumb question, but would mixing in Reaper, and then 'mastering' in Samplitude make any kind of difference? it doesn't really look like Reaper has any kind of CD burning fuctionality. plus i've heard from people that samplitude just 'sounds' better than a lot of programs, although i'm not sure how.

anyway it's not that i'm afraid to spend money on a big fancy program if it's good enough, but why bother when Reaper seems to have all the big fancy program features for a whole lot less? i probably seem like a cheap ass for running the crap versions of Cubase/Samplitude, but honestly i'm not gonna drop $1000 on a program until i'm really sure that i like the way it works...i'd rather spend a couple hundred dollars and try out 3 or 4 crap versions and find one that i like than to spend $900 on one program and hate it later.

I don't think Reaper has CD burning functionality (yet). But I always use CD Architect for burning CDs anyway.

It also doesn't have a seperate editor window (hopefully he'll put that in there soon), but it does allow you to specify an editor program to use for the files.

Other than that I can't think of any reason to not use it, or at least try it.

yeah i'll definitely give it a shot. i was just wondering if Samplitude Master would bring enough more to the table to justify spending $300 on it in addition to having Reaper.

the lack of editor window is really not an issue, since i still have my ancient copy of CE2k which does the job pretty well when needed. or i could just use my SamSE to do destructive edits. i can't wait to get home from work, watch Notre Dame vs. USC and then download Reaper!

Oh and i also used CD Architect before, and it was a pretty good program for making CDs. i wonder if Samplitude Master will accomplish this task any better? if not, then i might just buy the latest CD Architect for that purpose. i need some mo' money. :D

One thing to look at when comparing price and such that can explain a lot. A lot of firms have to have a pretty decent sized coding staff, and generally run their business like a business. Remember, Justin is one of those coders that the other coders REALLY look up to. He built a lot of the internet apps that you likely use in your daily surfing. Hes easily the brain trust of most coding firms all by himself. Christophe is also there and the two of them run it pretty casual (to the outside eye).

It is probably a lot cheaper to just have a couple coders.

Its also got to be WAY cheaper to just ask your customers what they went and then giving it to them rather than forcing crap upon them and having to start from scratch all the time

It helps that some of the biggest shit talkers from cool edit, samplitude, nuendo, vegas, acid and saw forums have moved to reaper and put their two cents in. To me, it feels like a kickass version of vegas + midi+ tempo changes + AWESOMe routing

to cool edit guys it feels like some uber cool edit, etc....

Dont throw away your favorite editor! They are available to you in reaper by right clicking an item...open a copy of your item in cool edit or sound forge or samplitude or whatever. With reaper you can always use the best tool for the job and concentrate on getting your work done, instead of tap dancing thru some lame coders' lame limitations

Dear Reaper Developer:

'm just getting started on the DAW thing, doing homework and compiling a
shopping list for Christmas. Reaper is getting a fair bit of attention, so
I went over to have a look. There is lots of interesting stuff, including speculation about Reaper being ready for the Big Leagues.

When I first heard the name Repear, I thought that it might mean Grim Reaper. I see from the logo that this is indeed what it means.

My own view is that, no matter how good Reaper is, I would not use the
product, simply because it has such a bizarre and dark name, and
logo. Death Metal software, it sounds like. Friendly, it isn't.

Now, for people who like music with death as a theme, and like that imagery
and symbolism, this would make you feel right at home, and that's
cool. However, for most people, there is something quite odd about using
death imagery to represent a product. Who wants to think about THAT every
time you use the software or talk about it or think about it? It's
depressing. It is not something which most people would think well
of. Microsoft and Corel call their prodicts Office and Wordperfect, not
Mortician and Death Certificate.

That's my opinion. Reaper attracts a certain demographc and social segment
of the market. Technically, from what I understand, it is perhaps ready to
play in the big leaugues, but its image, from a marketing perspective,
restricts its appeal to a certain niche of the youthful end of the
home-recording market. In the big leagues, the adult market, Reaper's
name isn't doing the software justice, from what I can see. However,
judging from the names of some other Cockos products, the Big Leagues
aren't the target markets - which is cool, too.

I hope you find this helpful.

Seriously
R.

PS: The guy in this forum pumping your product has a signature which makes
reference to his penis. This may not help the product image too much
either, except in certain niche markets.

Reilley, these concerns get brought up from time to time. Im kinda glad you didn see his Jesusonic CrusFX pedalboard :)

If the developer changes the name, I dont think anyone will scream too bad.

The trouble is, Political Correct is truly the stupidest of all possible religions. No mater what the name gets changed to it would offend SOMEONE

Perhaps it would offend someone dumb enough to judge a book by its cover

Perhaps it could offend on religious grounds

Perhaps its the name of an old girlfriend who gave you crabs

People get offended for all sorts of reasons. Imagine, there is an app out there that offends many because its very name implies that by using it you become a Pro and without it you cant be a Pro

You just cant win against the Church of PC

Reilley said:
Dear Reaper Developer:

'm just getting started on the DAW thing, doing homework and compiling a
shopping list for Christmas. Reaper is getting a fair bit of attention, so
I went over to have a look. There is lots of interesting stuff, including speculation about Reaper being ready for the Big Leagues.

When I first heard the name Repear, I thought that it might mean Grim Reaper. I see from the logo that this is indeed what it means.

My own view is that, no matter how good Reaper is, I would not use the
product, simply because it has such a bizarre and dark name, and
logo. Death Metal software, it sounds like. Friendly, it isn't.

Now, for people who like music with death as a theme, and like that imagery
and symbolism, this would make you feel right at home, and that's
cool. However, for most people, there is something quite odd about using
death imagery to represent a product. Who wants to think about THAT every
time you use the software or talk about it or think about it? It's
depressing. It is not something which most people would think well
of. Microsoft and Corel call their prodicts Office and Wordperfect, not
Mortician and Death Certificate.

That's my opinion. Reaper attracts a certain demographc and social segment
of the market. Technically, from what I understand, it is perhaps ready to
play in the big leaugues, but its image, from a marketing perspective,
restricts its appeal to a certain niche of the youthful end of the
home-recording market. In the big leagues, the adult market, Reaper's
name isn't doing the software justice, from what I can see. However,
judging from the names of some other Cockos products, the Big Leagues
aren't the target markets - which is cool, too.

I hope you find this helpful.

Seriously
R.

PS: The guy in this forum pumping your product has a signature which makes
reference to his penis. This may not help the product image too much
either, except in certain niche markets.

Is this guy serious? :eek:

that is a reference to your penis? i had no idea!!!!! now i'm gonna have to let this reaper thing go....i really liked it but now? i feel sick to my stomach! penis' everywhere!!!!! aHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Back