raising gain all the way just to reach -18dbfs?

Mix, I use the firepod with ksm27 also and find for vocals I'm at half to 3 quarters of the knob range for -18dbfs. I don't experience objectionable noise at this setting.

I should qualify the above statement by saying that I sometimes exploit the proximity effect of the mic by getting up on it in which case I back it off quite a bit (can't say exactly how much).

thanks quick. man i'm pissed by whats happening. i dont know whats wrong. u think it could be the firepod? i have 2 xlr cords and its the same for both and ive tried all inputs. :mad: . this firepod was the last one left at guitar center. i hope they didnt sell me a bad one. i bought it like three months ago but i only use it a couple of times cause i was out of town but it did the same thing when i tried it right when i got back. i dont have warranty or nothing on it either. any suggestions? or can it be the mic?

I have a firepod, and it works flawlessly. You must be doing something wrong, have a bad mic, or maybe a bad firepod. I just need to crack my pre's and they work great for any mic. I never need to turn them past "10 o'clock".

i jus tried a dynamic mic and i plugged it in the back input and it does the same thing. i cant even get the volume up even if i turn the gain all the way up. it picks up very little :mad: what should i do cause i dont have any warranty

nevermind i see what u mean. i connected my dynamic mic into the xlr and it does the same thing. i have to turn the input gain almost all the way up jus to reach -18dbfs

A dynamic plugged into the front WILL require a lot of gain. You will be 3quarters to full range.
How much distance are you maintaining from the mic (ksm27)? If you're within inches then this 10 o'clock figure is probably right but if you're closer to a foot or more you'll probably be more like 12 or 2 o'clock. Distance has a pretty quick effect on this combination.

Wrong guy, I'm not claiming to use it at 10 o'clock and at 7 inches away It wouldn't surprise me to be at 2 or 3 o'clock. I think at 10 o'clock you'd have to be right on it.

thanks for the help quick. i actually tried that jus to test it. i put it half way like 12oclock and got right in front of the mic real close and it till doesnt even reach up to -18dbfs

Just as I remember, my gain runs between half and 3/4 of the range depending on distance and obviously how loud you are singing. I have never had reason to believe my unit is defective but I've always pushed the gain higher than others here claim. I sing quieter than some and do largely acoustic based music. A rock screamer may have different experience. However, 2 or 3 o'clock is not unusual for me. My pc is in a closet so I can isolate it while recording and my hvac is very quiet also so room noise isn't an issue even at elevated settings. I think 2 or 3 o'clock ia not unusual.

i have to raise it to like almost 4 o clock just to reach -18dbfs and im singing loud enough. if i put to 12 oclock and screem its still doesnt get to -18dbfs but the peak meter is high

Back