raising gain all the way just to reach -18dbfs?

yea i was curious about that but im not even low at all im pretty loud but still getting a small signal with loud noise

mixaholic said:
yea i can turn it loud enough to clip but when its at that point its picking up alotta background noise even the slightest movement
Jees! I stayed out when it looked like you had a Firepod problem. Now your back to square one (or what I though you said in the first place -'Picking up every bit of movement'! :rolleyes: :) So you are able to get plenty of level(?)

Please, did you understand what we were saying in the earlier posts about room' vs the instrument/voice volume?
Wayne

mixaholic said:
yea i was curious about that but im not even low at all im pretty loud but still getting a small signal with loud noise
Let's talk about that noise. Hiss, hum, or noise in the room?

mixaholic said:
yea i can turn it loud enough to clip but when its at that point its picking up alotta background noise even the slightest movement

Of course you're hearing a lot of noise at this point, The gain is WAY too high.
Monitoring with just the peak meter on dbfs you should adjust the gain to average -18 which should give you peaks of -8 to -12. This is all the gain you need.

I don't know Sound Forge but I assume you have the ability to monitor your levels prior to recording. Also make sure your software mixer is set for unity gain on both the channel and the main. I'll bow out now and let someone with SF chime in.

thanks man. yea i have everything set up correctly on sf. my recordings come out real small and thin when i record in acid. the waves look small

mixaholic said:
thanks man. yea i have everything set up correctly on sf. my recordings come out real small and thin when i record in acid. the waves look small
There is a way to make those wavs look bigger. It's a third zoom function.

Software VU meters are useless for what you are using them for, just use the normal meter in soundforge and get that meter to peak around -8dbfs and you will be fine. If it is too loud in the monitors (or headphones) turn the monitor volume down.

This is going to sound like a really dumb suggestion, but have you flipped the mic around 180 degrees to the other direction? The symptoms you are describing also sound like the mic could be facing the wrong way, or that you are using an omni (all the room noise at high gain). I know that the KSM-27 is not an omni, so you might try singing into the wrong side. Practically everyone does this at some point or another, myself included.

SonicAlbert said:
This is going to sound like a really dumb suggestion...wrong side. ...Practically everyone does this at some point or another, myself included.
LOL Sure enough that. (See post 6. :)

Back