Quick Question on my setup

illest1029

I am a producer who has been making beats for years. Now im starting to get into recording. My question is it bad for me to have my mic plugged directly into my computer? Or should i go out and buy something? One more thing, whats a mic preamp?,will that help? Thx in advance

The only mic that i know of that would work for you right now would be the samson co1. It plugs in through usb. If you would like a better quality mic tho, you need mixer/standalone preamp and a soundcard made for recording. A preamp amplifies the sound from the microphone. Without the preamp, there is no sound. You also need phantom power for condensers.

no. It is not bad for you to have a mic plugged directly into the computer. There is a mike socket, and a dynamic mike will slip into just fine.

You may not like the results, because the standard soundcard is not designed for quality recording. If you couple this with a 'standard' mike, you may be even less impressed.

However, it may be enough for you to make a start.

If you are not satisfied, then you need to look at:
1 reasonable sound card
2 reasonable mike pre-amp (to deliver a good quality signal to the sound card) and
3 reasonable mike. Dynamics (e.g. Shure SM58) will work fine, give ok quality. Condensors (requiring phantom power) is the next step up.

Back