question about mixers

needmyownstudio

cool edit is essentiall a mixing program correct? i am decently proficient in cool edit. i would like to build like a prosumer studio. do you recomend i go out and buy a mixing board or will cool edit suit my needs?

by the way i am looking to do strictly hip hop music.

No...cool edit is more than just a mixer....
It is a tracking software as well and is capable of importing MIDI files to the sessions for mix-down with .WAV files....
Do you want to be able to adjust your input before tracking in Cool Edit?
Do you have a pre-amp already?
What is you signal chain for vocals and what type of MICs do you use?
What kind of soundcard do you use?
Are you tracking instruments or are you creating MIDI beats and synth looped instruments for your hip-hop....er.....ummm.....music?

yeah i knew cool edit was capable of so much more than just mixing. im just debating whether i actually need to go pick up a mixing board to be used with/instead of cool edits. but in answer to your questions:

1. Do you want to be able to adjust your input before tracking in Cool Edit? i hadnt originally planned to no. admittedly i have never experimented in this. is it more beneficial to adjust the inputs before tracking or after, or does it not matter?

2. Do you have a pre-amp already? NO. however i am within the next month going to purchase the mbox. i was told this serves as a suitable pre amp (to be used in conjunction with a nice mic) and i will get a new sound card as well. i asked around and got positive feedback about the soundcard and the pre amp (from various friends, not proffesionals). but if you have any feedback to add as far as the mboxs' pre amp and/or its soundcard please let me know before i spend my money.

3. What is you signal chain for vocals and what type of MICs do you use? the signal chain goes mic to pre amp to soundcard. (so after getting my mbox it will be mic to mbox pre amp, which will essentially connect it immediatly to the mboxs' soundcard correct?). as far as mics i am working with a sony something or other. i hate it. i will be purchasing a new mic along with the soundcard. i am still in the process of researching this. i have done research as well as asked around to my friends and made posts on this site. but if you have any recommendations as far as mics are concerned then once again please feel free to send them my way.

4. What kind of soundcard do you use? right now an sb audigy. soon to be mbox

5. Are you tracking instruments or are you creating MIDI beats and synth looped instruments for your hip-hop....er.....ummm.....music? i am creating the beats using samples and loops. i will not be tracking any live instruments

thanks a lot for your reply. hopefully you might have some more recommendations and/or feedback for me as far as the mbox and mic is concerned

needmyownstudio said:

thanks a lot for your reply. hopefully you might have some more recommendations and/or feedback for me as far as the mbox and mic is concerned

You are welcome....

The M-Box is cool....you will not need cool edit....
it comes with Pro-Tools LE.....
Learn Pro-tools....it will handle all of your needs in conjunction with the M-Box....

For a mic...it all depends on the vocal but, I would reccomend starting with an SM58...
or one of the new Octavas.....or a B-1....they are cheap and will give you a reference to start from with the vocals...

Good luck man,
Joe

I use CEP but I own an external mixer. I can't do nothing without my external mixer. If you want to record, for example, two external synth layered sounds in one step, you need an external mixer.

MaxB said:
I use CEP but I own an external mixer. I can't do nothing without my external mixer. If you want to record, for example, two external synth layered sounds in one step, you need an external mixer.

That is not true.....

If you have a multiple in's Soundcard....you do not need a mixer...
as a matter of fact....some soundcards have more I/Os than a mixer....and built in pre-amps with Phantom Power....

it all depends on your set-up....

joro said:
That is not true.....

If you have a multiple in's Soundcard....you do not need a mixer...
as a matter of fact....some soundcards have more I/Os than a mixer....and built in pre-amps with Phantom Power....

it all depends on your set-up....

:) :) :) :) :)

I can't figure an Home Studio without a mixer.

MaxB said:
:) :) :) :) :)

I can't figure any Home Studio without a mixer.

I agree with you man.... I have a Mackie 1402 VLZ-Pro...
and I use it in my chain.....but you don't really need it if you have the right soundcard....ya know?

Joe

joro said:
I agree with you man.... I have a Mackie 1402 VLZ-Pro...
and I use it in my chain.....but you don't really need it if you have the right soundcard....ya know?
Joe

Duh? Sorry Joro... I can't understand.
Your statement is that if you own a "good" sound card you can avoid to use an external mixer??

Yes, it's possible, but it's not comfortable to work without a real mixer. What is the sound card you are talking about?

I use the sound card as a recorder and not as a mixer.

I don't like at all the idea to plug my synths, mics directly into my sound card. Then it will be not very cables-friendly.

And if you want to play a synth just for fun you have to turn your computer on... No no i don't like it. :(

Max B

Motus are designed to stack one on top of another and connect at a central hub and work together......
They are rack mountable...

you can stack 4 together I beleive...8 I/Os each.....

That's just one example...
there are others....

so.....duh....you have to turn something on.....computer or mixer....what difference does it make?

joro said:
so.....duh....you have to turn something on.....computer or mixer....what difference does it make?

Startup time? :)
Windows crashes? :)

No, I do prefer to have a real mixer in front of me, with real sliders and real knobs. It's a nightmare to deal with these soft mixers, tweak the invisible knobs with the mouse... I try to avoid this as much as possible.

MaxB

MaxB said:
Startup time? :)
Windows crashes? :)

No, I do prefer to have a real mixer in front of me, with real sliders and real knobs. It's a nightmare to deal with these soft mixers, tweak the invisible knobs with the mouse... I try to avoid this as much as possible.

MaxB

My start up time is about one minute....

I have never crashed in CEP.....

to each his own I suppose concerning digital versus hands on...they do work the same...the only difference being is that the computer will remember exactly where everything was set for any particular track....and if your monitor is large enough...the knobs are not small...

Take it easy man,
Joe

joro said:
My start up time is about one minute....

I have never crashed in CEP.....

to each his own I suppose concerning digital versus hands on...they do work the same...the only difference being is that the computer will remember exactly where everything was set for any particular track....and if your monitor is large enough...the knobs are not small...

Take it easy man,
Joe

Hi Joro!

I've heard your songs on sondclick.com...

Congratulations! I really like them!!

If this is the result just keep on working your way.

The fact it's always the same: if you feel comfortable with your method then you are right.

I really like the guitar sound on "Chasing Sunsets"!!

Just keep the good work!

Max B.

Hi Max,
I wish I could take the credit for the awesome guitar on Chasing Sunsets....but,....I can't....

My friend and co-writer Willie McCulloch records on a Roland machine.....I am merely the lyricist on the tune....that's the way he and I work always....he plays all the instruments and sings....
I come up with the stories....
My friend Willie is a true talent.....one of the unappreciated ones...
I am a newbie at this stuff so even though the kudos are appreciated ......I don't deserve them....Willie does...
Just keeping the record straight...ya know?

Sometimes others help...
DavidK and his gal pal played violin and cello on Right or Wrong...
Joey Drago added bass and drums to a few of them...
skids and DTB are there too....
all of the tunes are online colabs of one kind or the other...
I don't play on everything there...
I do appreciate your comments though man, and I thank you...
for all of us...
Take it easy,
Joe

Last edited:
Back