Question about M-audio Fast Track Pro

Maddox

Hi.

I read some reviews saying that the built-in preamps are really weak, and that it’s not unusual to need to turn the gain on the Fast Track Pro up to 90%.

Like this review, where the guy said he could not record at low levels, like speeches and stuff, and conclude that:
"Either that pre-amp is noisy, the analog-to-digital converter (ADC) is noisy, or both are noisy, and they're trying to cover for it with a noise gate that is, frankly, not a very subtle way to try and hide the problem."
source: http://breakpoint.livejournal.com/56793.html

This review, however, is from 2006. I don´t know if M-Audio did something about it.

I often record at speech level too. Right now I´m using Delta 1010LT, and, despite some minor issues, it works quite well.

But I´m buying a new computer, and was wandering about the Fast Track Pro.

What do you guys think ? Is it true about the preamps ? And is a preamp necessary in order to record low volume level stuff with Fast Track Pro ?

The preamps are quite weak. 55dB if I remember correctly but that's more than enough for condenser mics.
Most of the Audio Interfaces, regardless of cost, only put out between 40 & 60dB per channel.
If you're using ribbons, you will need an additional preamp.
Regular dynamic mics should be fine but you will be close to maxing out.
Keep in mind too that the M-Audio Fast Track Pro is good starting gear and for that reason, unless the user has been at it for a couple of years, the review may not be all that accurate.
B&H has an excellent deal on them right now, by the way.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAg#

Edit: I just had a look at that review. Goes back to what I said before. I wouldn't agree with most of what that individual had to say.

The preamps are weak. Get a dedicated preamp. I have an m-audio DMP3 and a Studio Projects VTB1, each of which are ok for that job.

More of a headache to me is that the headphone jack on the Fast Track Pro is woefully inadequate. Not only do I need a separate preamp but I also have a small headphone amp as well.

If I had to do it over again I'd go with something else (Edirol/Cakewalk? Presonus?)...

Are you perchance, a drummer?

No, I use Addictive Drums. I play guitar (and sing), and I'm playing with a Sansamp GT2, no amp. I'm not a turn-it-up-to-11 volume nut, I record alternative power pop style music. The Fast Track Pro's headphone output is not loud enough for almost any application I use it for. It's impossible to do overdubs with it. My crappy little mp3 player gives louder headphone output. (It's not just my unit either - it's a complaint I've read in other reviews.)

The important thing is that it works with my Win 7 Toshiba laptop. That's the hard part - getting an interface that's compatible with your computer hardware and doesn't give you terrible latency issues.

Back