BEST ULTIMATE budget DAW? M-Audio M-Track Solo VS Avid Fast Track Solo

fullstacklogan

How does the M-Audio M-Track Solo compare to Avid Fast Track Solo? Which one would you say is a better device? They both got great software bundles that come with them but I don't care about that. I wanna know purely about a hardware to hardware comparison. What's the better device?

FYI, 'DAW' stands for Digital Audio Workstation' and usually refers to the software, not the audio interface, which is what you are asking for. Both the Avid and M-Track are the same thing, older models. Are you looking at buying a used one?

FYI, 'DAW' stands for Digital Audio Workstation' and usually refers to the software, not the audio interface, which is what you are asking for. Both the Avid and M-Track are the same thing, older models. Are you looking at buying a used one?
Oh my bad.Im such a recording newb. So what's the proper term for it? USB audio interface? And yes. I'm looking to buy The Avid one used from OfferUp and the m Audio M Track new from Amazon. They're both the same price. The Avid typically goes for more and I'm thinking it's because there's something about it it that's better, but I don't know what. If there is no difference between the two devices then I'd rather buy the new device off Amazon vs the used device from OfferUp. The used Avid device is actually $10 more.So it's got me thinking this HAS to be a better product to still be priced higher being a used product over a brand new one.
Maybe the M Audio device is just a reallllly good deal being offered, or maybe the difference is the actual quality of the hardware itself.Im thinking the M Audio product is probably a lot more cheaply made and more easily breakable vs the Avid device that has a more sturdy quality construction and that's the reason for the price difference. But I dunno

Last edited:
Oh my bad.Im such a recording newb. So what's the proper term for it? USB audio interface? And yes. I'm looking to buy The Avid one used from OfferUp and the m Audio M Track new from Amazon. They're both the same price. The Avid typically goes for more and I'm thinking it's because there's something about it it that's better, but I don't know what. If there is no difference between the two devices then I'd rather buy the new device off Amazon vs the used device from OfferUp. The used Avid device is actually $10 more.So it's got me thinking this HAS to be a better product to still be priced higher being a used product over a brand new one.
Maybe the M Audio device is just a reallllly good deal being offered, or maybe the difference is the actual quality of the hardware itself.Im thinking the M Audio product is probably a lot more cheaply made and more easily breakable vs the Avid device that has a more sturdy quality construction and that's the reason for the price difference. But I dunno

Neither is a 'good' device interface - a Focusrite Scarlett Solo is a better choise.

Oh my bad.Im such a recording newb. So what's the proper term for it? USB audio interface? And yes. I'm looking to buy The Avid one used from OfferUp and the m Audio M Track new from Amazon. They're both the same price.

Neither is a 'good' device interface - a Focusrite Scarlett Solo is a better choise.
That's not super helpful, besides the Scarlett is double the price of these. Way outta my budget

Both units are limited to 48K/16bit operation due to the A/D chip used. I wouldn't consider the AVID since its a old unit which may not be getting future driver support. The last drivers were issued in 2013. M-Audio still lists the unit on their website, so you would expect them to support the unit if they are still selling it.

I doubt that you would be able to tell the difference between them in terms of audio performance.

Both units are limited to 48K/16bit operation due to the A/D chip used. I wouldn't consider the AVID since its a old unit which may not be getting future driver support. The last drivers were issued in 2013. M-Audio still lists the unit on their website, so you would expect them to support the unit if they are still selling it.

I doubt that you would be able to tell the difference between them in terms of audio performance.
Thanks for your insightful response. That really helps.

Back