"progressive" punk

ragata

Hi!

I'm in the process of recording a new 7" for one of my bands, and would really like some comments on one of the songs.
The bass will be tracked in the beginning of next week as we were on a very tight scheduale (we recorded 12 songs in one day), but I was too excited not to start mixing right away :)

The sound is very raw - in my mind fidelity and punkrock don't get on too well ;) I wanted it to sound like back in the day, kind of.
I suppose that there may be some work left to be done on the drums at the very least.

link

cheers!

yea a bit more snare/toms would be nice. the guitar sounds dirty but maybe a smidge more distortion when recording would have been nice. the acoustic guitar in the one part of the song kind of ruins the whole classic punk vibe

I agree with you about the guitars. I seem to be overly careful with the distortion when recording, as I've had bad experiances with too much (what with ruined tone, bad presence, etc). I mean, once it's there it's kind of hard to get rid of ;)
The acoustic will be lowered a tad in the final mix. I really like it there, but it should be supporting the electrics, nothing more.

Thanks for the listen!

not bad for a start.

Wheres the bass? I'm not hearing any bass at all, but my ears are also very shot from being a drummer (with out ear protection of any kind... hehe). Are you going for that really hardcore feel or more punkish? If you want hardcore, than the guitars are perfect with out any work. If you want a cleaner punk type of sound, you really need some low on the guitar, or in this recording in general. Snare should be up a little especially in this type of song. The gang vocals (if those are more than one person) need to blend a bit more, but sounds really good. You can leave them how they are for that super punchy sound. The acoustic is odd, but that doesn't mean bad. Again it depends what you are going for. The hardcore style would really call for the acoustic just to give it that dirty strum kind of track. Punk not so much, but hey! be original.

he he, kom inte hit och snacka punk med mig, punkjävvlarrr :D

sounds pretty promising for an early mix, classic length too: 50 secs ;)
DLK my ass!, the acoustic guitar, hmmm.... nah. Unnecessary! I hope there'll a (short) whacky guitar solo in there though.

emergencyexit:
Cheers, thanks for the ellaborate feedback!
Punk or hardcore, hardcore or punk... howabout hardcorepunk? :)
I will probably add some more lowend to the guitars, they're actually cut a couple of db at about 200hz, and hipassed at 100hz. But there'll be a bassguitar under all that too.
The gang vocals are three people screaming into an adk a51 by the way.

madmush:
heh :) Kul, det är inte många svenskar här annars.
DLK, yeah I guess. We're all really into older swedish punk, early Ksmb, Missbrukarna and so on.
There actually IS a solo hidden under the much too loud acoustic - I'll be sure to turn it up!

Thanks for listening!

giraffe:
Thanks! Yes, I know - there'll be a bassguitar in there too later on!

uhh its charlie:
cheers, glad you liked it :)

emergencyexit:
cool! Thanks a bunch. I'M the drummer, by the way ;)

Really appretiated everyone's comments on this!

Back