Problems with clicking popping and Laptops

Kjv1993

Busking a Subway Near You
Hello, I just solved a problem that has been bugging me for awhile, and felt compelled to share the solution. I have been having problems with my Dell Laptop, and Reaper. Im sure this is common though, even with other DAW's and types of laptops.

I went to this reaper forum, which was suppose to help solve my problem:
Using dpclat and RATT to diagnose audio performance problems - Cockos Confederated Forums

I had 2 issues. First off, I kept getting clicks and pops in my recordings, and it wasn't from clipping. And second was latency. I did a bunch of research and tried to adjust my settings to what solved other people's problems. It helped a little, but not completely. I ran DSP Latency checker and found I had some serous driver issues (lots of red lines). I tried to locate which drivers were causing problems with RATTv3 but it wouldn't run on my computer for some reason. So I went into my device manager and disabled every driver that wasn't necessary to record. I found out disabling both my wired and wireless internet worked, but DSP was still showing red lines.

So after doing more research, I found out that other hardware could cause problems, and obviously disabling their drivers didn't help. So I went into my BIOS and found out I had a PC card, bluetooth, and 2 different wireless options all turned on. So I disabled them in the BIOS so that the OS didn't even recognize them anymore.

The result: All green lines, which means no more problem drivers! This may be an automatic thing some of you check, but for noobs like me, BIOS options aren't really something to go messing around with.
So if you are having some issues, or just want to increase your laptop's performance, this is something to look into.

Try changing the IRQ used by that hardware and see if it is possible to avoid having to disable it completely.

Back