problem with my BX5 monitors

bryank

im experienceing a strange problem with my m-audio BX5 active monitors. it seems there is a weird crackle and hum coming from the woofer (its only doing this to one monitor, the other is fine.) At first i thought it was 60 cycle hum, but then i disconnected my monitor from my DAW, and brought it into another room, and simply pluged in the power only and powered it up..........and it still makes the noise. Maybe the internal amplifier is going bad/fried?

i also noticed that the woofer is moving (sucking in and out) when the noises are happening......and there is no audio going through it, it does this when its pluged in and powered up only, with no other connections other than the power cord.

what is it? is it fixable? or is it trash now?

is the problem constant or intermitent? if it is constant then it sound like your amp on the low driver is passing dc to your speaker. In that case it would probably be the output transformer, and could possibly be fixed given if the cost of the repair is worth it to you.

yes, im using unbalanced 1/4 cables. funny thing is......when i got home last night...........they were doing it right as i powerd them up, but after 10 minutes of it sitting with the power on....it went away. Ive noticed it being intermitant every now and then it happens.

if it had to do with the cables.,......wouldnt the other speaker be doing the same thing? this is only happening to one of the 2 speakers....the other is fine.

Get a BALANCED cable then...i had an unbalanced cable before and my monitors always generated high frequency noise and hum. now i used balanced cables, and it's super quiet.

yeah, but i dont think its cable realated though...........

i took the troublesome monitor to another room of the house, and pluged in the power cord into the wall socket, and didnt plug in any audio cables into it. i just powerd it up with no audio cables running into it just to see if the noise is audio realated..........................and the noise was still there. No cables pluged into it, just the power cord and thats it!

the noise isnt like its a hiss/ or a hum. Its more like a "rumble" with faint crackles and pops. the woofer is moving in and out while these noises are happening.

and it happens sometimes....and sometimes its fine/normal.

i think this monitor is POSSESED!!!!! :eek:

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I seem to remember some threads from quite a ways back that mentioned something about a known defect in the BX5 that had something to do with a bad resistor in the crossover or something like that. This was supposedly a known and common problem which was just as easy to fix and therefore not considered a real biggie.

I might be getting the model number completly wrong here, it might not be the BX5s. But perhaps a search on "BX5" "monitor defect" or other similar keyword combos might turn something up.

I'd do it, but I don't want to be accused of spoon-feeding an encyclopedia of information to people like I have been accused of recently. :)

G.

Back