Problem with my bass

Cornwall

I have a 5-stringed Oscar Schmidt Washburn bass. The E-String Rattles like crazy, but only at the First Fret (or at least, if I hold down the 1st Fret the rattling stops). I've tried raising the string (I raised it higher then the B string) and it seems to have gotten a little bit worse... I'm not really sure where to turn to after this. I could bring it into the shop, but I'd rather learn to fix problems like this myself. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks!

....I somehow made the rattling worse by not touching it. before the rattling was mostly harmless, but now I can't play open E without it picking up through the amp. the only problem is with Open E :\

It could just be the truss rod needs to be adjusted.

If you ask me what I truss rod is, I'm not going to tell you. Take it to a professional.

I'm going to say it's the nut. If it were the truss rod, you'd get the rattling on more than just the one string. I'm also going to say it's the nut because it was worsened when the break angle was reduced (string was raised, I'm assuming at the saddle), causing less of a downward tension on the nut, making the string sit a little looser in the slot.
I hope that made sense. I'm tired, and rereading it, it didn't make much sense to me, but I still get what I'm trying to say. Either way, while nut and/or truss rod adjustments are good to learn, I agree wholey with ez_willis that you should take it to an expert.

hmmm... my friend told me it might be the nut... I was hoping it wasn't... I don't think its the Truss rod, the neck looks straight enough... Thank you. I guess I'll just bring it into the shop.

My guess would be the nut too. I had this problem with my guitar. It was the nut. The A string was notched out from using a really heavy guage when I was going through a stage. Anyhow, you can check out this website if you want to tinker with it without going to a shop, but if you haven't done this before, DON'T do anything you might not be able to recover from!

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm

Jeez. Just take a piece of matchbook cover and ram it in the nut under the string. if that's the problem, fill it in a bit with some crazy glue, and use an old string like a saw and make it the right shape. Problem solved, for awhile, anyway.

To elimate the truss rod, well almost, tune the string a tone sharp. If the truss rod is vibrating at that frequency it will stop. Unlikely though. More likely the nut. Either the break angle is wrong, try pushing down on the string behind the nut, that should give you an idea. if the slot is too wide pack it out with some card like suggested. The best fix for that is a new nut. Bone dust and superglue can fix you up for a while as suggested.

Other possible causes to investigate. The first, second or third fret is too high. This thread has some tips for checking setup around the nut HERE

There could also be the possibility of something loose that is rattling at that frequency, common items would be the machineheads, truss rod (already mentioned) or the bridge saddles. The only way to find them is to make it buzz and apply finger pressure whever to find it. Keep in mind that even something hidden in the cavity can cause a frequency dependant buzz on extreme occasions

I suspect the nut slot. Nine times from ten that would be the cause. Once you've found the culprit we can discuss a fix.

thewanderer24 said:
This was my first thought. The only way to really fix that is get a new nut or raise up the existing one.
It is possible to shim under the nut on occasion to raise the hight. Not ideal but nealy invisible and can be left permanent. The first thing to check is is the slot too low. If it is then yes shimming will fix it but you will need to deepen the other slots as well.

boingoman said:
Jeez. Just take a piece of matchbook cover and ram it in the nut under the string. if that's the problem, fill it in a bit with some crazy glue, and use an old string like a saw and make it the right shape. Problem solved, for awhile, anyway.

Thank you very much!! That saves me the problem of trying to find a ride to the music store! I appreciate your advice very much. ^^

It could also be the 1st fret!

it could be coming up out of the fingerboard...i've had that happen, and it rattled on an open string.

Also, if your guitar has individual saddle height adjusters, could be you need to raise that string.

Seriously doubt it's your truss...that would usually affect more than 1 string.

boingoman said:

That is, at best, a very temporary solution.

Shim it or make a new nut, though most of time I'm gonna go with shimming it, unless the nut is either very cheap material or is in bad shape (or was badly made in the first place). The shim material is the smae as the neck (or at least, it should be), I've got no worries about the material, and it's much cheaper than a new nut.

Oh, and that very much sounds like a nut slot which is too low.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

saint_berzerker said:
It could also be the 1st fret!

it could be coming up out of the fingerboard...i've had that happen, and it rattled on an open string.

Wouldn't that usually buzz against either the top or bottom string? Usually on a 5-string bass, the E string would be the next one up. Unless, of course, the owner restrung it from E up, in which case a lot of things probably need to be changed---the truss rod, the nut, etc---because there's a big difference in string tension and diameter there. That said, it doesn't sound like this is the case judging from the comment about raising it above the B string.

My guess is also the nut.

Well, just so that anyone that wants to know, the problem turned out to be indeed the nut. My guess is it was because of this one guy who'd play my bass all the time, and man-handle the strings like crazy (didn't realize he did that till around the time I moved). Thanks for your help everyone! :)

Back