Pro Tools for everyone

The main difference between Logic and Pro tools is that the PT comes with hardware and Logic does not.
You can buy Logics Audiowerk8-2 card but it's not up to par for a pro user.
Hence the price difference.

I also find that most studios use PT and hardly find a Paris set up.
This may change one day but is not the case as of today.
I can tell you all that this is a international phenomen, having worked
and visiting studios in Israel-Italy-France-spain-U.S.-Canda.
The only 2 studios I know that brought paris told me it was due to a budget issue.

Better or not as to Logiv versus PT is not an issue. Each should work on what he feels most comfertable.
I personaly have used Logic from the first days of audio+Midi and moved to PT.
I am much happier.
As to the bitching on the oficial sites...This is a typical thing you seen on every site.
When I used Logic the people on the mailing list wouldn't stop complaning
about the user interface as well as bad tec suporrt as well as the threats "that this is the last time I'm buying Logic".

I move to PT and see the same threats on the site and a friend tells me he sees the same on the Cubase site.

I personaly am not impressed that so and so, uses so and so....

I am curious to how Shakes can proove his claim that Paris sounds better then a PT system. Have you checked them side by side in the same conditions?

"I am curious to how Shakes can proove his claim that Paris sounds better then a PT system. Have you checked them side by side in the same conditions?"

More than once, yes.

As far as most studios having PT, well of course they will, how long has PT been out? and how long has PARIS been on the market. I wouldn't expect all studios to drop thier PT systems and go buy PARIS overnight. Thats like arguing ADATS back years ago against analog. When they first came out they were not common and got bashed by tons of people, but over time they became the standard and they were in tons of studios but it didn't happen overnight. Digidesign is losing market share in this department, if you look at the stock of the holding company the drop should tell you something is going downhill for Digidesign. PARIS is not the budget little brother to PT, have you seen GBT studio? It is the biggest DAW on the face of the earth with no corners cut. They use O1V's for personal headphone mixes for every musician. They could have bought protools but they knew what functioned and sounded better.
Well it is way past my bedtime and I am falling asleep here, those are the facts not opinions about PARIS and PT.
night ;-)

Shakes,
P.S. Want a stock tip? Buy RAZF tuesday ;-)

Have you hugged your JoeMeek today?

I don't have the energy to discuss PT over Paris better or not. You think it does I don't... I've had enough of that for a while... Let it just be said that NOBODY has sold
more CD's becuase he used this or that software.
We all use the best gear we can get our hands on for ourselfs and a few nuts like us. I give you my word... Nobody else gives a shit definitly Shmo Joe who buys the CD. I can just see it now. People buying CD's and saying
"OHHH.... done on Pro Tools" I have to have this CD.
Sometimes when I'm in the studio and spending mega $$ on renting this preamp and punch ins and arguing over the mix with the people...on subtle matters ( I once spent 3 hours arguing with a singer on how loud he should be in the mix and we smoked away the budget for the string section ).
only to walk into a friends (non musician) house to give him the CD as a present and to take one look at his stereo
and speaker placment to grab my hair ( whats left ) and curse under my breath. I was so surprised when he said
"Wow you used that Amek board with the Avalon compressor going through the Apogee converters, right?" Yeah right !!
All he said was "why is the singer's photo on the cover so small". I was going to hit him.

I'm using this tube EQ I rented for a lot of money only to have people use MP3's to hear it. Every body is so excited about MP3's encluding musicians "A new way to market my music !!!". He uses Pro Tools... but is excited that it will be heard on MP3's. Better the money go to the poor.

I do it for myself, my client, and 3 other engineers that will hear it and say coooool... but proportions is very needed in the audio industry.

I can only hope paris will eat away at Digidesign so the PT
will feel some competion and so lower their prices.

I don't recommend people to buy PT unless they have a commercial studio. To spend so much money for a home set up is not logical.

Back to the original thread... A free protools will allow users who don't own it, the possibilty to save it in the PT format and then to come to a studio and dump at least 8 tracks of audio straight to the TDM system, and in a blink they can start to work away.
Not to mention using some of the wonderful features PT has to offer.

[Edited by Shailat on 10-10-2000 at 03:34]

n-Track and Cakewalk are the working man's PT.

It said 1 day yesterday, so I woke up early today to be the first to download before the congestion - but it still says 1 day.

I hope that those digidudes will allow us to record in 24 bits cos it will be a bummer if it is limited to 16bit like version 3.4 free was. I am also hoping that they will allow me to use my directx plugins

It's fuckin Marketing, guerilla tactics advertising. 3 days, 1 day, a few days?! They want you to look around there site in hopes you'll buy somethin.

ITS here

as soon as I went to the digidesign site and had to wait oneminute for the homepage to load up, I knew something fishy was going on: like ten thousand people downloading pro tools FREE at the same time.

I was correct. It is finally here. ALl forty megabytes of it, so go ahead and give it a try.

I am going to order the cd. No way I am downloading 40 megs of data at one time.

peace

Yeah, that limit on 2 tracks at a time hurts me more than the 8 total, but it is free. It does come with some plugins and effects though, which if they are good might be worth the free download just for those. I downloaded all of it at 4am this morning, took about 5 minutes... lol.

Anyway, will be interesting to check it out later today and see what it really can do.

<40 meg

The actual installer program is much less than 40 MB. The mac version was 9MB and the documentation was another 9MB, OMS 2.3 is also needed which waas less than 3 MB. I think the actual wording stated that it may be up to 40MB. That is if you download the demo sessions, and other stuff that they are offering.
j.

jamiecer has got it right

The only thing you need to download for the Windows version is 9.7MB as well. The other two files are documentation, and the sound check demo. Just a suggestion: something like GoZilla can schedule the download at 3am if you are having a problem. I use it when I'm not going to be up at that hour and need to download a large file on a busy site. Apps like that can also resume later on if the transfer dies for some reason.

GetRight is great for scheduling and resuming downloads, too. http://www.getright.com

I managed to get in and grab PTFree last night. While trying to run it on my little studio system I couldn't redirect the output to the wav driver outputs of my MOTU 1224 so I couldn't hear anything, then it just froze in the middle of a session and I couldn't get it to even run after that. I guess they don't have much experience supporting hardware other than their own and their close partners (mostly on Mac, too).

Back