Pro Tools and .wav files ?

He sounds like so many - pompous and protective. Could you not communicate with the guy mixing it? Cut him out of the loop? If he's not mixing, what's he doing?

He sounds like so many - pompous and protective. Could you not communicate with the guy mixing it? Cut him out of the loop? If he's not mixing, what's he doing?
He's putting some of his old original material into an album. He's the lead vocal, rhythm guitar, bass, backup vocals by family member. He's supplied a version of Pro Tools to one of our old guitarists so he can supply his lead guitar parts and possibly some backup rhythm. He's doing all that in his home studio then sending that on to his mixer who also supplies his live drum tracks. He mixes and sends it all to another for Mastering. Any parts I might contribute would be added to the session while still being compiled in his home studio, prior to the mixing stage.

I was told this mixer was actually a drummer from a known band in the L.A. area and he does mixing on the side. I'm not privy to his or the band's name.

Gotcha - I don't use protools, but in Cubase, adding in extra or replacement tracks is really easy. I wonder why Protools makes it hard?

Been using Pro Tools since 1998-9. Back then you had the choice of recording in Sound Designer II files or wav and most people on PT used SDII. AIFF is mostly used for audio for video IME. I am currently on the newest PT version and it won't play back the old SDII files plus the default recording file system is using wav. There must be something getting lost in translation. Can't see much point in 96 khz unless doing orchestral or archival but that's just me. Converting to AIFF is easy done as has been pointed out.

I do keep my old PT 5.3 system in working order if I need to convert SDII files to wav, but there should be absolutely no problem doing what you have offered.

He keeps referring to "professional studios" as he tells me everything has to be 96 kHz because that's the industry standard these days. If you're saying your newest version of PT uses WAV as a default.. that just blows my mind.

As far as I know wav and aiff have been the two standards for, more or less, ever,
although ProTools will happily accept a lot of other formats - mp3 for example.

Matching sample rates is nice but ProTools doesn't care if I have a 96k session and drag in a 48k wav. It will just auto-resample it on the way in so, even with a mismatch, it's still literally drag+drop.

... ...

Matching sample rates is nice but ProTools doesn't care if I have a 96k session and drag in a 48k wav. It will just auto-resample it on the way in so, even with a mismatch, it's still literally drag+drop.
From what I've been reading on the subject, this is right on.

I'm thinking he wants me to be a part of the whole project with mixing and using all of Pro Tools native FX processing and plugins. Now he's offering to help finance my aquisition of Pro Tools.. I declined.
ouch. It's a long and winding road on Protools, but it IS the industry standard for some pretty good reasons. The FX and plugins are in a universe of their own, it seems. and I thought midi was for video game quality... but no... theirs is really good.

Back