Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

That's a cool song. You get not one but two prizes. First prize is 5 stars on soundclick and the next is a few rep points. Keep posting as you get them done.

yep!
the verb on that is from an electro harmonix holy grail too!
(hall setting i think).

the pres are either modded shure m67 pres or an m-audio dmp3 (mostly the shure though)
everything went through an art pro vla even if it wasnt compressed (though most of it was).

and i think the only mics used where an mxl 960 (for the bass and as an overhead for the percussion section (((a school bell a tamborine and a marching bass drum))))

some peavey LDD on the bass drum, and everything else was an electrovoice 635a.
the delay on the cello was an mxr carbon copy.

the mixer was home made but you only really here it in the bounced tracks as i dumped this to my digital 16 track so i could take it home easily.
(has really rough converters so it kind of flattened some stuff more then i would have liked).
and now im done yacking about my gear!
:D

Just as a note for anyone going back over my recordings in this thread, the server they're hosted on was taken down for maintenance. Unfortunately the guys managed to erase the data in the account, so getting it back up again is going to be a problem. Hopefully it'll be restored over the next couple of days. If not, I might have to look at soundclick or something else.

EDIT:

thank you - i used a farfisa professional model combo organ through a silverface twin reverb. the album itself has a LOT of vintage keyboards on it! wurlitzer, mellotron, RMI electra piano, farfisa. plus a lot of other weird little instruments like glockenspiel, harmonica, kazoo, trumpet, etc.
Okay, another question about the album. I'm just listening to "The only road you're gonna find" again - what did you use for the slapback effect on the vocals?

Last edited:
Just as a note for anyone going back over my recordings in this thread, the server they're hosted on was taken down for maintenance. Unfortunately the guys managed to erase the data in the account, so getting it back up again is going to be a problem. Hopefully it'll be restored over the next couple of days. If not, I might have to look at soundclick or something else.

EDIT:

Okay, another question about the album. I'm just listening to "The only road you're gonna find" again - what did you use for the slapback effect on the vocals?

hey, the effect is just basic tape echo, its a tascam 22-2. its on most vocals throughout (and some other instruments here and there), usually on 7.5 ips. they were sent to the tascam on a separate buss and sent back in to the board during mixdown. the tape echo is turned up louder on some tracks than others. thanks for asking

rOn.KnOb's next 'direct to cassette' all analog synth effort...

Here's two packs of new C60 chromes just arrived this afternoon from the supplier for rOn's next attempt at a free form, live to two track cassette recording using the old Yamaha CS30 mono synth. It'll be the first cassette release for 2010 for hand_art_sound.

CIMG2143.jpg

This time we've got a lot more adventurous with a three channel mid/side mix with some spring reverb and double slap tape echo at 7 1/2 ips. We've also got the hang of the eight note sequencer on the Yamaha for some interesting grooves. The trick will be to keep it up for a full 30 minutes of uninterrupted knob twidling and manage a nice fade out at the end without hitting the end tape leader. Then we'll have to deliver another 30 minute performance for side II with a completely different set of initial settings on the Yamaha.

CIMG1940.jpg

Lord know's what'll come out but tonight we'll have a go. I'll stick up a bit of it tomorrow if it's all good.

:)

Man, this has proven to be harder than we thought it would be. We really don't know enough about synthesizer theory to create something really 'tuneful' yet. It's better than our earlier effort though. So far we've managed thirty minutes of this kind of stuff on the old synth (don't worry :), it's only three minutes of it)...

This has been digitized off the C60 chrome cassette that it was recorded directly on to. It seems to have a huge amount of bottom end mass in the 13Hz ~ 20Hz range. Probably because we chose a 128' and a 64' wavelength to start from. I'm surprised the cassette deck managed to record it down there. I could have chopped it out with a 20 Hz high pass filter I guess but it lost something when I did it.

This old synth is mono analog and has no midi and no pattern storage so you have to set up your initial patch manually. Then you can go and twiddle knobs and sliders once it's up and running. This patch has been set up with one of the two VCO/VCF/VCA combinations and the three envelope generators being driven off the eight step sequencer and the other VCO/VCF/VCA combination off the keyboard. That's why the repetitious pattern is coming out the right (sequencer) and the atmospheric (keyboard) stuff is coming out the left.

The old synth's sequencer is not like a modern midi one. It just allows you to create a new note from the key currently being played by turning one of it's eight knobs to the right to create a higher note or to the left to create a lower one. It sounds like it can manage about four octaves difference from fully left to fully right. Then you can choose how many steps you want it to cycle through - from 1 to 8. This one was 8 steps. Finally you can vary the speed of it. I think it's the kind of sequencer that created the synth line in The Who's Baba O'Riley.

This whole thirty minute piece was created by setting up the initial patch, setting off the sequencer then adjusting one knob at a time to try and 'play' the synth's various oscillators, filters, envelope generators and amplifiers in some sort of sympathy with the sequencer. The keyboard wasn't touched at all aside from the initial note.

There's spring reverb and tape echo running around from the board as well. It's been kind of fun keeping it up for thirty minutes not really knowing what is going to happen when a knob gets turned.

We're a bit bereft of ideas for side two at the moment. Our current efforts haven't produced much. We'll have another go tonight.

CIMG2147.jpg

Last edited:
rOn.KnOb Side Two

Here's two minutes of what we came up with this evening. I kind of like it...

This one just uses four of the eight available steps on the CS-30's sequencer before it cycles around again. The booming bottom end has gone. It was the spring reverb. Invoking the 70Hz high pass on it's return channel fixed it.

I was pleasantly surprised how well the cassette deck did recording this thing.

sounds pretty good,
only thing id suggest is either making the backing track a little darker (this is what id do)
or make the vocal a little brighter.
i think the fact that the backing track is so much brighter then the vocal is making it not sit quite as nicely as it could.

sounds pretty good,
only thing id suggest is either making the backing track a little darker (this is what id do)
or make the vocal a little brighter.
i think the fact that the backing track is so much brighter then the vocal is making it not sit quite as nicely as it could.

Agreed. The vocals seem kind of muffled up. It sounds really cool though. I've read in an issue of EQ magazine about a techno group that mixes their songs down to Tape. Some of the masters were done at 7.5 ips! I might upload some stuff I have done sometime. none of it so far has come close to yours though. ;)

Thanks for the input guys. I agree that the vox are kind of dry and lifeless. The backing track is brighter, I agree with that as well. I just tweaked them a little on the highs from the board for the backing track. It has been suggested that I try tracking the vox on a SM57 I guess it has the tone that's nice for rap. I'll try to work on it and re post. Thanks again.

What mic did you use on the vocals that you already did? I'm just curious.

An SM57 might work pretty good. The SM7 seems to be very popular for rapping but it is significantly more expensive than a 57.

I generally use a condenser for any kind of vocals though. It just makes people I work with happy to be singing into a mic that looks more legit the kind they use live haha. And they just have a "clearer" sound to them than many dynamics which they like. I think I would get an SM7, or other dynamics for vocals if I had some good pres with a lot of gain. I haven't done any rap stuff though.

What mic did you use on the vocals that you already did? I'm just curious.

An SM57 might work pretty good. The SM7 seems to be very popular for rapping but it is significantly more expensive than a 57.

I generally use a condenser for any kind of vocals though. It just makes people I work with happy to be singing into a mic that looks more legit the kind they use live haha. And they just have a "clearer" sound to them than many dynamics which they like. I think I would get an SM7, or other dynamics for vocals if I had some good pres with a lot of gain. I haven't done any rap stuff though.

For the vox I used an AKG Perception 200 (condenser) I will be doing the final mix when I get my monitors in January. Right now I'm stuck with headphones, computer speakers and stereo. I've been wanting a SM57 for the longest time. After I get the monitors I'm going to invest in a few 57's I don't know much about the SM7 My signal chain is a few different mics the AKG being my best right now, Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro DBX 150 noise reduction's Tascam 38 DOD 512 fx Teac X-7R mixdown deck and of course a Furman power conditioner.

for some reason none of the stuff I have done has that "unmistakeably analog" sound to them. Maybe it's the new tape?

It might also be that i've never done anything that's more than just 2 guitars and a bass jamming so far. I'm hopeing to get a bunch more analog recordings :)

Man I love the CD you sent. Do you have other albums? Let me know.

thanks buddy - 2nd album has been completed but not mixed yet. our priorities right now are live shows and a 7" vinyl EP, which should be released along with the 2nd album around spring time. thanks again

Back