Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

This is a rough mix but I'm pretty pleased with it. I don't usually do cover songs, but there weren't any good versions of this on youtube, so I decided to make my own. I couldn't quite get the crushed piano sound on the original record but overall I think it went pretty well.

The mix was recorded to the computer rather than to 2-track tape, but as I say, it's a draft.
Things to be fixed include: editing out the sound of me grasping at the lyrics sheet and also trying to make the violin solo sound more like the original. I have no idea what they did, but recording the same note and varispeeding it should give a similar effect.

The original was done by the Bonzo Dog Doodah Band, better known for "I'm the Urban Spaceman" and "Canyons of your Mind".

I don't know this song but I do like your sound. You will do analog at some point in this process right?
Yes, it was tracked on tape. The final version will be mixed to tape as well, but it's not quite ready for that.

EDIT: And yes, the reason I did this song is because it's obscure :P

Yes, it was tracked on tape. The final version will be mixed to tape as well, but it's not quite ready for that.

EDIT: And yes, the reason I did this song is because it's obscure :P

I'm sorry I misunderstood. Let us know when you have the final mix. What tape deck or decks do you use?

I'm sorry I misunderstood. Let us know when you have the final mix. What tape deck or decks do you use?

This was done on a TSR-8. Echo was done on a Watkins Copicat Mk4. The final mix and any tape manipulation I do for the violin solo will be done on a A807.

I assumed that the original, recorded in 1968 would have been done on a 4-track setup, but it looks like they used 8-track as well.

I put another track I did awhile ago up for all you metal fans. It's called "No Love Lost," is kind of a Led Zeppelin meets Megadeth kind of sound from 2005. I recorded it on a Tascam MSR-16 and tracked it with a $100 Peavey live mixer, because that's all I had at the time.

http://www.soundclick.com/exnightstalker

-MD

Great job Maddog! I think the whole recording sounds pretty damn good. Especially with a Peavy live mixer. Great job on the drums! :cool:

Been a while...

I've been keeping tabs and listening to peoples' songs. Everyone here is doing really impressive work! I've been crazy busy lately, and my studio (uh, bedroom) is a total wreck. A lot of things are in pieces everywhere...

I managed to throw this together in maybe 8-10 hours over the past week. As usual, I'm trying out a few different things, to see if anything feels good.

This is what I ended up with: "Guitar Chimes Trem"

I think my mixing is getting better, and I'm going to do some work in my friend's studio to get cleaner sounds. Better room, plate reverb, two homemade LA-2A compressors, API console... really tasty stuff. I'll take the tapes home and do all of the editing on my equipment. I am REALLY stoked about that.

nice

I've been keeping tabs and listening to peoples' songs. Everyone here is doing really impressive work! I've been crazy busy lately, and my studio (uh, bedroom) is a total wreck. A lot of things are in pieces everywhere...

I managed to throw this together in maybe 8-10 hours over the past week. As usual, I'm trying out a few different things, to see if anything feels good.

This is what I ended up with: "Guitar Chimes Trem"

I think my mixing is getting better, and I'm going to do some work in my friend's studio to get cleaner sounds. Better room, plate reverb, two homemade LA-2A compressors, API console... really tasty stuff. I'll take the tapes home and do all of the editing on my equipment. I am REALLY stoked about that.

Nice! Good to see some people doing their own thing!

Sounds good Lo fi. Are you going to use it as a tape loop in a song or add to it?

Thanks! It's actually made of a few loops. I'll be adding a lot more stuff to it, and it will serve as sort of a 'background layer' for a finished piece. I think it would be fun to bring sounds to foreground and use a compressor w/ sidechain to "duck" this background layer.

Back