Pop when I turn my monitors off?

Elton Bear

Unregistered Abuser
It's nothing massive, but every time I switch off my monitors I hear a faint "P-" as the life recedes. Should I be turning down the volume before I turn them off? I've got an Adams A5 active pair if that information makes any difference...
E.

What a coincidence. I was now asking myself the same question as I turned off my KRK's. It's very subtle and is only on the left one. I was about to write to KRK about this.

What I believe is happening is that when you turn the power off the Positive and Negitive voltage becomes uneven as the PSU Capacitors discharge causeing a momentary DC Offset at the speaker which causes a slight speaker displacement which manifests it"s self as a small Pop.....

I have a guitar amp I just built which has a pretty Bad Tun on/off pop ,so what I did was added a switch at the back which disengages the speaker , I call it a "Standby switch" ... so I put my amp on standby which disengages the speaker , then I turn on the Power to the amp, then I turn the standby Off ,and I am ready to rock without any Pops ...I do the same but in reverce when turning the amp off... But my Pop was really Bad which I"m sure yours isn"t so you probably need to go through such steps to get rid of the pop...

Cheers

I have had this too and just have my main output volume turned off before I switch my monitors on or off.

I tend to go easy on my stuff though..
but I figure I'm going on 6 years without any serious issues so.....:cool:

There are 3 signs of a good amp...first one is the light will take a bit of time before it turns off after you use the switch...second is it is heavy...and third the output caps will discharge and bump the woofers a bit at 60hz...Id worry if it didnt happen.:p

Back