• Eric Clapton

Votes: 23 17.0%
  • BB King

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Slash

Votes: 41 30.4%
  • write-in

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • all these guys rock what are you thinking?

Votes: 28 20.7%

• Total voters
i dont think anyone here would begin to challenge Malmsteen's raw talent in the area of music theory and technical skill, but it doesnt get you far when you dont write something that can change a mood or strongly convey a message. Aside from the general public not liking him (which means nothing) i dont think even musicians find his songs interesting to listen to. He's an amazing guitar player and a talented shredder without a doubt, but his lack of song writing leaves him at just the OK mark in most peoples books.

Ditto

Forget aliases, just ban complete fucking tools like this idiot

My point being, everyone has different tastes. Perhaps it's because I'm 58 years old. In my day it was Clapton vs Hendrix, Wakeman vs Emerson and on and on and on.
As I got older all that sort of stuff became irrelevant. It's like Gibson vs Fender, who gives a rat's arse, they're both guitars. It's music it's supposed to make you feel good. I can just feel the love, when people post, 'I HATE, HE'S SUCH A WANKER, OVERRATED BLAH, BLAH BLAH. When my fourteen year old niece had 12 vertebrae removed from her spine. and then had her spine fused with a metal rod due to scoliosis (not her fault) that is important. Too many of my family / friends have died for me to take slagging of other musicians seriously.
Comparisons don't even come up on my radar these days, He's better, she's better - they're born. they live, they die.
If I offended you all, my apologies.

PS Thank you Phil for your kind and insightful feedback

Last edited:
My goodness, things are getting a bit touchy here.

First of all, Jimmy Vaughan is not overrated. He's not that great, but I've never heard anyone rate him highly. He's pretty much rated exactly where he should be.

I'd say...Kurt Cobain. I love Kurt, but as a guitarist? Naaaaaaaah. Good but not that good. He emotes much more effectively with his voice.

If you want to make the distinction between player and writer, fine. To me, the two are inseparable. If you've written your solo, then you are writing.

And in that case Joe Satriani is the most overrated guitarist of all time IMO. Yes, his chops are freakin awesome, but his writing skills are beyond pathetic. He's so bad that it eliminates whatever virtuosity may be there. Seriously, I know people who have been playing less than 2 years that write better songs than him.

Plus he sues people for copying his unoriginal/unimaginative bullshit.

First of all, Jimmy Vaughan is not overrated. He's not that great, but I've never heard anyone rate him highly. He's pretty much rated exactly where he should be.

I'd say...Kurt Cobain. I love Kurt, but as a guitarist? Naaaaaaaah. Good but not that good. He emotes much more effectively with his voice.

Kurt Cobain is just not that highly regarded as a guitarist near as I can tell. Decent songwriter IMO.

My point being, everyone has different tastes. Perhaps it's because I'm 58 years old. In my day it was Clapton vs Hendrix, Wakeman vs Emerson and on and on and on.
As I got older all that sort of stuff became irrelevant. It's like Gibson vs Fender, who gives a rat's arse, they're both guitars. It's music it's supposed to make you feel good. I can just feel the love, when people post, 'I HATE, HE'S SUCH A WANKER, OVERRATED BLAH, BLAH BLAH. When my fourteen year old niece had 12 vertebrae removed from her spine. and then had her spine fused with a metal rod due to scoliosis (not her fault) that is important. Too many of my family / friends have died for me to take slagging of other musicians seriously.
Comparisons don't even come up on my radar these days, He's better, she's better - they're born. they live, they die.
If I offended you all, my apologies.

PS Thank you Phil for your kind and insightful feedback

Too long/Didn't read.

Basically: If you want to make a pointless post, that some might find insulting, go to The Cave. Simple.

The Rolling Stone knows nothing about guitarist. Lou Reed, Cobain? Fucking shit. Randy Rhoads was 2 steps above Joan Jett????????? Joan fucking ugly dyke Jett?????? She isn't even a real guitarist.

Jack White & BB King ahead of them too? Fuck me, these guys suck. There are way better blues players than BB King. Thousands of 'em. And Jack White a guitarist? Rolling Homos obviously are biased towards idiots that experiment with guitar, even if they suck (aka Tom Morello). Plus they have a political bias as well.

But there's one guy that doesn't get much credit who probably deserves some. I know I've bashed him, but Mick Mars is not as bad as I've claimed he is. He's solid for what he does. He's usually brought up as a punch line instead of a good player. But he lays down good rhythms and riffs and is solid live. And he's way better than 99% of the fuckers on that list.

The Rolling Stone knows nothing about guitarist. Lou Reed, Cobain? Fucking shit. Randy Rhoads was 2 steps above Joan Jett????????? Joan fucking ugly dyke Jett?????? She isn't even a real guitarist.

Jack White & BB King ahead of them too? Fuck me, these guys suck. There are way better blues players than BB King. Thousands of 'em. And Jack White a guitarist? Rolling Homos obviously are biased towards idiots that experiment with guitar, even if they suck (aka Tom Morello). Plus they have a political bias as well.

But there's one guy that doesn't get much credit who probably deserves some. I know I've bashed him, but Mick Mars is not as bad as I've claimed he is. He's solid for what he does. He's usually brought up as a punch line instead of a good player. But he lays down good rhythms and riffs and is solid live. And he's way better than 99% of the fuckers on that list.

:laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

It's not fucking 1984 anymore, dweeb. :laughings:

If you don't like them, don't listen to them. Seriously you need to get lives.

And if you don't like this thread, don't get involved in it. Seriously, you need to get a life. :laughings:

My point being, everyone has different tastes.

Yeah, and people like to discuss them. Who the hell are you to say that they shouldn't? It's better than sitting around bitching about people talking about stuff. :laughings:

OK, new rule: you are only allowed to have an opinion on anything if you know someone who has died, or alternatively, if you are dead yourself :drunk:

Jimi Hendrix
In a curious kind of way, much as I dig his playing, I agree with this. Live, he was fantastic but I bet most Hendrix afficianados never saw him live. So we have his records to go by and on his official output, is his guitar playing really revolutionary ? I mean, any more so than the hundreds of damn good guitarists of that epoch* ? And even on the millions of posthumous live albums and recordings, his playing is so much the central focal point that Noel Redding/Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell/Buddy Miles may as well not be there sometimes. I actually think Hendrix did write good songs but it wasn't until Gil Evans did big jazz band versions (full of electric instruments, I might add) that one could see their scope. I love long wandering meanderings, but I like them to be interactions between the band members, not just setting up the same wash for someone to solo over for seventeen days and an afternoon. To me, no matter how "good" a player you are, if your greatness is out of context of the songs you play, then you're something other than great.
Welcome to homerecording.com, the site where you're guaranteed to get touchy :mad: feely :o and sometimes a little sweaty. ;)

*I get tired of saying "era" or "time" !

Yeah that Rolling Stone article is completely irrelevant to the world, any with a brain knows its B.S. In the grunge world we have Cobain @ 12, Kim Thayil 100, and Jerry Cantrell not even on the list?

Ritchie Blackmore, EVH, Randy Rhoads, Iommi below 50? Im not a huge fan of any of those but WTF?
Im not really a slash fan either but the rest of the world, especially in pop culture loves him and he's not even on the list? and Joan Jett is?

Back