• Eric Clapton

Votes: 23 17.0%
  • BB King

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Slash

Votes: 41 30.4%
  • write-in

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • all these guys rock what are you thinking?

Votes: 28 20.7%

• Total voters
I'm not a huge Clapton fan, but Slash wins for sure. Izzy was the fucking man in GNR.

I don't understand why Jimmy Vaughan is on there. I always just think of him as a tasty rhythm player.

slash ??

i saw slash a few nights ago ... on the rock n roll hall of fame thing .... vr played aint talkin bout love ....... slash totaly blew it .... actualy the whole band blew it ........ and i am a slash fan :confused:

I caught that too. I haven't really paid attention to Velvet Revolver, but it seems like either Slash has gotten rusty, or he was having an off night, or he was just doing his standard awards show thing like his acceptance speech back at the American Music Awards in 1990 (waiting until the second fifth of Jack was gone before hitting the stage).

To be honest, Slash has always been somewhere in my top 3 guitar players (his spot, as well as the other two in there, alternates depending on what I'm listening at the time, but he's the only one consistantly in there).

I think he was probably the reason I picked up a guitar in the first place. I've never considered him a super virtuoso or anything, I just kinda picked up on his whole gloriously sloppy yet soulful thing that he does, and I dig it. Kinda like an updated Jimmy Page imo. It's probably because I'm sloppy in just about every aspect of my life, so I can relate.

But yeah, the "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" thing kinda took it to an extreme, like, to incompetence.

slash ?

i thought they were all clean and sober ??? but the 2nd 5th of jack would explain a lot ......... slash has always been one of my favorites ..... because of the page style ..... the whole slopy thing .... you know ...........

From the last thing I heard (and this might be from the late 90s, or early 00s, I don't really remember), Slash is "clean and sober" as in he doesn't do heroin anymore. If I had to bet, I'd say that Tennessee whiskey still makes up a decent percentage of his daily caloric intake.

slash ?

that would certianly explain what i saw on tv the other night ......... why would anyone play i gig in that condition i will never know .......... :confused:

I will start by saying I am a huge fan.....most overrated.....Rick Nielson fo Cheap Trick. He plays more guitars than chords.

"why would anyone play i gig in that condition i will never know .......... "

I think that's just part of his thing, always has been. GnR were never especially known for their consistancy or professionalism, but I think the chaos was part of the charm.

As far as the Neil Young thing, I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to him as a really great guitarist. I like his style, it's definitely his own unique thing, but I don't see a lot of people raving about his technique or the fleetness of his fingers.

not sure about that, neil young has a unique style, granted his solo work is'int out of this world but his chord and song structue more than makes up for it IMO

i think all guitarists on the list are great, im a fan of them all :)

Why has noone mentioned Carlos Santana? I cannot stand his sour, slightly off tone or his tecnique, and yet when he plays the same damn solo in EVERY SONG he has played since 1969, people talk of him as a guitar god. Sorry - he seems to be a really cool guy, but his playing to me really stinks. It's beyond sloppy, and generally free of any good licks.

boingoman said:
I don't understand why Jimmy Vaughan is on there. I always just think of him as a tasty rhythm player.

i guess I mainly put him in there because he has a strat signature guitar.

My vote is for eric c. He's an ok player. I just don't think I could pick out his playing in a line up. His song writing is the king of suckola IMO. I think he was over influenced, and never really did his own thing.

BB king has more soul pouring out of his simple blues style than most players get in a careers' worth of playing - he is a true all around personality. Jimmy Vaughn blows. Total basic junk. Nothing against the guy, I don't know himI think that if someone is famous, it should be because they posess unique skills that most of us don't. His playing is altogether blah. It actually looks like it's hard for him to play those simplistic licks!

I always thought Yngwie Malmsteen was way overated. While his super fast soloing may have been technically impressive in the context of the speed metal marathon days, the rest of his surrounding songwriting was just a bunch of unmemorable monotonous junk. (Actually if you slowed down all his solos and riffs to half speed, they wouldnt be all that impressive either).

To me Yngwie has about as much appeal as a Pinto that does 0-60 in 6 seconds. While that may be fast, at the end of the day its still a lame ass Pinto with very limited appeal.

I think Eric Clapton is a great songwriter. Nothing that impressive about his "playing technique" though. But who cares...

NRS said:
I always thought Yngwie Malmsteen was way overated. While his super fast soloing may have been technically impressive in the context of the speed metal marathon days, the rest of his surrounding songwriting was just a bunch of unmemorable monotonous junk. (Actually if you slowed down all his solos and riffs to half speed, they wouldnt be all that impressive either).

To me Yngwie has about as much appeal as a Pinto that does 0-60 in 6 seconds. While that may be fast, at the end of the day its still a lame ass Pinto with very limited appeal.

Agreed. The only thing Yngwie has going for him is speed and there are MUCH faster players out there (Michael Angelo :rolleyes: Michael Romeo, etc.)...

Back