plugins

Br3n

i know this isnt a plugin zone.

i am looking for someone who can build plugins as i wish to build a custom gate plugin but i dont have the know how.

any suggestions would be great

i am learning how to write in c++ but hoping someone here can already write c++ and willing to help and possibly start something.

I know C++ well, and I even started looking into doing some VST programming. I fiigured hey, I love digital audio, I know how to code...I should write some plugins!

But holy crap, digital signal processing has a really steep learning curve! I quickly gave up on my idea of authoring the next great VST in the history of mankind. There exists a great "starter kit" manual online that explains the basic concepts of DSP. It's not a light read, but it's nicely done.

I know that there are a couple of guys that hang out on the Cockos forums (the Reaper website) that write plugins.

Maybe even try the Steinberg forums since they own the standard for the VST API. There might be some code monkeys hanging out there :)

Tadpui thanks dude. i am willing to put the learning curve in as i am not looking to become a game changer in the plugin world. i just want to build a few ideas i have for personal use and place them out there for others to use. if they take off then great if not no harm done as i will have the plugin that works best for me and my way of working/thinking.

Mite be a bit basic but the older versions of Max/MSP allowed you turn your patch into a VST.
Sadly the new versions do not, but it might be worth a look.

If you're not familiar with Max, it's a very simple, easy to learn, graphical environment.
I think old versions are still available for download and, last I checked, they had a 30 day trial.

I got to looking around today, I'm a little curious what all help is out there for the budding VST developer. This looks like a really great start: VST Plug-Ins SDK Documentation

The examples they have are some really simple "hello world" kinds of VST plugins. AGain is as simple as it gets, and it looks like they go into detail about every element of it, so you could hit the ground running after understanding that program.

Not to bring things down, but why do you want to create a custom gate? I can't even remember the last, nor the first time I used one for recording. I find it a great thing for live distorted guitars in stomp box form, but never have I been lazy enough to use one in recording. It is much better in my experience to edit manually. No gate can decide if the guitar part is supposed to choke off immediately or fade out. Or whether a mute was meant to have that extra chunk. That is a player decided thing. Oh wait, you are a guitar player huh? :)

If you have an idea that could decide that for a player, I will be all over buying it.

:D

Not to bring things down, but why do you want to create a custom gate?

To tell the truth....I was thinking the same thing when I saw this thread yesterday....but I also didn't want to put a damper on his question. :D

Thought really....it's not about bringing things down, it's more about wondering what need for a "custom" gate there is.
I certainly can see it in the analog domain during tracking.....but like you said, these days, going into a DAW....I would never bother with a gate on the way in because they are never prefect or super-precise, no matter how well you set them.

Heck...IMO....the DAW makes them almost obsolete, and I too much rather edit after the fact, because I know I can do it very selectively and with precision....VS....running an automated gate.
Sure...it take some time to edit, but to simply remove (gate) something like ambient noise between notes/words...or to remove bleed from some other instrument, I can knock out a 5 minute track in no time.

Anyway...not looking to put a damper on anything...:)...just curious what the intent/use would be for a gate, and what type of custom function is needed?

It's off topic, but I just downloaded something called the UltraChannel by Eventide that you also have to have the I-Lok system for. Got it for free but they claim that after July 8 you'll have to pay $249.00 for it. Being as I used to own some of their products I downloaded it. Anyone else get it?

Yep, got it. Not sure I have a use for it, but it free! :)

Actually there are some useful things in there but not sure I would use a plug of 10 effects that I don't need all of them for in a single channel. I am not sure how much of a resource hog it is either as I just don't care. Others may have issues.

It does have a gate on it though. Nothing I will ever use.

Yep, got it. Not sure I have a use for it, but it free! :)

Actually there are some useful things in there but not sure I would use a plug of 10 effects that I don't need all of them for in a single channel. I am not sure how much of a resource hog it is either as I just don't care. Others may have issues.

It does have a gate on it though. Nothing I will ever use.
At least if we ever need it, we know it's there!:)

Back on topic, In REAPER there are JS plug-ins which you can enter so to speak & mess around with things if you wish, & some are written by members, worth a look?

i want to start programming plugins for all kind of things but at the moment i have an idea for a gate plugin that i think may work fairly well but may not.

as for the use of it who knows may be an effect sort of thing or to actually have a gate that could be flexible enough to use on anything for anything.

i have a hybrid set up down the studio using an analog mixing desk feeding ad/da converters and for the most part want to try and use the equipment with more of an analog feel as in limited editing and allowing musicians to have feel and mistakes as i think music sounds better when you capture the players performance as is.

having said that the obvious advantage of using a daw is that if i do need to edit i can. so its not so much an idea of being lazy but an idea of how to help my work flow and help me with things i like to do. and as i said if it works well then il put it out there for others to use.

i will have a look into the reaper stuff as it may be a great place to just have a look at whats going on.

I didn't mean to come across as condescending in any way. I read my post again today and that is how it sounds. I was not inferring that you are lazy by any means. I just have had no luck with gates myself and phrased that wrong.

I wish you the best with your plugin ideas and look forward to hearing/trying them out. :D

thats fine jimmy. i know you didnt mean it like that. you are one of the nice guys on here. and actually i think the gate idea i have may resolve some issue with gating but we shall see if i can get it there.

I found this thread searching for Eventide because I just got Ultrachannel as well and wanted to share.

But, since I'm here, I am a C++ programmer and just finished a CS degree, I have been interested in audio programming also and can recommend 2 books highly.

1. Designing Audio Effect Plug-Ins in C++ by Will Pirkle, this book is excellent by an audio engineering professor from U of Miami. Excellent explanation of theory and the maths necessary to manipulate sampled audio. He has developed an application he calls RackAFX which works in tandem with Visual Studio and greatly aids the development of DLL's. I began with this book recently and coded a gain plug-in and a filter in the first couple of weeks.

2. The Audio Programming Book, by Richard Boulanger. This book focuses on C and even starts with a C refresher for those uninitiated. This book is becoming the Bible of audio programming since it's release, and it does get very deep, but it is pretty accessible IMO. There are some concepts in audio that require some knowledge of calculus, and the physics of sound waves wouldn't hurt, but it can be done at your own pace.

Hope this helps, there is tons of info out there, but I think Pirkle's book should be just what you're looking for.

Back