Please give feedback :)

Eye of the Tiger is another example of staying in your range. The song is in a key too high for your voice.

I can totally hear my monotone voice on Tears in Heaven and then suddenly I put more life into it, and then lose it again, but as I said in my previous comment, it's mostly because I'm rarely home alone so I try to hide my voice hahaha..

Don't.

Don't try to hide your voice. Let 'er rip!

When I first started recording my voice, I was afraid to let it go and be natural. The results were the comments about fighting cats. If you don't think about someone judging you and just let your natural, comfortable voice do its thing, you will probably see marked difference.

Don't.

When I first started recording my voice, I was afraid to let it go and be natural. The results were the comments about fighting cats. If you don't think about someone judging you and just let your natural, comfortable voice do its thing, you will probably see marked difference.

Yeah, I know I shouldn't man, but that came to me with years.. when I was young I always sang in front of people, I was in a school choir, I really liked to sing, but I guess when I was starting to hit puberty I sang less and less, I guess something changed in my head and I started to be less confident.. I mean, that's normal, insecurities are a part of growing up, different people have different insecurities haha

Don't.

But now I'm trying to get a fresh start, and constructive criticism means a lot to me at this point.

You should get yourself a small, pocket sized digital recorder. When you are alone and with no chance of anyone hearing you, practice singing without restraint. I'll be you'll see a difference. Then work your way up to singing in front of people again.

And try more karaoke without the duet partner. Tackle the whole song yourself.

You should get yourself a small, pocket sized digital recorder. When you are alone and with no chance of anyone hearing you, practice singing without restraint. I'll be you'll see a difference. Then work your way up to singing in front of people again.

And try more karaoke without the duet partner. Tackle the whole song yourself.

Yeah, I will have to sing more when nobody's around and try to get some confidence again..

You listened to my cover of Fantasy, right? There were several other people in the room when I recorded that. I was wearing headphones so all they could hear is my voice as I belted that song into the mic. I don't expect you to do that, but the more you practice and gain confidence, the better you will get. And I would suggest going out to karaoke bars and giving that a shot. Most of those places are filled with drunks who would cheer you on if you were up there sounding like someone stuck a cat's ass in a blender, so you don't have to worry about negative comments. But you will be in front of people and getting exposure. Work your way up to that.

You listened to my cover of Fantasy, right? There were several other people in the room when I recorded that. I was wearing headphones so all they could hear is my voice as I belted that song into the mic. I don't expect you to do that, but the more you practice and gain confidence, the better you will get. And I would suggest going out to karaoke bars and giving that a shot. Most of those places are filled with drunks who would cheer you on if you were up there sounding like someone stuck a cat's ass in a blender, so you don't have to worry about negative comments. But you will be in front of people and getting exposure. Work your way up to that.

I don't really know if there's any karaoke bars in my city, it's not that popular here (Zagreb, Croatia) but I think I will first have to try to sing in front of my family, I mean, when I was younger they always told that I can sing and my brother can't, but my voice has changed a lot since then, and I know I wasn't a flat singer back then.. And yeah, I listened to your cover of Fantasy :D btw, when I learn to play my guitar better, I think I will sing much easier in front of people.

Well good luck with you endeavors. I don't know what else I can say to help out. I only know what worked for me doesn't work for everyone. My daughter took lessons from a voice coach, and it messed her up. She sang higher and with more confidence BEFORE she took lessons. We are all different.

Well good luck with you endeavors. I don't know what else I can say to help out. I only know what worked for me doesn't work for everyone. My daughter took lessons from a voice coach, and it messed her up. She sang higher and with more confidence BEFORE she took lessons. We are all different.

For now I'll just try to teach myself, but thanks for your advices :D

I hear good and bad.
When youre singing the part that says "with" in "falling in love with you" youre off.. i guess they call it flat? Idk but its off.
Theres good in it tho too.
I can tell towards the end you sounded like you were getting more into it or more relaxed having more fun etc and it started to sound good.
Like around 2:14-2:18 you let your voice explore out of the limited area you were in a little bit and hit a note that sounded like it fit your voice.

Have fun w it.

Just my 2 cents

Matt

Hey btw will you give me your honest opinion on my voice too?
I just joined and posted a quick clip to see if ppl thought me singing on it was any good. If u can thx, if not i understand.

Have fun.

Hey i just thought- i wonder what youd sound like singing dean martin.
Or even frank sinatra.
That might fit your voice really well.
Worth an experiment id think.
Just a thought.

Matt

I hear good and bad.
When youre singing the part that says "with" in "falling in love with you" youre off.. i guess they call it flat? Idk but its off.
Theres good in it tho too.
I can tell towards the end you sounded like you were getting more into it or more relaxed having more fun etc and it started to sound good.
Like around 2:14-2:18 you let your voice explore out of the limited area you were in a little bit and hit a note that sounded like it fit your voice.

Have fun w it.

Just my 2 cents

Matt

Hey btw will you give me your honest opinion on my voice too?
I just joined and posted a quick clip to see if ppl thought me singing on it was any good. If u can thx, if not i understand.

Have fun.

Thanks dude for your honest opinion, I know that "can't stop falling in love with you" wasn't my best performance and was pretty flat, but I appreciate your honest opinion and no problem dude, I will listen to you singing when I get to my pc..

Also, I will try to sing Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin, I would be thrilled if I did sound anything like them hahah

Alright man, Ill be honest with my personal opinion-
I listened to 3 songs.

The good-
These parts of the recordings sound like your 'sweet spot' in the range youre singing in:

Hallelujah: 2:20-223 & 2:27-2:29

Yesterday: 2:28-2:33, the highest part of 'yesterday' when it goes 'in yester-day-a-a-ay'

Stay with me: :45-:48

The bad-
Hallelujah: 2:37-2:41
Spots in the others.

The ugly:
You've got some power behind your voice in certain parts, but its not there a lot of the time. You sound sort of nasally? Thats the only way I can describe it... that might* work with certain niche kind of songs or styles, but not majority of songs and styles.
It also sounds like you're 'working' a lot of the time or 'trying'. Idk if this makes sense but have you ever heard someone singing and it just sounds like it flows out effortlessly? Like theyre not really trying it just comes out?

Try going through these 2 or 3 times.
The first one gets your breathing right and opens your voice up.
The second one deals with tone and projection.
Itll take a good 15 mins to do these right, and you may sound dumb while doing them, but if you do them right you will likely notice a BIG change in your voice, even just when speaking. Youll also be able to carry notes longer and project louder without trying very hard.
After I did those I was like whoa. Its a pretty dramatic before and after difference and it may help with some of those problems i spotted when listening to your recordings.

Daily Vocal Warm-Ups Exercises with Eric Arceneaux: Daily Vocal Warm-Ups Exercises with Eric Arceneaux - YouTube

Alright man, Ill be honest with my personal opinion-
I listened to 3 songs.

The good-
These parts of the recordings sound like your 'sweet spot' in the range youre singing in:

Hallelujah: 2:20-223 & 2:27-2:29

Yesterday: 2:28-2:33, the highest part of 'yesterday' when it goes 'in yester-day-a-a-ay'

Stay with me: :45-:48

The bad-
Hallelujah: 2:37-2:41
Spots in the others.

The ugly:
You've got some power behind your voice in certain parts, but its not there a lot of the time. You sound sort of nasally? Thats the only way I can describe it... that might* work with certain niche kind of songs or styles, but not majority of songs and styles.
It also sounds like you're 'working' a lot of the time or 'trying'. Idk if this makes sense but have you ever heard someone singing and it just sounds like it flows out effortlessly? Like theyre not really trying it just comes out?

Try going through these 2 or 3 times.
The first one gets your breathing right and opens your voice up.
The second one deals with tone and projection.
Itll take a good 15 mins to do these right, and you may sound dumb while doing them, but if you do them right you will likely notice a BIG change in your voice, even just when speaking. Youll also be able to carry notes longer and project louder without trying very hard.
After I did those I was like whoa. Its a pretty dramatic before and after difference and it may help with some of those problems i spotted when listening to your recordings.

Daily Vocal Warm-Ups Exercises with Eric Arceneaux: Daily Vocal Warm-Ups Exercises with Eric Arceneaux - YouTube

Thanks dude, and yeah, I've been told that I sound more on pitch and that my voice is more powerful at some parts which are the parts where I'm louder and generally put more emotion into it.. But I rarely do it because I try to sing when no one's around and I don't wanna be heard haha, so I don't really get into the songs as I would if I had some sort of studio where no one could hear me.. about me sounding "nasally", that's mostly because my voice is a bit messed up most of the time because I have trouble with it, I don't even breath through my nose most of the time.. btw, I'll check out those parts of the song so I could try to sing more like that, even though I kinda know where I sound better based on most of the people's opinions here.. One more question, if I manage to control my voice to the point where I'm singing like in those parts, do you think I would be good enough to be a singer in general, because I've been learning how to play a guitar for the past month-month and a half, and that would be something I would want to combine.. Thanks for the video link btw.

I know what you mean about wanting to sing loud and get into it etc. but not wanting ppl around to hear you. In my case I had this feeling like if i could just let loose and sing like in a soundproof place where no one else could hear i might listen to it it and realize its good! Feels like youre restrained or something and want to to see if u sound awesome when you let loose but u dont want ppl in hearing range to be like ugh that sounds bad or judge you etc. so u feel like youve never really given a 100% effort at singing a song and therefore dont truly know if its 'safe' to sing full blast when ppl are within hearing distance... at least thats how i felt...still feel that way at times... i think thats why i posted a link on this site... to find out without any risk to my ego...
I dont know if thats like what youre talking about but maybe?
Anyways- Id say if you fixed the 'nasally' part and if you found your vocal range and stayed in it/on point etc youd sound better.
Those parts of the songs were just like flashes of bam right there hes right on key or hitting the note or thats where his voice is just naturally tuned to singing or something.
As far as professionally, like making a living with it... at this point id say no imho. Im not saying its impossible. I am saying youre not there now.
Dont take it the wrong way- Youre not horrible like you dont hurt my ears etc.

Honestly man do those youtube vocal warmups- at least try them once- and then record yourself singing one of those same songs and compare it.
Im telling you man youll be like whoa.. they open up your voice and throat and make you pronounce things better and sing from your chest and head voice, and transition smoother. Its literally like flipping a switch. Just try it trust me.
Those may fix the probs i mentioned.

Btw- i dont mean to sound like a jerk or mean with what i said- im just trying to tell you straight, its how id want to be treated.

Peace
Matt

I reread my msg and i want to reiterate- I do think you have some potential.
if you can just work out those two issues i think it would be a night/day difference man.

Overall have fun with it too.

I know what you mean about wanting to sing loud and get into it etc. but not wanting ppl around to hear you. In my case I had this feeling like if i could just let loose and sing like in a soundproof place where no one else could hear i might listen to it it and realize its good! Feels like youre restrained or something and want to to see if u sound awesome when you let loose but u dont want ppl in hearing range to be like ugh that sounds bad or judge you etc. so u feel like youve never really given a 100% effort at singing a song and therefore dont truly know if its 'safe' to sing full blast when ppl are within hearing distance... at least thats how i felt...still feel that way at times... i think thats why i posted a link on this site... to find out without any risk to my ego...
I dont know if thats like what youre talking about but maybe?
..and that's exactly what I'm talking about, I'm only comfortable with my singing when I sing while playing the guitar, so I think that will help me too.. and yeah, also.. I didn't ask if I would be able to sing professionaly at this point, but more when I fix my pitch issues, which I think would be much better if I didn't "back out" of the songs while I'm singing, if you get what I'm saying, I do that often so no one could hear me.. and well if I don't hurt your ears while singing, I'm relatively happy, I wouldn't want to audition one day (if that ever happens) and be put in the "bad auditions funny compilation" hahaha

Btw, I'm working on a song so hopefully I will be able to finish that, my voice would probably sound more natural if it was my own song..

Thanks again for your constructive criticism, you give really concrete answers which help a lot!

For sure.
I spent ~2-3 yrs songwriting and playing my songs pretty much weekly on stage in a 'listening room' type setting where songwriters met and only were allowed to play original songs. No drum machines or karaoke, a guitar and a mic, maybe a fiddle.
It was a strict listening room- no talking playing pool none of that. If you werent in there to listen intently you pretty much were encouraged not to go to that venue on that night of the week.
There was a guy there who founded the place who was a songwriter and a big supporter of songwriters. He recently died, but what I got out of that experience was not everyone can make it as a singer/songwriter. Even if youve got the gift you still have to work to develop it.
Another thing I got was it is essential that you know youre personal range/key your voice fits/type of singing you are naturally inclined to excel at.
Its also extremely helpful to have ppl who will tell you the truth in love and to do the same to others yourself.
I will say that there is a place where music really is full of love and no ulterior motives. There also is a lot of 'business' behind the music thats sold concerts etc.
There are ppl who sign contracts get paid a salary and go into offices most days and write songs. There are ppl who sign contracts get paid to record those written songs and travel around playing them over and over to sell albums and merchendise. Sometimes the money ppl put making money over other things- and giving the ppl what their ppl/sources/data/etc tell them they want is how they do that.
Id almost compare it to a company making products that they think the masses will buy- they market it and try to create loyal customers by finding a singer that fits an image they can sell or molding a singer into that image they can sell. Their strategy is to sell product, and if that means getting ppl to become followers to the point of wanting to be like an artist etc to create a fanbase that will keep buying, they dont care if its destructive to individuals.

I dont mean to get too deep into all of this but my point is to point you to God. He cares about us and loves us. He wont put money over us.
Im a Christian- meaning I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God- and I know idolotry might bring to mind images of statues and burning incence and chanting or whatever, but the truth is that putting anything above/considering anything/anyone as more important to follow/serve look to for direction etc instead of God is the same thing. Gods got an awesome plan and He will guide you if you look to Him. If that plan includes professionally singing, He will help you to the point where no one can stop that plan from happening if youll do it the way He says to. Just look to Him. If His plan doesnt include singing professionally- that means Hes got something better in mind.

Maybe this is for you, maybe a reminder for me, or maybe someone else, but this is a lesson Ive learned.

Back