Please give feedback :)

You need some more practice. You're flat a good deal of the time..........especially during the chorus / bridge. It seems that when you put a little more strength in your vocal it is more on pitch. Perhaps this slow and low song is not your cup of tea. In any case..........keep at it.

Okay, thanks man for your honest opinion, I listed some of my other songs along with my song on youtube.. the ones on Smule, so you can try to listen to one of those if you catch some time.. But I see where you're coming from, and I forgot to say that I recorded this at night when everyone was sleeping so I couldn't really be very loud so that is one of the reasons why I sound a bit flat.. But my main concern is my voice, because I can work on my technique, but I'm wondering if my voice has potential

It's difficult to hear the quality of your voice because of the recording. I don't consider myself a singer, but my son learned the love of singing from me, and he's now professional quality. He also spent 15 years of his life training and studying as well. It takes work. Mostly it will depend on your ear and the amount of dedication you have to learn. If you can hear the errors and learn to correct them, you can learn the techniques, then find your place and your voice. Anything has potential if one's willing to spend the time to learn. If Bob Dylan can do it, almost anyone can...

and volume has nothing to do with being on pitch.

If you can hear the errors and learn to correct them, you can learn the techniques

++++++++++ THAT ^^^^^ Best basic advice. It seems that many who are trying to sing have great difficulty "hearing" their own issues. I think that's the VERY FIRST step toward becoming a better vocalist. (I guess that's obvious right?) If you can't hear what others hear.........you can't take the next step..........and the prognosis is not good. Beware relatives....wives....husbands and good friends. They'll tell you that you sing great........even if your voice will peel paint. Even if you beg them to tell you the truth.......they won't.

The old saying goes "if you want a pat on the back, play if for family. If you want the truth, post it here." The truth is, you have a lot of pitch issues. It's not something that can't be fixed. I seriously recommend you find a good vocal coach. Knowing the proper way to sing will get you much further than singing along with karaoke tracks.

It's difficult to hear the quality of your voice because of the recording. I don't consider myself a singer, but my son learned the love of singing from me, and he's now professional quality. He also spent 15 years of his life training and studying as well. It takes work. Mostly it will depend on your ear and the amount of dedication you have to learn. If you can hear the errors and learn to correct them, you can learn the techniques, then find your place and your voice. Anything has potential if one's willing to spend the time to learn. If Bob Dylan can do it, almost anyone can...

and volume has nothing to do with being on pitch.

What do you mean, is the recording bad quality? Thanks for your opinion btw.

++++++++++ THAT ^^^^^ Best basic advice. It seems that many who are trying to sing have great difficulty "hearing" their own issues. I think that's the VERY FIRST step toward becoming a better vocalist. (I guess that's obvious right?) If you can't hear what others hear.........you can't take the next step..........and the prognosis is not good. Beware relatives....wives....husbands and good friends. They'll tell you that you sing great........even if your voice will peel paint. Even if you beg them to tell you the truth.......they won't.

Exact reason why I went here, I wanted to hear an honest opinion so I can work on my technique etc.

The old saying goes "if you want a pat on the back, play if for family. If you want the truth, post it here." The truth is, you have a lot of pitch issues. It's not something that can't be fixed. I seriously recommend you find a good vocal coach. Knowing the proper way to sing will get you much further than singing along with karaoke tracks.

Thanks man, i appreciate your honest opinion.. I wanted to try karaoke first so I can show people what I sound like first.. I'm learning to play the guitar again, and hopefully I won't be needing "karaoke music" anymore.. and since I love singing I want to be able to sing and play to guitar at the same time.. and yeah, I can hear that I don't hit the right notes sometimes, but I guess I can work on that.. I just have to practice

And yeah, after all, Ed Sheeran had major pitch issues before, and look at him now (not that I'm comparing myself to him hahah)

And yeah, after all, Ed Sheeran had major pitch issues before, and look at him now (not that I'm comparing myself to him hahah)

The biggest hurdle I had when I started was getting used to the sound of my own voice recorded. If you take the vocal track you recorded and solo it in your DAW, you will see where you are going off the scale and what you need to work on. You noted that I sounded like I was out of breath in a few areas in my submission, and you are right. I sometimes try to force things and I get negative results. But I know I am doing it, and it's something I am working on. I noticed it when I soloed my voice and critiqued myself.

Singing a capela is easy to do. You don't have to worry about staying in key as much. Practice with karaoke; to me there is nothing wrong with it. But you have to sing your own songs too, if you want to develop your own style and your own voice. People like us, who are not naturally gifted singers have to work extra hard to achieve what others find natural.

Like I stated before, a good vocal coach can help you take the right steps to your goal.

I plan on writing my songs actually, and I'm learning guitar too atm, but there would be no point of me writing songs if I was a bad singer, that's why I had to come here first.. and yeah, I forgot to ask, did you only check my Elvis cover or other songs too?

The biggest hurdle I had when I started was getting used to the sound of my own voice recorded. If you take the vocal track you recorded and solo it in your DAW, you will see where you are going off the scale and what you need to work on. You noted that I sounded like I was out of breath in a few areas in my submission, and you are right. I sometimes try to force things and I get negative results. But I know I am doing it, and it's something I am working on. I noticed it when I soloed my voice and critiqued myself.

Singing a capela is easy to do. You don't have to worry about staying in key as much. Practice with karaoke; to me there is nothing wrong with it. But you have to sing your own songs too, if you want to develop your own style and your own voice. People like us, who are not naturally gifted singers have to work extra hard to achieve what others find natural.

Like I stated before, a good vocal coach can help you take the right steps to your goal.

...here's my Smule link btw, so maybe if you have the time you can check out my other covers, there's a lot of different genres.
ZagrebFella'''s Smule Profile

Okay...

I only listened to the songs that I knew, and there were only a couple, but a few things really stand out:

On Tears In Heaven, you were mostly flat in the beginning, but there were a couple of times, the line "and carry on", you were really strong and in key. Concentrate on that aspect of your singing and you have something.

On Give Me A Reason, same thing. Sing like you did in the chorus, and you have a really strong foundation to build on. It's the "quiet" voicing that is giving you issues. It's FLAT. A large part of singing is emotional investment. I think that is where you need the work.

EDIT: I am hearing timid in your voice. On Yesterday, whomever you were doing the duet with has a very strong vocal, yours almost sounds like you are thinking you might suck and you are not putting everything you have into the performance. See note above about emotional investment...

Sorry if I am blunt and tactless. It's in my nature...

WOW! What a difference! People Are Strange is a perfect example of what I am talking about. Jim Morrison should be a shining example to you to. His voice is far, far from perfect. He taught himself how to sing when he came up with the idea out of the blue that he wanted to be a rock star. You pulled off a pretty good performance on that one.

Eye of the Tiger is another example of staying in your range. The song is in a key too high for your voice.

Okay...

I only listened to the songs that I knew, and there were only a couple, but a few things really stand out:

On Tears In Heaven, you were mostly flat in the beginning, but there were a couple of times, the line "and carry on", you were really strong and in key. Concentrate on that aspect of your singing and you have something.

On Give Me A Reason, same thing. Sing like you did in the chorus, and you have a really strong foundation to build on. It's the "quiet" voicing that is giving you issues. It's FLAT. A large part of singing is emotional investment. I think that is where you need the work.

EDIT: I am hearing timid in your voice. On Yesterday, whomever you were doing the duet with has a very strong vocal, yours almost sounds like you are thinking you might suck and you are not putting everything you have into the performance. See note above about emotional investment...

Sorry if I am blunt and tactless. It's in my nature...

You actually gave me a really good advice, and I get where you're coming from.. But I know why my voice sounds flat on some songs, it's mostly because when I sing, I sing pretty quiet because most of the time someone's home and I don't want anyone to hear me sing (which would be why it sounds like I have no confidence sometimes I guess). It's not that my vocal range is really low, but it is pretty low when I sing quietly, which I do most of the time. Hope you understand what I'm trying to say and thanks for the comment on "People are strange" :D

Back