plays back in stereo in left channel?

yetipur

:confused:Hello,

I hope someone here can answer this question if there is a simple answer.
I am not very experienced when it comes to mixing, and I am either having an issue with the equipment I am using, or I just dont understand what I am doing wrong.

I am using a 16 track analog tascam E-16 tape machine and a 16 track tascam 450 analog mixer as well. I got my mixes with all the panning and fader moves and settings set up on the 16 track for 5 songs and then mixed each songs mix , down to a E-22 2track analog tape machine.

How do I make sure that I am mixing in stereo? I hear the play back in both monitors right and left , but the mixing person is only hearing the songs out of one channel on his monitors , and he is hearing each entire song ( in stereo) out of the left channel only. he says he is hearing sounds completely irrelevant to the songs on the right channel (sounds that must have been on the tape previously most likely since it is a used tape)

so does that mean I did not mix down in stereo? If I had , it would have recorded over those other sounds right?

I was looking around here for answers and saw something aobut "dual mono" came up, I am not sure if that is what happened?
I just need to know if there is something I did or didnt do with the mixer during my mixdown from the 16 track to the 2 track.

How do I know that I am mixing in stereo and not in mono? and not in dual mono. or is dual mono the same as stereo? Oh my , I am confused

Last edited:
its hard to say with limited information where to troubleshoot your problem. but if i had to guess it sounds like the outputs on your monitors are cabled correctly but the cables to the recorder are incorrect or routed wrong. how are you sending out to the tape? if its through the sub buss groups then you might have it summed to mono to track 1 on your 2 track recorder and something else summed to the right channel.

the only way you can monitor what is being recorded is to cable the outputs on your 2 track back into the mixer and route it through your monitors.

danny

Back