PLaying Guitar thru Garageband - Headphones vs Amp Speaker

Codeseven

Hi guys.

I love some of the amp models in Garageband 10.0.2. I'm playing an electric guitar (Gibson CS-336) using a Rocksmith 1/4" to USB cable into a MacBook Pro and it works great. I've always used my Audio-Technice M50's but recently decided to play aloud using my Fender Mustang III solid state modeling amp. On the Fender Forums it says that one of the available presets on the amp, #83 Basic Studio Amp, is a non-colored amp preset so it 'should' be a good choice for not changing the Garageband modeled amp sound. So I connected my laptops Headphone Out to the amps Aux In and dialed in to preset #83. It works but the sound is not nearly as good as my headphones. I realize there must be a big difference between headphone speakers and a single guitar amp 12" Celestion speaker. But what would be the best way to clean up a now muddied sound?

If it matters there several ways to connect the laptop to the amp,

Headphone Out -> Aux In using 1/8" stereo to 1/8" stereo
Headphone Out -> Guitar In using 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono
Headphone Out -> FX In using 1/8" stereo to 1/4" stereo (mono?)

I think my laptop puts out a line level signal. If not, I do have a Presonus Firepod audio interface I can use. One thing I could do is bypass the laptops audio using the firewire port to the Firepod. That perhaps might clean things up a bit but I'll still have to compensate for the Celestion.

Searching the net it's been suggested that perhaps turning off the speaker cabinet simulation in Garageband may make a difference.

Or, does it all come down to EQ'ing out the differences between headphone vs amp until the desired sound is achieved?

Anyone else playing guitar using modeling software thru an amp?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back