pk files

chewbacca

It seems like sometimes my pk files don't work. Has anyone else experienced this? I deleted the pk files to have cool edit re-create them. When I open my ses file, it doesn't do it, but if I go into each wav and "save as" then it will re-create the pk files also.

The problem is, when I go back to open the ses file, it takes forever to load each wav file again.

It doesn't do this all the time. Some of my sessions work without problem (the wav files load quickly, using the pk files), but then some sessions don't work.

I'm not sure, but it SEEMS like maybe I only have problems with 32-bit, 48k sessions????

Any advice or direction is appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

I had that same problem. It SEEMED to be related to the fact that I was recording in 32-bit floating point. After getting very irritated at the length of time it took to load the session files, I just went and batchfile-converted all the multitrack tracks to 16-bit, and only then would the session files open quickly. After that, I just started selecting 16-bit to record. I don't really understand what's going on with that, though.

CEP uses the PK files (I think it calls them Peak files) as a map of the waveform for processing. They are pretty small so you might as well just leave them alone.

overseas: Yeah, I think we have the same problem. It sucks that you have to go to 16-bit just to load the files quickly. I wonder how Audition works.....

pitchfork: I know they're much bigger. In my case, the 16-bit files (even large ones) load almost instantly - but the 32-bit files can take a few minutes. In fact they take the same amount of time whether the .pk file is there or not. It seems perhaps like while Cool Edit creates the .pk files to go along with the 32-bit .wav files, it doesn't really utilize them when it goes back to open the file up at a later time.

Back