pc cd drive not working

grh

I believe my cd/dvd drive has become defective. When I press the button it does not open, but when I go to my computer, and press eject, it does open. I would like a fast, and convenient solution. Would one of those extrenal cd burner/players you see for less than $30 do the job instead?

I grabbed one off Amazon for $20 a couple of weeks ago. Needed something for the laptop that has no optical drive. Plugged it in, burned a CD and everything was fine.

I think it was called a Rhoddia or something like that. It works, so its fine.

It's the first CD burner that I've bought in about 10 years. There's one in the Lenovo desktop that I bought years ago. When I bought this laptop, it's just got USB ports and a slot for the SD card, but no place to put a CD.

This is the unit I bought. ROIDDAS CD/DVD BURNER

Thanks. I may order that one. Does that one, and the others included software allow me to do everything I could do with windows media player. What I have been doing is copying my cd to computer, edit, then burn the edited version with windows media player.

Last edited:
It comes with no software. Just hardware. You can use Media Player just like on your internal drive. Its just another drive as far as Windows is concerned. I used to use Nero, but my old versions won't work with Win10. Not going to play $$ just to burn a CD.

You can get "CD Burner XP" from Ninite. I have just installed it to test on this W10 laptop and although I have not yet tried to burn a CD it installed and seems fine. I normally use Nero on a W7 laptop or Samplitude.

"Computer" was mentioned in the OP, not 'laptop'? If it is indeed a desktop just buy a new CD unit. In fact you could try opening up the case, go to Device Manager and 'Uninstall' the drive. Unplug power and data cables, boot machine. Once running, shut down, reconnect the drive and re boot. The PC will find the drive and proceed to install it. You might find it now works!

I had a drive fail a few months ago in an old W7 DT and bought two S/H drives from a 'puter repair shop for £20. One fixed it.
Had two of those USB jobbys, yes, ok. You might need a dual USB cable to get enough power for burning.

Dave.

I had a CD/DVD drive fail on a previous computer, so I bought one of those USB burners for $30, still got it, works fine.
Of course, then I opened up the computer case and found that the power connection cable to the burner had popped free. Plugged it back in, worked fine after that.

You can get "CD Burner XP" from Ninite. I have just installed it to test on this W10 laptop and although I have not yet tried to burn a CD it installed and seems fine. I normally use Nero on a W7 laptop or Samplitude.

"Computer" was mentioned in the OP, not 'laptop'? If it is indeed a desktop just buy a new CD unit. In fact you could try opening up the case, go to Device Manager and 'Uninstall' the drive. Unplug power and data cables, boot machine. Once running, shut down, reconnect the drive and re boot. The PC will find the drive and proceed to install it. You might find it now works!

I had a drive fail a few months ago in an old W7 DT and bought two S/H drives from a 'puter repair shop for £20. One fixed it.
Had two of those USB jobbys, yes, ok. You might need a dual USB cable to get enough power for burning.

Dave.
I did already read info about uninstalling the drive for my computer.(not laptop), but thank you. I did not know I may need a dual usb cable.

I had a CD/DVD drive fail on a previous computer, so I bought one of those USB burners for $30, still got it, works fine.
Of course, then I opened up the computer case and found that the power connection cable to the burner had popped free. Plugged it back in, worked fine after that.
Thanks

It comes with no software. Just hardware. You can use Media Player just like on your internal drive. Its just another drive as far as Windows is concerned. I used to use Nero, but my old versions won't work with Win10. Not going to play $$ just to burn a CD.
Why do you think there are so many reviews online of people saying they bought an external burner that there pc did not recognize?https://www.walmart.com/ip/EEEkit-E...45_10000000422&wl14=roiddas cd burner&veh=sem

Last edited:
Who knows. I had ZERO issues with it. Plug and play all the way.

The Walmart reviews only had two people, and one couldn't get it to work. Amazon has 20,000 ratings and 85% were rated 4 or 5. In my 35+ years of playing with computers, I've seen a lot of operator error that was blamed on perfectly good equipment.

Back