PayPal???

hey WS...sup?
Man, it's just that I used it for the first time as a seller yesterday.....and I have a bitter taste after the transaction...

I should have studied the details a little harder, but I don't think that would've made a diff as I have to offer it, and therefore accept the costs....fair enough, I guess.

On such a pissy amount I had to paypay so much.
Then again to transfer it into my own account, then pay ebay fees ontop of that.

I mean, as long as the buyer is happy...I guess.

know what I mean?...soz for whinin'.

cheers buddy.

Last edited:
Because corporations have to better their profits to keep their shareholders happy, you can be assured that next year the fees for Paypal will be higher

het WS...sup?
Man, it's just that I used it for the first time as a seller yesterday.....and I have a bitter taste after the transaction...

I should have studied the details a little harder, but I don't think that would've made a diff as I have to offer it, and therefore accept the costs....fair enough, I guess.

On such a pissy amount I had to paypay so much.
Then again to transfer it into my own account, then pay ebay fees ontop of that.

I mean, as long as the buyer is happy...I guess.

know what I mean?...soz for whinin'.

cheers buddy.

Ahhh...I was up a little slow on the uptake there and didn't get the PayPay dig. Now I do. That sounds like a drag. I use it all the time, but only to buy--so I've never been exposed to the dark side of the force.

look at it like this.....most of the money that is sitting in paypal accounts right now will end up in "paypal's" pocket....most of the people I know who sell stuff and use paypal end up buying something using paypal and the money they just aquired...

ex:

I sell a guitar for $200...lets say I get $194 after all the fees (im not sure how accurate that is). Then I take that 194 and purchase an LCD monitor....that guy only clears say...$188 after fees....then he takes his 188 and purchases a camera.....the camera seller clears only 181....he takes his 181 and purchases a .......well..you get the Idea....Paypal will pretty much end up with all the money in all the Paypal accounts....

look at it like this.....most of the money that is sitting in paypal accounts right now will end up in "paypal's" pocket....most of the people I know who sell stuff and use paypal end up buying something using paypal and the money they just aquired...

ex:

I sell a guitar for $200...lets say I get $194 after all the fees (im not sure how accurate that is). Then I take that 194 and purchase an LCD monitor....that guy only clears say...$188 after fees....then he takes his 188 and purchases a camera.....the camera seller clears only 181....he takes his 181 and purchases a .......well..you get the Idea....Paypal will pretty much end up with all the money in all the Paypal accounts....

I never thought of it that way, but it's a really brilliant way to see it... and I'm sure PayPal thinks the same. I think it's time to start our own "PayPal" service... anyone with me?:cool:

Because corporations have to better their profits to keep their shareholders happy, you can be assured that next year the fees for Paypal will be higher

eBay yes . . . but Paypal has not changed fees in a very long time, that I can remember. They did institute a high fee for receiving a credit card payment in a personal account, but you didn't used to be able to receive CCs without a premier account at all.

Anyway, Paypal is in a very competitive market; eBay is more of a monopoly. I've cleared about $200K through Paypal; if I could save a bit on fees, I would move away quickly. But their merchant fees are pretty much comparable to elsewhere. You can find lower rates, but then there will be monthly fees, or setup fees, or chargeback fees, etc.

I remember seeing that before....can you give us the link again?

Well, if the guy who runs this board could ever figure out how to turn the signatures back on, then you would all be seeing my links.

I also have some other cool websites that you guys would like, but I probably shouldn't advertise them here.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

So, what were we saying about PayPal?

Last edited:
"Visit Rawdepth's homepage!"

I've never sold anything on paypal. I've used it a lot as a buyer, and have had good experiences. I do take donations for a free email service I run, and they take a chunk of each of those, but since it's a donation it doesn't really bug me. In all, I guess I've taken in more money on paypal than I've paid out, but I never calculated the total fee they took.

But I've heard a lot of second-hand stories that sour me on it - like Chance's, for instance. That was really messed up.

But I've heard a lot of second-hand stories that sour me on it - like Chance's, for instance. That was really messed up.

That was not at all representative of a typical transaction. First off, group buys may violate Paypal's AUP:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/use/index_frame-outside

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

relate to transactions that . . . (d) are for the sale of certain items before the seller has control or possession of the item

I mean, his account looks like a typical eBay account, then one day $300K starts flowing into it. What do you think they should have done? Randy himself said that any other credit card processor was unlikely to have issued a merchant account given the circumstances, except that Randy had personal contacts.

My shareholder seems happiest when I stay away from this forum :D (even when I tell her what great deals are here!)

Jesus Fuckin' Christ!!! When the fuck are people going to re-start typing the English language we claim to all speak, correctly?

:rolleyes:

man,,,i heard the queen describe a painting as 'quite unique'

it's game over if the Queen doesn't speak proper english anymore.

maybe 'the Queen's English' is really referencing Stephen Fry??????????

<ps,you split an infinitive back there :P:P:P>

Last edited:
Yeah, ebay/paypal isn't cheap for sellers. Whatever your final selling price is, knock 10% off for listing fees, fval fees, paypal fees, and fee fees...

Back