Pay $1300, or be a musician and learn to tune?

lol. It's same for every forum I've been on where these guitars are bashed. All negativity is no more than speculation. Let's bash Gibson and be cool.

If you wanna bash Gibson, bash em for their worthless quality checks, not this guitar. I'm sure when electric guitar first came to life, all the classic guitar players said "wow just toy for noobs who can't play real guitar".

Let's tune by ear without tuners. That'd make us look cooler I think!
You are sooooo wrong in soooo many ways I don't know where to begin......

:D:D

You must really like the guys playing cause thats twice in this thread and once in the one I quoted..Is he paying you???

No, he's not, but Sonny is an amazing slide guitarist. Pick up one of his CD's (any of them) if you get a chance. His style is unlike anyone else's I've ever heard.

Nah, it's better to be right and respect tha other have a differing, albiet wrong, opinion.:o
&, let's face it, if no one jumped on it'd be a bandlesswaggon - or, at best, a solowaggon.
Now if it'd tune mt 12 string or mandolin I'd be interested (also if the price was $100).

Better have a different opinion than to jump on a bandwagon :rolleyes:
OK you explain to me who and when people claimed of the invention of the electric guitar "all the classic guitar players said "wow just toy for noobs who can't play real guitar"." and when you've done that you can explain to me why and how the electric guitar was required. Then you can explain to me how I'm bashing Gibson and not just this redundant piece of hype. I'll then tell you where you are wrong and give you specific examples from my 35 years building and playing guitars, exploring the history of the instrument. As a bonus I'll point out to you why tuning by ear is always preferable. Since you don't give a rats arse I'm expecting a lot really arn't I?

No, he's not, but Sonny is an amazing slide guitarist. Pick up one of his CD's (any of them) if you get a chance. His style is unlike anyone else's I've ever heard.
Only kidding with you.:D I did dig out some of his stuff after you mentioned him in the first thread. He does have a very keen approach and I like his stuff a lot, at least what little I could find.

Well, where else has a company like Gibson got to go? People already trust the name as much as they're going to, so it's not like they can say "oh, now we make _quality_ guitars." This is an interesting direction to go in, and I can see where this would be useful to a relatively small number of musicians who change tunings a lot in one show and have a lot of disposable income. And it's probably a nicer guitar than I own. But there's no way I'm ever going to own one unless I win it in a drawing or something. I don't even have a dishwasher, and I spend way more time washing dishes than tuning my guitars. There are too many other things I need to automate first.

It seems to me that there are inherent problems with a self tuning guitar. By changing the tunings constantly you are also changing the amount of stress on the neck. This would play havoc with the truss rod and the neck would end up warped or twisted. The finish would most likely be full of stress fractures. Also by tightening and loosening the strings it causes them to be work hardened which would lead to premature breakage. This guitar will end up being called the Gibson "Edsel".

Let's not get off topic...

Well, it's not about Gibson-bashing or corporate America-bashing or whatever. Gibson makes, and has made, many useful instruments (look at my avatar: that's a **Gibson**). On the other hand, it is the right -- indeed, duty -- of a company that wants to feed its owners and employees to market what they think the public will buy, at the most favorable price to themselves. I don't think that's arguable.

My objection is exactly the same as when a car salesman tries to sell me a car festooned with electro-mechanical-hydraulic doodads that add significantly to the price without improving the functionality. Electric windows? --Mechanical windows don't suddenly die in the down position in the middle of a blizzard. Automatic transmissions? -- My manual trans makes my car essentially theft-proof, among a generation of car thieves who don't know what a clutch is. Automatic seat warmers? -- Do I f%&ing LOOK like a sissy?

Thanks, and no thanks. Give me a machine, that's a MACHINE, that's well made, doesn't use a lot of gas, and will not bankrupt me to repair when it inevitably breaks or gets run into by someone driving their SUV equipped with front seat HD television, life-like surround sound (you'd swear Brittany was right there in the car with you!) and other items more appropriate to the boudoir -- or the bordello -- than inside a 3-ton assemblage of steel being driven by someone with his or her brains addled by video games and the latest cool street drug while he or she is text-messaging on a cell phone.

And an electric guitar? Six strings, two hands and one @$$hole, to quote Keith Richards.

Last edited:
It seems to me that there are inherent problems with a self tuning guitar. By changing the tunings constantly you are also changing the amount of stress on the neck. This would play havoc with the truss rod and the neck would end up warped or twisted. The finish would most likely be full of stress fractures. Also by tightening and loosening the strings it causes them to be work hardened which would lead to premature breakage. This guitar will end up being called the Gibson "Edsel".
Unlikely to be a problem. Drop tunings will not mess up the truss rod or the finish. People have been using drop tunings for generations and I can't recall have had an instrument in for adjustment or repair as a direct result of using them. I still maintain it is just a solution without a problem. Bottom line is we are all going to have to wait at least 5 or 10 years to see if the guitar buying public wants it. I know what my experience in the trade leads me to believe.

OK you explain to me who and when people claimed of the invention of the electric guitar "all the classic guitar players said "wow just toy for noobs who can't play real guitar"." and when you've done that you can explain to me why and how the electric guitar was required. Then you can explain to me how I'm bashing Gibson and not just this redundant piece of hype. I'll then tell you where you are wrong and give you specific examples from my 35 years building and playing guitars, exploring the history of the instrument. As a bonus I'll point out to you why tuning by ear is always preferable. Since you don't give a rats arse I'm expecting a lot really arn't I?

35 years and still a small time bashing big companies :rolleyes:
I'd rather not explain you shit and continue getting on your nerves ;)
You are very correct. I don't give a rats ass ;)

35 years and still a small time bashing big companies :rolleyes:
I'd rather not explain you shit and continue getting on your nerves ;)
You are very correct. I don't give a rats ass ;)

Not bashing Gibson at all, or any big company for that matter. I have loved many of their designs over the years and still do. They have inspired me more than possibly any other guitar maker. I am knocking this so called development for the reasons I have stated clearly.

It's a shame you can't elucidate on why the Electric guitar was a bad idea as far as classical players were concerned. I think there were others waiting to hear your views on that one as well. Still never mind. Oh and your not getting on my nerves, I've been insulted by experts before, so carry on..

sold out!

Musician's Friend has a banner up on their web site that says the first run limited edition of the ROBOT guitar has sold out!

Technology has done some great things for keyboards, synths and the recording industry...it had to be only a matter of time before they started applying it to guitars. I guess time will tell whether it will actually enhance musicianship or replace it. I'm all for giving good musicians better tools and if some "not so good musicians" get to sound a little better in the process....so be it.

My guess is...the old fashioned "tune it yourself" guitar is still gonna be around for a long time.

my $.02

sold out!

Musician's Friend has a banner up on their web site that says the first run limited edition of the ROBOT guitar has sold out!

Technology has done some great things for keyboards, synths and the recording industry...it had to be only a matter of time before they started applying it to guitars. I guess time will tell whether it will actually enhance musicianship or replace it. I'm all for giving good musicians better tools and if some "not so good musicians" get to sound a little better in the process....so be it.

My guess is...the old fashioned "tune it yourself" guitar is still gonna be around for a long time.

my $.02

Back