Pay $1300, or be a musician and learn to tune?

mwthompson

Croisaandwich
I know it shouldn't, but for some reason this annoys me.

http://www.tronical.com/

These are the tuners that come on Gibson's "Robot Guitar" (AKA: Expensive gimmick for douchebags.) I guess since it's a Gibson it'll be a collector's item one day. If you can't tune a guitar, you shouldn't pay over $2000 for one.

To each his own, but $1300 can buy something more substantial than self tuning tuners, in my opinion.

i wonder if it takes into account the inherent relativity of the intonation?

For that much money, it BETTER!!! Even if it is just a gimmick, it better be every bit the quality gimmick it claims to be.

It has an intonation adjustment feature as well. Turn a screw depending on the color of the blinking light.

This would be "neat" for a couple hundred bucks, but for about $1300 USD it's ridiculous. I could get a nice strat for that much... or some other piece of recording gear that would fill a niche in my setup I don't already have filled. Tuning, I can do.

My guilty gimmicky pleasure is my Peterson strobe tuner. It just looks so cool on my pedalboard... ;):D

I know it shouldn't, but for some reason this annoys me.

http://www.tronical.com/

These are the tuners that come on Gibson's "Robot Guitar" (AKA: Expensive gimmick for douchebags.) I guess since it's a Gibson it'll be a collector's item one day. If you can't tune a guitar, you shouldn't pay over $2000 for one.

To each his own, but $1300 can buy something more substantial than self tuning tuners, in my opinion.

Actually, if you were a slide player and used a bunch of different tunings it might be worth it. Sonny Landreth uses a similar system (the servos are in the body of the guitar instead of the headstock), and it serves him very well. He changes tunings for practically every song, and he used to travel with 10 guitars. Now he just uses the one, plus a backup in case he breaks a string.

But for your standard guitarist, I agree. I won't be getting one.

Actually, if you were a slide player and used a bunch of different tunings it might be worth it...

But for your standard guitarist, I agree. I won't be getting one.

I absolutely agree, but at a *much* better price. And smaller footprint, those tuners are HUGE!

As a "technology person" by nature (I LOVE my gadgets, especially my BlackBerry, or anything with blinking LEDs and LCD screens) I'm still a bit of an old curmudgeonly fart when I comes to my guitar rig. My handmade tube amp has two knobs, volume and tone. I did bend and bought a Custom Shop strat with locking tuners, a roller nut and noiseless pickups though, so I'm gettin' better. :)

Which is worse? Posting a thread covering a topic previously posted or posting a reply to said topic stating something that's been stated previously in numerous threads?

Anyone?

Well, I usually try to search before asking a question, but this was more of a vent on my part after a stressing week. :)

Which is worse? Posting a thread covering a topic previously posted or posting a reply to said topic stating something that's been stated previously in numerous threads?

Anyone?
What are you talking about? I haven't posted a thread about anything just pointed out this has been discussed in other threads. That isn't better or worse than anything. So your point is..:confused:

I'll repeat what I've said on other forums about this guitar:

Let's assume that the tuners actually work (i.e.: don't tune to "almost" 440=A, don't unexpectedly freeze, etc). Sooner or later, you'll be up on stage with the local guitar hero who tunes his Wankercaster with the $9.95 Radio Shack tuner his grandmother bought him for his 10th birthday, and you and he are NOT IN TUNE.

You can't let him use your tuner, can you? And you're sure as hell not going to use his, having dropped 2 large on this Gibson...

...so you play a set horribly out of tune with each other and neither one of you has a clue what has happened.

Incidentally, very few electronic tuners prove to be in tune with other, so this will not be an uncommon difficulty. We had a guy sit in with our band a couple of months ago who refused to use our tuner -- so we played a set with him hopelessly out of tune.

This is ignoring other issues such as reliability, repair expense, and what the warranty will actually cover, which are always problematic with new technology.

No thanks. I'll stick with my LP with Kluson Deluxes and Peterson strobe tuner and I'm still 'way over a grand to the good.

For $1,300 you should just hire someone to do this for you. And while this person is not tuning your guitar, they could be balancing your checkbook, making dinner, changing your oil, etc.

No thanks. I'll stick with my LP with Kluson Deluxes and Peterson strobe tuner and I'm still 'way over a grand to the good.

I like my Peterson. :D

When I was going to the local open mic "blues night," which normally consisted of about 10-20 musicians taking turn on stage for some 12 bar improv, we'd just tune by ear to the keyboard. Never saw an issue with it, or a need for $1300 worth of tuners.

[Flame Suit]
I see nothing wrong with innovation. I do agree that the price is ridiculous and I wouldn't buy one. BUT, if I was playing through that guitar, it wouldn't make me less skilled. I find it ridiculous that so many people talk sh!t about this guitar. I mean, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Very easy isn't it?

Many musicians don't tune their own guitars during live shows. They let their techs do it. I guess they are n00bs by your standards :rolleyes:
[/Flame Suit]

[Flame Suit]Many musicians don't tune their own guitars during live shows. They let their techs do it. I guess they are n00bs by your standards :rolleyes:
[/Flame Suit]

Cute "Flame Suit" tags. Does that work? :p

Nah, if you have the money, go for it. Unless they're no-names who can't actually afford to hire techs, but just do it because they think it's cool. Then, they're douchebags.

Sorry if you need this kind of innovation and were offended.

Yeah, it's about Gibson wanting to sell guitars...and they are as caught up in the **it's gotta be new!!!** as everybody else when it comes to hyping products.

Stradivarius didn't offer custom colors or "collector's editions."

Back