Otari MX5050 BII question- please help

chess999

ok Mx5050 users or whomever might know, I just bought a used but mint condition unit off the bay. Everything seems to check out very nicely except one thing I cannot figure out. When I record either thru the mic inputs or line inputs I only get the Left channel to record to the tape. The right channel is just being erased by the erase head but not playing anything back. Both VU meters show movement while recording but only the left shows movement and sound upon playback. I also tested the playback head in general with a prerecorded tape and both left and right play fine. I'm assuming I have an issue with just the record head #3. Is it possible these can go bad whereby only one channel is laying down signal? I just find it hard to believe that such an otherwise perfect unit would have such an unusual issue. Am I missing something else?

Check the record enable switch for that channel, I have a machine where these were sticky and not making good contact.

Check the record enable switch for that channel, I have a machine where these were sticky and not making good contact.

your right, that's the problem. what do you recommend? It appears to be the typical sealed switch deal, anyway to get contact cleaner inside those things?

I forced the little tube in there, otherwise, I think the switches are partially exposed if you take the time to disassemble that part of the machine. Not really an easy way to do it though, the switch cap doesn't come off as far as i can tell

Back