original song COME TO ME by Mason Robbie Project

johnnymegabyte

Mason Robbie Project is a 2 guitarist / songwriting team, recording original songs, as two prior bands went south, both recording EP's, but other band members were never dedidcated

Soundclick Link ---> ORIGINAL LINK REMOVED

Last edited:
Love the groove. Good tight playing. Like the flanger on the guitar.

Guitars sound pretty good to me.

Drums sound mechanical. They're kind of blah. No thump.

The bass is kind of indistinct, with one note mixing into the next. There is one note that rings out a lot louder than the others. It's kind of a common problem, but it's noticeable here.

Vocal is OK. The energy in the vocal doesn't quite match the energy in the guitars. I'd back off the reverb on both the lead and backing vocals.

Good solo. Maybe back off the reverb/delay on it a bit?

There is an awkward transition around 0:09, when the other set of guitars comes in. Stick with one of the two sets, no need to cut the first ones out...that just sounds funny.

The lead vocal is very, very loud and doesn't blend in with the music well at all. It has a different reverb that is more prominent than any other instrument, which contributes to making it sound out of place. Having the vocal mimic the guitar riff on "make our dreams come true" is kind of...cliche, I guess. I would avoid that. But hey, that's me.

Great playing on the guitar solo, though having it C would be better for the mix.

The dynamics are lost on "come", which is the first bar of the chorus. It's probably due to the loudness of the lead vocal, and it completely drowns the music out.

Not a bad attempt.

Yeah, I'd definitely back those vocals off a bit. The guitar is the real focus of this song, so letting the vocals bury it isn't doing anyone any favors.

The rhythm section could use a lot of work too. The bass and kick are buried, and the drum arrangement isn't very interesting. Without a great rhythm section, the song is never going rock as hard as it should.

I like the guitar sounds that you put together. Vox are enjoyable, lyrics are cool, as are the chorused vox. Bass is good, not over powering.

To me the drums are too dry and fake sounding, it's hard to get past them.

Timbo

Love the groove. Good tight playing. Like the flanger on the guitar.

Guitars sound pretty good to me.

Drums sound mechanical. They're kind of blah. No thump.

The bass is kind of indistinct, with one note mixing into the next. There is one note that rings out a lot louder than the others. It's kind of a common problem, but it's noticeable here.

Vocal is OK. The energy in the vocal doesn't quite match the energy in the guitars. I'd back off the reverb on both the lead and backing vocals.

Good solo. Maybe back off the reverb/delay on it a bit?

thanks for your feedback.
new mix: SoundClick artist: Mason Robbie - Hard Rock originals

Bass sounds better. Has some grit to it.

Drums are still kinda week, and the vocals are still too loud.

Try editing your OP to include the link to the new mix.

Listening to both, there is improvement in the drums. Snare has more authority in the new mix. You've still got level issues to sort out. The vocals are loud, but more than that the interaction between guitars, bass, and vocal is creating mud in your low midrange. Suggest you high pass all of the above. You might try bass at 50hz, guitars at 150. You should notice an improvement.

The guitar solo sounds tinny, and there is an unpleasant digital twang to the attack.

I think the hi-hat is a bit too loud/crispy. Low end could also use a hi pass at 38hz.

There are also some serious phase issues with the guitars. They are washed out and sometimes barely present (switch to mono and you should hear what I'm talking about). If they were a single take that was doubled, try doing two separate takes. Another thing you could try is straight up doubling the guitar track, and re-amping one side so it has different sonic qualities. That will give you the impression of big, stereo guitars and it should eliminate the phase problems.

I think the hi-hat is a bit too loud/crispy. Low end could also use a hi pass at 38hz.

There are also some serious phase issues with the guitars. They are washed out and sometimes barely present (switch to mono and you should hear what I'm talking about). If they were a single take that was doubled, try doing two separate takes. Another thing you could try is straight up doubling the guitar track, and re-amping one side so it has different sonic qualities. That will give you the impression of big, stereo guitars and it should eliminate the phase problems.
There are 2 guitar tracks, recorded by 2 different guitarists.
One on the left has a chorus pedal and more gain, Gibson Explorer into a Marshal 4x12, the one on the right is crunch / no fx, Ibanez RG Prestige into a different Marshall combo

It sounded better until the vocals came in. I don't think the constant chorus pedal on the L is adding anything.

Back