Opinion on my MIX?

Sorry - I explained badly. Mastering is to do with listening, and tweaking TINY details. Your snag is that you can't hear them for two reasons - your equipment cannot reveal them, and you don't yet have the ear training you need. The plug in is not helping your mixes - and in fairness, they rarely do without you leaping in and adjusting what the plug in does. They're not ever plug in and play - otherwise why would any one pay a real mastering engineer. In real terms it's like you want to take out somebodies appendix and have watched the you tube operation. You don't have the tools, but do have a magnifying glass and a pair of wire cutters - plus Bert Weedon's operate in a day plug in to hold the cutters for you, and snip where 90% of the surgeons snip.

It really is that basic. Why would you pay LANDR for the wav capable version when it clearly isn't working on the mp3? It will give you higher quality mush.

Distortion is not all the same - AC/DC distortion, or thrash metal distortion, or 1970s tube distortion? Distortion comes in so many varieties - some nice and appropriate and some not.

I'm not sure I can pick the two versions apart in any meaningful way. Both have very light bass? The introduction of the first distorted section works pretty well, but again, it took me a while to settle to the new tempo - but around 2 minutes the thing breaks up into mush - it's just a noise. No idea what chords are playing, what the individual rhythms are and even worse - the out of tune guitar really grates. One note flat right from the start, and a repeated one, that just kind of gnaws away at you and gets in the way. I wondered if it was having decent monitors, so I tried it in the office on good but small RCFs - very nice speakers above about 60Hz, but rolled off below and they actually sound worse on the thrashing messy section than my big ones in the studio.

So I looked at the audio - wow! It's squashed to the point of craziness. Both versions are also exactly the same as far as I can tell? What on earth did you do?View attachment 109975
Can I just ask you one last thing? if you compare this flac song from Envy, do you see the same issue? I used this a s a reference track, to me the volume seems the same as mine.

That flac has also been normalised to 0dB like yours but is NOT distorted. It's open and clear and nice sounding. It is also rhythmically spot on - you hear the guitar intro and you can tap your feet in time with the guitar and when the drums come in they come in dead on the hand clap you have been doing. Your intro is at a different tempo and when the drums come in, there's a kind of stutter because as a listener you expect that downbeat to hit the mark, and it misses - then you discover it's also at a different tempo.

The out of tune note is the repeated F - it's flat, and because it repeats it's very obvious.

We're not talking about being out by a few millisconds - of course you don't want a robotic sound, but it's just out of time - the drum fills are all over the place and it doesn't have the glue this kind of music has. The example you used shows how the timing works - can you hear where your timing slips. Did you play to a click? I hope you didn't because if you did, then that's a big issue to solve. My guess is you played the quieter section at a different temp to the one you picked for the song as a whole. How do you record your drums? Again - do you play to a click, or some kind of grid? Many drummers lick their kick and snare quantised, but not their fills - how did you do it, process wise - because something you are doing is throwing you off - and maybe the problem is lots of small issues put together - were the guitars too hot when you recorded them, and you just dropped the faders. Do a bit of Googling on LUFS - loudness is not really about maximum dB any more - the audio file you used as an example? I'd be very surprised if a commercial recording had maximum levels of 0dB - that would be considered crazily loud now and totally unnecessary as itunes, youtube and the others would detect it and 'fix' it. How did you get that clip?

It sounds pretty good to me. The unmastered mix would not play..

So you make those EQ shapes, and place the microphones and that is the sound you get in the DAW? What amps and mics?
Screenshot 2021-05-23 070534.jpg

It sounds pretty good to me. The unmastered mix would not play..

So you make those EQ shapes, and place the microphones and that is the sound you get in the DAW? What amps and mics?
View attachment 109978
I didn't record with an amp! but with an amp sims plugin! all I used to record thi s is a laptop, an external audio interface, a DAW, programmed drums plugin and my guitar, this is it.

That flac has also been normalised to 0dB like yours but is NOT distorted. It's open and clear and nice sounding. It is also rhythmically spot on - you hear the guitar intro and you can tap your feet in time with the guitar and when the drums come in they come in dead on the hand clap you have been doing. Your intro is at a different tempo and when the drums come in, there's a kind of stutter because as a listener you expect that downbeat to hit the mark, and it misses - then you discover it's also at a different tempo.

The out of tune note is the repeated F - it's flat, and because it repeats it's very obvious.

We're not talking about being out by a few millisconds - of course you don't want a robotic sound, but it's just out of time - the drum fills are all over the place and it doesn't have the glue this kind of music has. The example you used shows how the timing works - can you hear where your timing slips. Did you play to a click? I hope you didn't because if you did, then that's a big issue to solve. My guess is you played the quieter section at a different temp to the one you picked for the song as a whole. How do you record your drums? Again - do you play to a click, or some kind of grid? Many drummers lick their kick and snare quantised, but not their fills - how did you do it, process wise - because something you are doing is throwing you off - and maybe the problem is lots of small issues put together - were the guitars too hot when you recorded them, and you just dropped the faders. Do a bit of Googling on LUFS - loudness is not really about maximum dB any more - the audio file you used as an example? I'd be very surprised if a commercial recording had maximum levels of 0dB - that would be considered crazily loud now and totally unnecessary as itunes, youtube and the others would detect it and 'fix' it. How did you get that clip?
mm ok, i might go to a friend studio and look at all these things. thanks a lot for your tips.

This thread is now in the MP3 Clinic.

OP when posting up songs for others to critique, please put them in the MP3 Clinic.

Back