Opinion on my MIX?

There's a kind of drone that creeps in and keeps going. I found the drums kind of ringy and not at all clear - in fact, I liked the non-mastered mix better. Once things creep in from two minutes or so it kind of merged into a mushy was of sounds. The mastered one seems squashed to hell. For me though - the drums seem to belong to a different song? The beat of the guitar and the pulse it has fight with the random drum fills, so I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to be doing. The guitar off to one side seems a bit strange as it's kind of the focus of the song. I can't really comment on the EQ as it's just too processed for my liking. If you do your own mastering, then surely you don't need a specific mastering stage? You just keep mixing till it's what you want? You seem to have mixed a 'light' version of the song, then it ends up totally different? I suspect most people who self-produce don't do enough in the mix, and then do too much as an afterthought. with a track like this, surely making it big is part of the basic mix?

There's a kind of drone that creeps in and keeps going. I found the drums kind of ringy and not at all clear - in fact, I liked the non-mastered mix better. Once things creep in from two minutes or so it kind of merged into a mushy was of sounds. The mastered one seems squashed to hell. For me though - the drums seem to belong to a different song? The beat of the guitar and the pulse it has fight with the random drum fills, so I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to be doing. The guitar off to one side seems a bit strange as it's kind of the focus of the song. I can't really comment on the EQ as it's just too processed for my liking. If you do your own mastering, then surely you don't need a specific mastering stage? You just keep mixing till it's what you want? You seem to have mixed a 'light' version of the song, then it ends up totally different? I suspect most people who self-produce don't do enough in the mix, and then do too much as an afterthought. with a track like this, surely making it big is part of the basic mix?

Wow thanks but to me the Master sounds much better and more powerful. Are you sure?
I used LANDR AI mastering platform, you drop your mix then spits out the master, i uploaded a reference track from Mogwai, and it applies the same EQ. It’s pretty rad.

Not sure what you mean with processed, it’s distorted? Yes it’s how it should be. Like big muff fuzzy distortion, if that’s what you mean, and also the bass is heavily distored is on purpose.

when I post here sometimes I’m not sure whether people commenting understand or listen to the genre, so not sure if their opinion is technical mistake or just matter of taste

about the riff and drums, there’s nothing wrong, its the genre, the drums should be chaotic like that and doesn’t need to follow the guitar picking.

No criticism intended but while I don't like the genre personally, I've had to work with it lots - and there's a big difference in cross timing and poor timing. It's very, very loose which robs it of the urgency and killer feel.

When I say processed I mean that it's compressed to hell, squashed and is a solid wall of sound that hides virtually all the cleverer bits audible in the 'pre-mastered' example.

I think we may be using the word mastering in a totally different sense. Mastering is often doing a lot but transparently - it's bringing out some bits, it's pushing back others, it's adding a bit of sparkle or tightening a kick or snare sound, plus in this modern age, it's making hot sound louder and fuller. If you do your mix, then my question is why are you not doing this while you're mixing. Experimenting with compression on the drums and bass, and making them sit right? In yours the drums sound like they are recorded in a very live, but dull room, and the overall impression is lack of clarity and too far away mics. Then in your mastering they get mangled out of all existence.

I said I hate the genre and that's true, but I'd be listening to the kick and snare and EQ'ing them very carefully to make them drive the song - perhaps then adding some rocky reverb to the snare - maybe a slapjack, or reverb tail or the dreaded gated tail. Then I'd be looking at the bass guitar and making sure it was separated from the kick. Then the toms - then the metalwork. I'd probably group these all up with their separate effects and reduce the fader count. The guitar seems to be two distinct sections, the less distorted one and then the hit them in the face sound - but in the unmastered version the guitar is kind of odd sounding. If I did it, the entire song would stand up on it's own, and then the mastering would be far, far more gentle - mastering is the polish, the icing on the cake, the final sparkle. In your case, it's just brute force. Often when you send your work to a dedicated mastering house, you hear a better track, but really have to A/B to hear exactly what has changed - yours are chalk and cheese. Like a preset where everything is set to maximum and simply turned on.

The clash in rhythm between guitar is definitely a negative. When you work with great drummers they can play the most weird things and all the instruments still lock in and it works. Sadly, the drummer I think hasn't quite got that skill yet - so he's trying what he hears others do, but it misses. When you analyse these disrythmic parts in the big name bands and put them on a grid you can see where they are different but also where the list beat of a phrase ties up with the notes the guitar, bass or keys parts also hit.

The thing to remember is that liking a genre is not important when you talk about music. It's a common language and in yours the guitar has a repeat delay - which gives the listener a tempo - but when the percussion starts the drum tempo, which is the song tempo is different, so there's a musical 'lurch'. The solution is a click, and then alignment of the guitar delay to match the tempo. Once you get to the 4 minute mark, everything is is really loose, timing wise. The individual rhythms are great - but it's a fight as to who is the anchor. usually it's bass and drums that lock up, but it's a battle here.

PS - still like the unmastered version better - it's far nicer to listen to, although I understand you want the power of the mastered version - but there are so many nice touches in the original that get wiped out by whatever mangling that plug in does.

No criticism intended but while I don't like the genre personally, I've had to work with it lots - and there's a big difference in cross timing and poor timing. It's very, very loose which robs it of the urgency and killer feel.

When I say processed I mean that it's compressed to hell, squashed and is a solid wall of sound that hides virtually all the cleverer bits audible in the 'pre-mastered' example.

I think we may be using the word mastering in a totally different sense. Mastering is often doing a lot but transparently - it's bringing out some bits, it's pushing back others, it's adding a bit of sparkle or tightening a kick or snare sound, plus in this modern age, it's making hot sound louder and fuller. If you do your mix, then my question is why are you not doing this while you're mixing. Experimenting with compression on the drums and bass, and making them sit right? In yours the drums sound like they are recorded in a very live, but dull room, and the overall impression is lack of clarity and too far away mics. Then in your mastering they get mangled out of all existence.

I said I hate the genre and that's true, but I'd be listening to the kick and snare and EQ'ing them very carefully to make them drive the song - perhaps then adding some rocky reverb to the snare - maybe a slapjack, or reverb tail or the dreaded gated tail. Then I'd be looking at the bass guitar and making sure it was separated from the kick. Then the toms - then the metalwork. I'd probably group these all up with their separate effects and reduce the fader count. The guitar seems to be two distinct sections, the less distorted one and then the hit them in the face sound - but in the unmastered version the guitar is kind of odd sounding. If I did it, the entire song would stand up on it's own, and then the mastering would be far, far more gentle - mastering is the polish, the icing on the cake, the final sparkle. In your case, it's just brute force. Often when you send your work to a dedicated mastering house, you hear a better track, but really have to A/B to hear exactly what has changed - yours are chalk and cheese. Like a preset where everything is set to maximum and simply turned on.

The clash in rhythm between guitar is definitely a negative. When you work with great drummers they can play the most weird things and all the instruments still lock in and it works. Sadly, the drummer I think hasn't quite got that skill yet - so he's trying what he hears others do, but it misses. When you analyse these disrythmic parts in the big name bands and put them on a grid you can see where they are different but also where the list beat of a phrase ties up with the notes the guitar, bass or keys parts also hit.

The thing to remember is that liking a genre is not important when you talk about music. It's a common language and in yours the guitar has a repeat delay - which gives the listener a tempo - but when the percussion starts the drum tempo, which is the song tempo is different, so there's a musical 'lurch'. The solution is a click, and then alignment of the guitar delay to match the tempo. Once you get to the 4 minute mark, everything is is really loose, timing wise. The individual rhythms are great - but it's a fight as to who is the anchor. usually it's bass and drums that lock up, but it's a battle here.

PS - still like the unmastered version better - it's far nicer to listen to, although I understand you want the power of the mastered version - but there are so many nice touches in the original that get wiped out by whatever mangling that plug in does.
Thanks a lot for the precious advices.
Indeed the drums are programmed with a plugin, not real drums. The guitars I didn’t record with the amp but a plugin Thu from Overloud.
I did some EQing, but I’m quite a newbie and to be honest I didn’t EQ trying to make the space for different instrument frequencies. I just high cut the bass below 70hertz and the guitars below 100 hertz, so i suppose the bass should have the space between 70 and 100 hertz?
Then a low cut for high freq over 8000 hertz. I’m not sure how to do this if its the correct way.
I tried to make space with panning, left -right-center, kick and bass in the mid. Guitars left and right.
I supposed that Landr was gonna improve my mix, I even paid, not make it worst, seems strange.
Anyway I will try to compare carfully the mix and the master to hear what you are speaking about.

that's about 6 notes? You can't hi cut a bass below a certain frequency? You could low cut (hi-pass) the guitar below a certain frequency, but people seem to use these sharp filters nowadays as if they suddenly appeared in a rule book? I rarely use these shelving filters apart from chopping off things that I don't want - so I'll slice off everything below the kick drum, or the E string on the guitar as that removes noises and not music. If I have a really cutting top end to some cymbals I might be tempted there, but usually my EQ nowadays is a bit of boost to the fundamentals, and perhaps 1st harmonic, and a gentle boost to the HF on dull drums, or sparkle-less guitar. With distorted guitars it's often gentle EQ to make the two guitars if there are two sound different. So the one doing the chugging gets a bot of extra where it's working and I'll roll off the tops, and the ones doing higher twiddly stuff might get it's bottom thinned out. I'll only use the low cut of there are hums and rumbles. I find in cubase the EQ shows where the energy is, so removing or enhancing the right area is quite simple and you can see the frequency you want. If I have two guitars one goes a bit left the other right. Bass usually centered but sometimes a little to one side if a guitar plays low. You cannot slap a mastering plugin onto a bad mix and find it suddenly gets magical - as I said, they're magic and polish, not a substitution for a good mix.

In music like this - the test is simple. Can I close my eyes and picture what I am hearing - one guitar or two, Fender or Rick bass, a big stage, or small stage. 6 string acoustic or electro-acoustic, or electric with processing. A kit with one, two or three toms, ride and crash or multiple crashes?

I cannot answer those questions from the 'mastered' mix - you can hear more in the other.

If the drums and the guitar waveforms are put one on top of the other, can you see the tempo - the regular alignments? Can you hear the implied tempo of the intro and how it suddenly goes out of time on the percussion entry? If you can't this may be why your timing is shaky - with the drums programmed it has to be the guitar that drifts in and out, plus the different tempo delay. Did you play the guitar to a click?

that's about 6 notes? You can't hi cut a bass below a certain frequency? You could low cut (hi-pass) the guitar below a certain frequency, but people seem to use these sharp filters nowadays as if they suddenly appeared in a rule book? I rarely use these shelving filters apart from chopping off things that I don't want - so I'll slice off everything below the kick drum, or the E string on the guitar as that removes noises and not music. If I have a really cutting top end to some cymbals I might be tempted there, but usually my EQ nowadays is a bit of boost to the fundamentals, and perhaps 1st harmonic, and a gentle boost to the HF on dull drums, or sparkle-less guitar. With distorted guitars it's often gentle EQ to make the two guitars if there are two sound different. So the one doing the chugging gets a bot of extra where it's working and I'll roll off the tops, and the ones doing higher twiddly stuff might get it's bottom thinned out. I'll only use the low cut of there are hums and rumbles. I find in cubase the EQ shows where the energy is, so removing or enhancing the right area is quite simple and you can see the frequency you want. If I have two guitars one goes a bit left the other right. Bass usually centered but sometimes a little to one side if a guitar plays low. You cannot slap a mastering plugin onto a bad mix and find it suddenly gets magical - as I said, they're magic and polish, not a substitution for a good mix.

In music like this - the test is simple. Can I close my eyes and picture what I am hearing - one guitar or two, Fender or Rick bass, a big stage, or small stage. 6 string acoustic or electro-acoustic, or electric with processing. A kit with one, two or three toms, ride and crash or multiple crashes?

I cannot answer those questions from the 'mastered' mix - you can hear more in the other.

If the drums and the guitar waveforms are put one on top of the other, can you see the tempo - the regular alignments? Can you hear the implied tempo of the intro and how it suddenly goes out of time on the percussion entry? If you can't this may be why your timing is shaky - with the drums programmed it has to be the guitar that drifts in and out, plus the different tempo delay. Did you play the guitar to a click?
4 strings bass, 6strings guitar, the song is in D.
Here below attached the bass and guitar EQ, didn’t do much, i tried making the best sound from the amp sim directly.
Sorry hicut hipass i always confuse it :) I cut the bass lows and guitars lows 70 and 100 hearts respectively.
So the thing is I’m good at making the sound I llike from the amp, but in reality as a guitar player I always hated compressors, and I have no idea how to use them to be honest. So I usually dont compress anything lol.
The thing is that probably the LANDR reference song feature algorithm, tried to apply the Mogwai song EQ to my mix.
Now I supposed that would improve my mix and make my final master, maybe I was too ingenuous. You are saying that basically LANDR ruined my mix !
so I’m a bit overwhelmed now :D

Attachments

• 0C6C8A66-8C1E-45CF-B670-D21AB324C6CE.jpeg
    0C6C8A66-8C1E-45CF-B670-D21AB324C6CE.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 860372E2-0F98-4897-8BC6-303916F4AA7A.jpeg
    860372E2-0F98-4897-8BC6-303916F4AA7A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1

About the messed up tempo at minute 4 you are probably right that solo is a bit out. I will re-record that part.

by the way i’m glad to be better at mixing than landr.
Thing is, I dont pretend to have a professional mix, I recorded at home with really just a laptop, but just want it to be good enough

Nothing wrong with that - but for mixing onwards, a really good monitoring system is needed - one that allows you to pan, and eq properly.

Nothing wrong with that - but for mixing onwards, a really good monitoring system is needed - one that allows you to pan, and eq properly.
Eh I know, I live in a small house with my wife, very difficult. I try with headphones, some sony speakers and in the car for noe

The thing with your music is that you need to think about the people who will be listening - bass will be a popular thing - your bass content is typical of mixes done on bass imprecise (not bad, note) monitoring. I'm a bass player who uses in-ears. Quite good ones, but they are just not loudspeakers down at the bottom E down to the bottom B of my 5 string. If I play a bottom B it sounds the same as a bottom C - impossible to tune. On bigger speakers it's easy. On weaker hifi speakers again, it's difficult to hear. With your music the bass and the kick drum are important - but if you - doing the mix - can't hear it, what about the audience who can? I find it difficult living with my wife too, but that's nothing to do with music. With my decent ordinary headphones it's a bit better, but you really need speakers.

What brand and model headphones are you using? What Sony speakers are you using? If you're dealing with a home situation where you need to be quiet most of the time......that's not unusual of course. We need to know your budget too....before we can give you our best advice.

GOOD or better headphones are crucial for recording. You need a closed back for tracking and open back for mixing.........however.....there are some decent closed backs that can do both. That will keep your budget down. The AKG K371 is a good example IMO. As for monitors.....I think you might want to look into the JBL LSR 305 series. They're very popular.....for good reason.

2 cents worth of......get it right....or the best you can....and you won't keep chasing your tail.

Mick

What brand and model headphones are you using? What Sony speakers are you using? If you're dealing with a home situation where you need to be quiet most of the time......that's not unusual of course. We need to know your budget too....before we can give you our best advice.

GOOD or better headphones are crucial for recording. You need a closed back for tracking and open back for mixing.........however.....there are some decent closed backs that can do both. That will keep your budget down. The AKG K371 is a good example IMO. As for monitors.....I think you might want to look into the JBL LSR 305 series. They're very popular.....for good reason.

2 cents worth of......get it right....or the best you can....and you won't keep chasing your tail.

Mick
I'm using the Marshall monitor, these ones

do you think they are good enough? Didn' buy them for mixing but just for listening music some time ago. So I don't know.
I use a Sony blutooth speaker as well this one, it has a lot of sub bass:

Well...to be honest.....and mostly in my opinion....neither of those two are likely to be much good for mixing. The headphones might be fine for tracking....since they're closed back......so you can use them for that.....but try not to make decisions about your mix on them. The Sony speaker isn't going to cut it for critical / accurate mixing.

Tell us about how much you want to spend. Keep in mind that your goal is to find a setup that will be much more accurate....and above all...useful to you. Don't go by all the reviews on Amazon IMO. You're a pro now. Most people on Amazon doing the reviews are certainly not. We can help you. Do your best to trust us here.

2 cents worth of.....we've all been where you are.

Mick

Well...to be honest.....and mostly in my opinion....neither of those two are likely to be much good for mixing. The headphones might be fine for tracking....since they're closed back......so you can use them for that.....but try not to make decisions about your mix on them. The Sony speaker isn't going to cut it for critical / accurate mixing.

Tell us about how much you want to spend. Keep in mind that your goal is to find a setup that will be much more accurate....and above all...useful to you. Don't go by all the reviews on Amazon IMO. You're a pro now. Most people on Amazon doing the reviews are certainly not. We can help you. Do your best to trust us here.

2 cents worth of.....we've all been where you are.

Mick
Ok thanks a lot, well maybe 150 max I could spend

think a little about your chain of equipment. So far it’s not developed at the source end with just a guitar and in computer sounds, so you speakers need to reveal what the guitars do. Bass sounds, full guitar chords, harmonics, punchy percussion, vymals with lots of HF. You are going to make decisions. You have forgotten about the listeners. They could be listening on pocket money earbuds or a mega system in a nightclub, or a car with a bass woofer capable of making the car roof flex. They could be using Alexa gizmos in the bedroom or a quality hifI. If your monitors are not truthful, your mixes could be awful and you wont even know. You have a preset that has a a sub bass note an octave below what you hear but your weak bass monitors meant you turn it up. The guy in the car might end up with bleeding ears? Proper small studio speakers can have bass response quite low, but not something that can handle the bottom B string on a 5 string bass. Your music choice matters. Your music says to me, I need bass, so maybe second hand studio monitors, that will at least try. Your budget is very small for speakers. It’s not going to be truthful or even capable at that price. Watch YouTube videos of your sort of music making and see what these people have in their studios. You cannot get that sound without the right kit. Your recording system is your computer at the moment, no mic, stands, cables, audio treatment so you’ve spent modest money only. Get some great speakers. You can’t produce decent music if you cannot hear what your choices in eq and effects actually do!

think a little about your chain of equipment. So far it’s not developed at the source end with just a guitar and in computer sounds, so you speakers need to reveal what the guitars do. Bass sounds, full guitar chords, harmonics, punchy percussion, vymals with lots of HF. You are going to make decisions. You have forgotten about the listeners. They could be listening on pocket money earbuds or a mega system in a nightclub, or a car with a bass woofer capable of making the car roof flex. They could be using Alexa gizmos in the bedroom or a quality hifI. If your monitors are not truthful, your mixes could be awful and you wont even know. You have a preset that has a a sub bass note an octave below what you hear but your weak bass monitors meant you turn it up. The guy in the car might end up with bleeding ears? Proper small studio speakers can have bass response quite low, but not something that can handle the bottom B string on a 5 string bass. Your music choice matters. Your music says to me, I need bass, so maybe second hand studio monitors, that will at least try. Your budget is very small for speakers. It’s not going to be truthful or even capable at that price. Watch YouTube videos of your sort of music making and see what these people have in their studios. You cannot get that sound without the right kit. Your recording system is your computer at the moment, no mic, stands, cables, audio treatment so you’ve spent modest money only. Get some great speakers. You can’t produce decent music if you cannot hear what your choices in eq and effects actually do!
Ok, for the moment I'm trying to do my best with what I have, I have re-done 2 master versions, I'm not sure which is better, to me the second one is much better and wider, but not sure if LANDR compressed the guitars too much.
The guitars are distorted to hell, I know and I like it like that cause is Rock, but I still can't tell the difference from normal guitar distortion to "HOT" or "too compressed" to be honest, I'm quite a newbie.
I know it's an MP3 but is high quality mp3 and I didn't pay LANDR for wav yet, but I will.

At the end of the song is my doubt, not really the clean part which is easy to handle, but the distorted part.
Please give your honest opinion thanks

1st master

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LK1jBQ2v5Lus0waq9tEwHaNrNQySg8H-/view?usp=sharing

2nd master

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LK1jBQ2v5Lus0waq9tEwHaNrNQySg8H-/view?usp=sharing

Sorry - I explained badly. Mastering is to do with listening, and tweaking TINY details. Your snag is that you can't hear them for two reasons - your equipment cannot reveal them, and you don't yet have the ear training you need. The plug in is not helping your mixes - and in fairness, they rarely do without you leaping in and adjusting what the plug in does. They're not ever plug in and play - otherwise why would any one pay a real mastering engineer. In real terms it's like you want to take out somebodies appendix and have watched the you tube operation. You don't have the tools, but do have a magnifying glass and a pair of wire cutters - plus Bert Weedon's operate in a day plug in to hold the cutters for you, and snip where 90% of the surgeons snip.

It really is that basic. Why would you pay LANDR for the wav capable version when it clearly isn't working on the mp3? It will give you higher quality mush.

Distortion is not all the same - AC/DC distortion, or thrash metal distortion, or 1970s tube distortion? Distortion comes in so many varieties - some nice and appropriate and some not.

I'm not sure I can pick the two versions apart in any meaningful way. Both have very light bass? The introduction of the first distorted section works pretty well, but again, it took me a while to settle to the new tempo - but around 2 minutes the thing breaks up into mush - it's just a noise. No idea what chords are playing, what the individual rhythms are and even worse - the out of tune guitar really grates. One note flat right from the start, and a repeated one, that just kind of gnaws away at you and gets in the way. I wondered if it was having decent monitors, so I tried it in the office on good but small RCFs - very nice speakers above about 60Hz, but rolled off below and they actually sound worse on the thrashing messy section than my big ones in the studio.

So I looked at the audio - wow! It's squashed to the point of craziness. Both versions are also exactly the same as far as I can tell? What on earth did you do?clipping.jpg

Sorry - I explained badly. Mastering is to do with listening, and tweaking TINY details. Your snag is that you can't hear them for two reasons - your equipment cannot reveal them, and you don't yet have the ear training you need. The plug in is not helping your mixes - and in fairness, they rarely do without you leaping in and adjusting what the plug in does. They're not ever plug in and play - otherwise why would any one pay a real mastering engineer. In real terms it's like you want to take out somebodies appendix and have watched the you tube operation. You don't have the tools, but do have a magnifying glass and a pair of wire cutters - plus Bert Weedon's operate in a day plug in to hold the cutters for you, and snip where 90% of the surgeons snip.

It really is that basic. Why would you pay LANDR for the wav capable version when it clearly isn't working on the mp3? It will give you higher quality mush.

Distortion is not all the same - AC/DC distortion, or thrash metal distortion, or 1970s tube distortion? Distortion comes in so many varieties - some nice and appropriate and some not.

I'm not sure I can pick the two versions apart in any meaningful way. Both have very light bass? The introduction of the first distorted section works pretty well, but again, it took me a while to settle to the new tempo - but around 2 minutes the thing breaks up into mush - it's just a noise. No idea what chords are playing, what the individual rhythms are and even worse - the out of tune guitar really grates. One note flat right from the start, and a repeated one, that just kind of gnaws away at you and gets in the way. I wondered if it was having decent monitors, so I tried it in the office on good but small RCFs - very nice speakers above about 60Hz, but rolled off below and they actually sound worse on the thrashing messy section than my big ones in the studio.

So I looked at the audio - wow! It's squashed to the point of craziness. Both versions are also exactly the same as far as I can tell? What on earth did you do?View attachment 109975
Woooa, seems like I made a mess but I'm not really aware, honestly to me it sounds good, but again I'm not an expert! I might ask a friend who has a recording studio to help me fixing this and give me some lessons.

SO you are speaking about execution? maybe some parts are not perfectly synchronized, I should re-record, but honestly in the part where the drums come in, I don't hear any out of tune guitar, and the rithm seems synchronized to me, if I play it without amp sim plugin, only line guitars, they are aligned the solo and the rythm guitar, maybe some milliseconds out but I cannot play every note exactly synchronized at that level I'm not a machine.

ABout the audio squashed, do you mean it's clipping?

Back