Old POD XT vs amp sim plugin

Yes, the custom shop lets you try before you buy. You can even get an amp and record a song with it if you just need it for one song or whatever. It last for 3 days.

So far, I really enjoy amplitube, FWIW. I got a good deal from Sweetwater and got the all-in bundle for around half price (had some rebates lying around that helped, too). It was a daunting install but I suspect that was user error to a large extent. But, with all of that being said, it blows the POD xt straight out of the water and makes it run away crying like a little girl.

Very impressive tones, worth the hassle of the install. The only thing that kind of throws me off is that there is a noticeable amount of latency - when I pick a note, there is an obvious amount of delay between when the note is picked and the note sounds in the box. It's noticeable in both standalone and within Cubase. Is there a way to adjust for this somewhere within Amplitube?

pikingrin: You need to open the control panel for your soundcard & set it as low as you can without pops/crackles/dropouts man, you've probably got it set pretty high, that's why you have so much latency...You'll have to play around with it to find the sweet spot...

pikingrin: You need to open the control panel for your soundcard & set it as low as you can without pops/crackles/dropouts man, you've probably got it set pretty high, that's why you have so much latency...You'll have to play around with it to find the sweet spot...
That's what I figured; I haven't messed around with the settings since I originally installed the new interface. Thought that maybe there were compensation settings somewhere within Amplitube but it makes sense as it's all through the Focusrite ASIO driver. Thanks!

I did the Free version, it really sounds as good as said.
Its like having some sound tech setup the amp or something, alot of the presets sounded really good.

I couldnt get the free-version to play with Reaper, it got loaded in the "fx" VST, but I wasnt getting it to work in that way......I did get a test drive with it on the desktop though.

Revisited the Gearbox and Gold Bundles and there are some good ones there......

I think my opinion, first test drive is Amplitube sounds better and has better sounding presets. Gearbox sounded muffled on the majority of presets and my own saved tones.....in the Gold Bundle I found some that were very good, but it was a minority.

Amplitube had something going on thats really pleasent to my ears....ymmv

The only thing that kind of throws me off is that there is a noticeable amount of latency - when I pick a note, there is an obvious amount of delay between when the note is picked and the note sounds in the box. It's noticeable in both standalone and within Cubase. Is there a way to adjust for this somewhere within Amplitube?

And here in lies my conundrum. This is kind of why i don't want to see items like the Pods and other outboard amp sims vanish, just becasue 'there is an app for that' I am sort of bummed out that the new amplifii stuff Line 6 is putting out is going that way. IMHO i think it sort of silly. But what do i know i am just the end user who doesn't care for bells and whistles.

I think my plan of attack is to use my Pod in addition to amplitube. I'll do my tracking with my POD and a tone i know i am cool with it and send it out to the left channel and then send a dry signal out through the right and run amplitube as a post effect on it and create tones that way. Should it turn out better than the POD signal i'll just blow that one out. Or mix it super low and just use it as filler for a doubled guitar so to speak. I dunno. this is the design i have in my head.

Even though i do not like cloned guitar track doubling, I think that might work easier to combat the latency issue and make use of the direct monitoring on the POD.

And here in lies my conundrum. This is kind of why i don't want to see items like the Pods and other outboard amp sims vanish, just becasue 'there is an app for that' I am sort of bummed out that the new amplifii stuff Line 6 is putting out is going that way. IMHO i think it sort of silly. But what do i know i am just the end user who doesn't care for bells and whistles.

I think my plan of attack is to use my Pod in addition to amplitube. I'll do my tracking with my POD and a tone i know i am cool with it and send it out to the left channel and then send a dry signal out through the right and run amplitube as a post effect on it and create tones that way. Should it turn out better than the POD signal i'll just blow that one out. Or mix it super low and just use it as filler for a doubled guitar so to speak. I dunno. this is the design i have in my head.

Even though i do not like cloned guitar track doubling, I think that might work easier to combat the latency issue and make use of the direct monitoring on the POD.

I never have an issue with latency. I understand not everyone can have top of the line MacBooks which is what I have. But, that really doesn't seem to be the issue. Before I was able to afford the computers I have now, I remember having latency early on and being able to fix it early on. I use Focusrite firewire interfaces. They aren't expensive and they have been one of my greatest finds. They have a zero latency digital mixer option when it comes to recording, however obviously that doesn't apply to a plug in.

Today, I feel like most computers out there, even for a low price, have more than enough. If I had to, I could go out and buy a 500 dollar laptop to use Amplitube with no noticeable latency.

I think outboard amp sims will go away as we go, and we will start seeing hardware as a midi controller to it. If you look at the Axe Fx for example, you see something that is currently not available in amp sims on a Pc/mac, however it will get there. It could probably be done right now.

Computers keep increasing in power, yet most apps are decreasing in their need for power for the average person. Including DAW's which work to use less nowadays. Today, I can edit a video in final cut pro, with no stutters at all, while at the same time mixing down the audio for the video in Logic Pro X, both open at the same time and never notice anything.

I use the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, but when I go to my parents house I bring my laptop and the Amplitube iRig HD and use that.

That's what I've got, the saffire pro 40, and it's a nice unit. I just needed to adjust the buffer size a little; amplitube works fine now. :thumbs up:

That's what I've got, the saffire pro 40, and it's a nice unit. I just needed to adjust the buffer size a little; amplitube works fine now. :thumbs up:

Cool. Yeah, I keep my buffer on Logic Pro X on 128. However, my computer will handle more than that but I don't feel the need. Because I get no latency at that. I'm not sure what the standalone buffer is set on with Amplitube, the default, and it works good.

Back