ok aother question about recording level [with audio sample]

ikon

http://www.ikonthekannibal.com/mixing/audio.html its in .wav format too, also dont laugh at my terrible singing ro choice of song lol....i needed a sample

ok im using pretty low end budget stuff and im trying to get the best signal i can with what i have,
using a mxl 770 mic, m -audio fast track, art tube studio mp preamp, and adobe audition.....now i got my preamp input set at +40 and the output at +5, the mic input on the m-audio turn all the way down.......

my questions are what changes in the input/output should i make giving the sound? and also most my vocals sound relatively this way on every track i tried to sing as a sample....i know its a vocal to vocal thing but would you do to this particular vocal as far as eq if any? or even compression....any help is appreciated....like i said im just looking to get the best sound i can for the budget im aloted.

Last edited:
lol no help....you guys ask for a auio sample in wav format, what we record with and no replies......if anyone can give me input so i know if im even in the general right direction i would be grateful

I think everyone is confused, so I'll bite:

You're running the mic into an Art preamp with 40dB of gain on the preamp (fine) and then 5dB of additional output gain (STOP THAT) and running it into a M-Audio Fast Track - LINE in (fine?) or MIC in (really, really bad)?

I only asked as you added "mic input on the M-Audio all the way down."

OK. I listened to the sample and I don't hear anything wrong with it.

Like John said, don't bother goosing the output gain. Turn that back to unity.

The gain setting on the preamp is irrelevant. The signal level is what you need to worry about. If you don't have any analog meters, just sing a steady, medium-loud note into the mic and adjust the gain so that the input meters on your DAW read around -18dbfs. If there is no scale on thost meters, just get the meter to read about half way up the scale.

That's really all there is to it.

Back