Odd Splicing Block Problem

bmg

Strange problem:

I have a favorite metal splicing block I've used for many years.
When I went to use it the other day, I see there is something in the 45° groove; the one I use the most.
It was stored in a humid environment for some time, so I'm thinking it may be rust.
I've tried to clear the channel, but to no avail, as the groove is so shallow.

Any ideas to salvage this block?

6/0 Jewelers saw blade is about 7 mil and a single edge blade about 9 mil. In a saw frame or just by hand, should be able to clean out the gap. Clean up with 400 to 600 wet dry sandpaper. Reminds me that I've been meaning to mount mine on a plaque of some sort (1/4 to 2 inch).

I haven't touched a splicing block in years. I did find a roll of splicing tape a while back in a box of assorted parts. No telling if it would still stick to anything after this long.

I remember slicing blocks. They never worked for me.
Get an eyeglass to see what is in there.
I've got a good friend who is a bit older than me with much more experience in analog editing. His specialty for years was editing music for gymnasts and ice skaters. It is an art of subtlety to trim the duration and timing of a piece to match the choreography. The trick is to meticulously keep track of all the tape bits. I helped him build his first non-linear editing set up. Every time we get together, he thanks me for helping him make his work so much easier. My blocks have long been idled.

I'd love to hear the retro analog guys try to explain to me how much more organic editing tape by cutting it up with a razor blade sounds than using software. To me, it is like going back to a rotary dial phone, just not interested.

Is the block aluminum? Most that I used were, since you wanted something non magnetic. Aluminum oxide can be cleaned off with mild acidic compounds like vinegar or lemon and some scrubbing.

Back in college, when I was 17, and loitering around the music department generally, I did a bit of splicing in one of the piano practice rooms.
I bought a tenor recorder, and taped long recordings of each note, then chopped up the tape into note length sections. Then I
spliced them together to make a composition. I played the constructed tape back on a cassette recorder, using the volume dial as a manual ADSR.
Someone overheard, and asked me what synth I was using.

Thanks for all the ideas.
Yes, it's an aluminum block - and vinegar sounds like a good idea.
I used to love manual splicing when that's all there was.

I used to drape long pieces of tape on a mic stand across my room and be able to adjust the tension just right for some loops that were minutes long.
I was surprised to find the blocks and those great Xedit tabs that were still sticky, as they are a necessity when transferring old reels, as the edits sometimes let go.
As for buying NOS - you know how it is - anyone that has them wants a fortune.

Bob Ostertag has a novel way of suspending his loops:
R-600041-1618446774-8706.jpg
Would love to hear that recorder piece - sounds interesting!

Tried all the suggestions (but not the blades), but was unable to get any to work.
(A shame, as it's a nice block.)

Was in a proper jeweller shop yesterday, they said they would happily clean the grooves in a head block. They thought it quite a large thing to work on compared to their usual tiny work, with their tiny tools. They said even easier if it would fit in their ultrasonic cleaner bath. Try you local one.

Ultrasonic cleaners are amazing.
I once had a job assembling Penny & Giles mixing desk faders, and we used a small ultrasonic bath.

Back