Odd issue with a new Model 24

I have had a Model 12 for about a year and just bought a Model 24. I have set it up as per the manual but I find that with four mics plugged in I get signal on the board from all four with the sliders all the way down and each channel muted... What am I doing wrong?

Do you have PFL selected?

One word of warning. Be careful when watching any YouTube videos about these Tascam units - there are some very popular videos created by people who don't have the faintest idea about what they are doing. I've been helping a friend with a Model 16 and she was doing all kinds of odd things (like mixing through the PFL bus) because some guy on YouTube said that was they way it should be done.

Do you have PFL selected?

One word of warning. Be careful when watching any YouTube videos about these Tascam units - there are some very popular videos created by people who don't have the faintest idea about what they are doing. I've been helping a friend with a Model 16 and she was doing all kinds of odd things (like mixing through the PFL bus) because some guy on YouTube said that was they way it should be done.
No.. the problem was when I used the main bus... I'm going to try the sub bus because I see behavior there more like what I expect... am I barking up the right tree?

What output are you taking the signal from - headphones, main outs, USB, etc?
I have a USB connection to the computer but I also have a SUB Out connection to the line in on the computer... I have not tested that yet but I plan to today. The DAW is Sonar X11 and the PC is Windows 10. Everything set up according to the manuals.

I have a USB connection to the computer but I also have a SUB Out connection to the line in on the computer... I have not tested that yet but I plan to today. The DAW is Sonar X11 and the PC is Windows 10. Everything set up according to the manuals.
This is what happens if I go online before my first cup of tea.... It's Sonar X3 and Ableton 11.... Now to the teapot.... sorry to look stupid so early in the day...

The USB connection is taken straight after the mic preamp, if I remember correctly, so the behaviour you are seeing is absolutely normal. You usually want the minimum of processing on the way into the computer so that you can do all the processing after things have been recorded. The only active control when recording via USB is the input gain control.

There are two master send channels that can be sent via USB which carry the main mix output but you would normally only use these if you were mixing down via the Tascam. These will probably appear as channels 23 and 24 so you need to set Sonar to record from inputs 23 and 24 when you are mixing down.

Ignore the Sub out - you'll only confuse things if you try to use it.

The manual (and the firmware for that matter) isn't well written on these devices and it expects you to be an expert with the recording process before you even start. While it appears to be aimed at the home recordist, there are too many gotchas for the unsuspecting user and I'm really surprised that the device is so poorly thought out.

The USB connection is taken straight after the mic preamp, if I remember correctly, so the behaviour you are seeing is absolutely normal. You usually want the minimum of processing on the way into the computer so that you can do all the processing after things have been recorded. The only active control when recording via USB is the input gain control.

There are two master send channels that can be sent via USB which carry the main mix output but you would normally only use these if you were mixing down via the Tascam. These will probably appear as channels 23 and 24 so you need to set Sonar to record from inputs 23 and 24 when you are mixing down.

Ignore the Sub out - you'll only confuse things if you try to use it.

The manual (and the firmware for that matter) isn't well written on these devices and it expects you to be an expert with the recording process before you even start. While it appears to be aimed at the home recordist, there are too many gotchas for the unsuspecting user and I'm really surprised that the device is so poorly thought out.
That's got it... thank you!!! I like to do my preliminary, live, mix from the board... I do it dry (no effects) and set the DAW at zero db for each channel. The I do all post processing at the DAW. I'm an old-timer -- I got my experience in radio stations and early recording studios (but mostly radio stations) back before sliders when the fader was a pot the size of your fist and there were no effects. I am trying to build on that without losing the purity of those earlier days... I don't do rock or rap/hip-hop... mostly very old (Hank Williams era) country and old (Blind Willy McTell era) blues.... so lots of effects are not necessary or desirable. I may add some compression at the board if necessary but I try to avoid even that. I hoped this new board would give me some flexibility in terms of more channels for live instruments and such things from my keyboard as organ and piano and keyboard bass, and it looks as if it might.

Again, thank you!!

--P

That's got it... thank you!!! I like to do my preliminary, live, mix from the board... I do it dry (no effects) and set the DAW at zero db for each channel. The I do all post processing at the DAW. I'm an old-timer -- I got my experience in radio stations and early recording studios (but mostly radio stations) back before sliders when the fader was a pot the size of your fist and there were no effects. I am trying to build on that without losing the purity of those earlier days... I don't do rock or rap/hip-hop... mostly very old (Hank Williams era) country and old (Blind Willy McTell era) blues.... so lots of effects are not necessary or desirable. I may add some compression at the board if necessary but I try to avoid even that. I hoped this new board would give me some flexibility in terms of more channels for live instruments and such things from my keyboard as organ and piano and keyboard bass, and it looks as if it might.

Again, thank you!!

--P
I spoke too soon... done this way all of the mixing is in the Tascam... that means that the DAW sees just a single, mixed, audio stream... I really need to put separate Tascam channels into individual DAW channels... is there a way to do this that I'm missing? The goal is a rough mix at recording time with the Tascam and a final, smoother mix on the DAW in post production.... then, of course, mastering.... where am I going wrong?

--P

You can't do what you want to do with the Tascam. It may be time to change your approach because most mixers with individual channels sent to the DAW work in the same way as far as I know (certainly the Zoom Livetracks do, as do the Soundcraft 22MTK and the Behringer X32). If you really want to work in the old way you'll need an analogue desk with post fader direct outs or group outputs and a separate audio interface with sufficient inputs.

Back