Model 16 and 24

Joseph Hanna

I have a Model 24 and a Model 16. As far as the interface side they're nicely tucked together as an aggregate device so I have successfully linked them as one, at least as far as Pro Tools and or Studio One is concerned. Essentially it shows up as a 40-channel interface. Plays nicely although Studio One accepts the aggregate begrudgingly.

The actual audio routing becomes a problem and here's the scenario. The Model 24 acts as the main audio out and is routed to the Control room outs. Everything about the Model 24 works as designed. Zero issues. I tie the Model 16 (audio-wise) to the Model 24 via the Sub-Outputs of the 16. The Sub outputs of the Model 16 are routed into a stereo channel back to the Model 24. That works like a charm. I have a coveted series of Strymon ambient hardware effect devices. On Model 24 I use the internal FX send and return (negating the 24's internal FX) for one of the devices and the Monitor 1 send for a second device. Works flawlessly.

However, the same scenario on the Model 16 is a bit more sketchy. As far as just audio and listening in real time it works as it should. The problem arises on layback (bounces) to Pro Tool. The FX's, either the internal or the external (the Strymon devices) on the 16 do not route out the sub mix. Therefore the bounce to Pro Tools is absent of those effects.

I just can't figure out a way to route the FX and Monitor 1 send and returns of the Model 16 back out of the sub-mix to the Model 24 and onward to Pro Tools.

Any thoughts?

Back